Nvidia GT200b rumours and speculation thread

TMU's follow the shaders...so it will have a full complement of them to go with its 240 shaders if that is indeed the configuration.

The GT300 story makes no sense. The 55nm GT200 is still a big chip at 470mm^2. Their next monster has to be on 40nm out of necessity. And where are all the 40nm GT2xx derivatives to replace the G9x series cards?

Remember Arun's theory on GT300's memory bus width and RAM type, etc ?
That would leave a lot of empty space in the die, ready to be filled with... something.
Besides, making huge chips isn't exactly new at Nvidia (NV30, NV40, G80, GT200, etc).

Well it would make sense if they found a way to improve on compute density the way AMD did with RV770. A 256-bit / GDDR5 setup at ~500mm^2 on 55nm could put up some good numbers in that case. But that begs the point - why release the GTX 295 now?

Considering GTX295 will be released in January i wouldn't expect GT300 until late Spring at best and that certainly isn't 1Q09.

pjbliverpool, GTX295 has GT200s at GTX260 clocks but both of them will use all 240 ALUs, not 216 like in GTX260. GTX285 will be the fastest single-GPU card on the market for the time being and GTX295 won't be twice as fast as GTX285. The difference will probably be closer to +50% or something.

Besides, making huge chips isn't exactly new at Nvidia (NV30, NV40, G80, GT200, etc).
I don't think NV30 was particularly huge - IIRC it was smaller than R300 (which was indeed considered quite large by that time) though as we all know it used not quite very mature 0.13um technology (not that a perfect 0.13um process would have helped).

performance "preview" because otherwise they would've lied about having THE performance card at the end of the year.

6800Ultra quantities available mid january.

You base this assumption on what?

You base this assumption on what?

it being very late to market in the first place. the 55nm GTX parts should have been launched six months ago and yet it only shows up in very low volume workstation cards. ramping up another 4 weeks to the store shelves, it just sounds like paper-launching to me.

The only way that could have happened is if the GTX 2XX series was released at 55nm. The GTX 2XX series was launched 6 monthes ago, June 16.

rev B2 samples were produced 5 weeks after the on-sale gt200 A2 revisions.
To me, that makes it look like they had every intent to use the 65nm part as a safety cord should the 55nm product fail to come to fruition before the intended launch date.

In my opinion they had a very hard time getting the GT200 to 55nm where the G92b should have paved to way on that process' regard. That's a full year between (first) tape-out and appearing on the store shelves.

it being very late to market in the first place. the 55nm GTX parts should have been launched six months ago and yet it only shows up in very low volume workstation cards. ramping up another 4 weeks to the store shelves, it just sounds like paper-launching to me.

It may very well be a paper launch for early previews. But if they clearly label it as such. You cant really call it a Geforce 6800U, Or a 7800 Ultra. If they can meet their target supply and meet demand for it on the actual launch date. Then its not at all like the 6800U or 7800 Ultra. But before you condemn Nvidia for doing this. Remember ATI did the exact same thing with the HD4870X2 and launched a preview weeks before it was available.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUzMSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember ATI did the exact same thing with the HD4870X2 and launched a preview weeks before it was available.

The 4850X2 would be a better example.
I just don't see the use of over-producing a very, very expensive card a few months before you new generation should kick in.

The 4850X2 would be a better example.
I just don't see the use of over-producing a very, very expensive card a few months before you new generation should kick in.

Nope. The 4870X2 is the perfect example. Because its an identical preview/launch time frame.

Here it is. A shot of the G206 IHS.

28.jpg

Courtesy of Firing Squad

Here it is. A shot of the G206 IHS.
Courtesy of Firing Squad

Yikes! That is a sample chip isnt it?

B2 samples were around week 33-35(august) and around 10 weeks later for this chip a B3 at the start of november is too quick for another sample and then production run.

Surely they're not releasing this card just using samples :cry: Calculating forward early february is earliest can see production B3 chips isnt it?

(Please someone tell me my maths is wrong!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back