Nvidia GT200b rumours and speculation thread

During NVidia's quarter results conference call they indicated that 55nm is already in production, so it's not "problems" in that sense. It's simply that they also indicated that they have a lot of 65nm left to run through as well. One can tell that the 4000-series of cards has thrown them off on a number of fronts, from ASP targets/predictions to demand/supply issues as well.

OK but pushing 55nm GT200 as fast as possible will mean lower costs for NVIDIA and possibly a little faster clock. All these should make 'a new' GTX280 more competitive to HD48xx/4870x2 than current 65nm revisions.

Ehh.. I don't think the mentioned GT200 55nm, but ofcourse they already had G92b in production..
But with no announcements at nvision it could be a bit more than a die shrink and take of coure (probably as they know they can't take the performance crown back with just a shrink and it's maybe 10% clock increase).

Ehh.. I don't think the mentioned GT200 55nm, but ofcourse they already had G92b in production..
But with no announcements at nvision it could be a bit more than a die shrink and take of coure (probably as they know they can't take the performance crown back with just a shrink and it's maybe 10% clock increase).

Well, i don`t think NVIDIA wants to take performance crown back with GT200B. The only thing what it has to do is release GPU which will be more competitive (price/performance) for HD4870 and HD4850x2. So that means GT200B doesn`t have to bring significant performance bump but more likely better price. Performance equal to GT200@65nm with about 100$ lower price should be great. When all these thing will come true of course.

So that means GT200B doesn`t have to bring significant performance bump but more likely better price. Performance equal to GT200@65nm with about 100$ lower price should be great.

That'd be about the smartest thing, Nvidia could do atm apart from actually rushing out a single-chip card that's beating the X2s hands down - and we all know what the chances for this are... :)

OK but pushing 55nm GT200 as fast as possible will mean lower costs for NVIDIA and possibly a little faster clock. All these should make 'a new' GTX280 more competitive to HD48xx/4870x2 than current 65nm revisions.

The problem with that is what Carl B is pointing out.

Nvidia finds itself in the corner. They have a part that is selling much lower than they expected. Probably low enough that they are making little to no money on it. Nvidia isn't in a position to squeeze it's AIBs right now for fear they'll lose more exclusive AIBs.

Added to that is the fact that it's not selling well. Thus creating a situation where supply is, oddly enough considering the rumored low yields, much greater than demand.

Thus Nvidia is in a situation where it needs a part that remains competitive but is cheaper to produce, but at the same time it has an inventory of existing chips it has to clear out.

What do they do? If they bring out a competitive chip that is cheaper to manufacture and sells for the same price point they an get some margins back although it won't necessarily help with market share.

A result of that is they either have to continue selling existing stock at it's current prices or reduce the price to move it quickly.

In the first case, they erode the capability of the new chip to make money and it doesn't really move the old chips.

In the second case, they can now make much better margins or see a profit with the new chips, however they'll take massive losses on existing inventory. This might not be a bad thing however, as inventory that is just sitting there not selling is costing them money every day it sits there.

Nvidia isn't in a very enviable position right now. Facing the prospect of having to write off whatever inventory (and they make it sound like a lot) of G8x, G9x, and G2xx in order to introduce a new chip that is still competitive from a price/performance standpoint that is cheaper to produce.

I'm positive Nvidia will come out of this just fine. But in the short term, 1-2 years I'd expect, it's going to hurt them a bit financially. Whether it has the same impact as the situation ATI had with R600 remains to be seen. None of the products can be seen in as low a light as R600, yet ATI had far less inventory of R600 to deal with (when it released the Rv670) than Nvidia has stock of G8x, G9x, G2xx (when it releases whatever the next chip is).

Regards,
SB

Not sure if this is news but HardOCP claims the new 216SP GTX 260 is a 55nm part...

HardOCP: BFGTech GeForce GTX 260 OCX MAXCORE Review

Being driven by NVIDIA’s partners today, in a move startlingly similar to the old GeForce 8800 GTS 640/320 GPU to 512MB GPU, NVIDIA’s partners are launching a new GeForce GTX 260 GPU to replace, not supplement, the existing model. There are two big changes in this new GPU, first it has undergone a die shrink to 55nm, and second there are 24 more streaming processors enabled for a total of 216. That is all that has changed. The GPU core still has an NVIDIA recommended clock speed of 576MHz, the streaming processors at 1242MHz, and the 896MB of GDDR3 still runs at 1.998MHz; these are the same clock speeds as the original GeForce GTX 260.

I'm gonna go ahead and call shens on that. There hasn't been any news about a 55nm GT2xx-derived part coming back from the last respin yet.

Click!

This is the Zotac GTX260-216 board and the marking on the GPU cap clearly reads "A2".
Shouldn't the 55nm chips be marked with "B" suffix, anyway?

Its just that the term is rarely used around these parts.

Anyway getting back to topic, any news on G200B?

If the elsa roadmap is correct, surely the G206 = G200B?

Oh snap thats a nice find Arty! I am in the market for an upgrade of my video cards and I would be most interested in Nvidia's offerings. I was about to purchase a pair of 280 GTXs but then I saw this post.

Back