NVIDIA GT200 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but i could compare a 100 dollar HD3450 (i think they're cheaper than that) with a 8800 GS/9600 GSO at the same price level, if you'd like...

See here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1166842&postcount=1586
I specifically mentioned the bargain that is the 8800 GTS 512MB at current prices.
Your second post says that, not the original one. ;)

I tend to criticize the leader for it's shortcomings.
Sorry if i didn't meet your expectations. :p
Then I believe you're mighty pissed at how poor the GX2 scaling is as of today .. :p

you'll love this quote then :D

"Advanced Micro Devices' ATI graphics chip unit doesn't want to build "huge" chips like rival Nvidia, an executive says."

""We took two chips and put it on one board (X2). By doing that we have a smaller chip that is much more power efficient," said Matt Skynner, vice president of marketing for the graphics products group at AMD.

"We believe this is a much stronger strategy than going for a huge, monolithic chip that is very expensive and eats a lot of power and really can only be used for a small portion of the market," he said. "Scaling that large chip down into the performance segment doesn't make sense--because of the power and because of the size."

Skynner said that AMD tries to design GPUs (graphics processing units) for the mainstream segment of the market, then ratchet up performance by adding GPUs rather than designing one large, very-high-performance chip.

Nvidia's "strategy is to design for the highest performance at all cost. And we believe designing for the sweet spot and then leveraging for the extreme enthusiast market with multiple GPUs is the preferred"

Theoretically speaking is a good idea, reality on the other hand... I mean, it's not the first time we hear this story from different IHVs.
At least AMD has the engineering talent to deliver on this vision; interesting times ahead ;)

8800GTX: $599
2900XT: $399

8800GTS 512MB: $299
8800GT: $249
3870: $219
But ATI never intended the prices to be that low; they were forced to drop the prices to that level because the performance turned out to be so dismal that it was the only way they could sell any.

8800GTX: $599
2900XT: $399

8800GTS 512MB: $299
8800GT: $249
3870: $219

Whats next? Comparing a $169 9600GT to a $100 3450? :LOL:

Sorry serenity, but if the 2900XT had actually preformed, we would've see a comparable $549 or there abouts price tag on it. It didn't and AMD dropped the price even further.

Same thing with the 3870, it's supposed to be a superior part. It isn't, hence the related price difference.

US

Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:33 PM
Subject: IMPORTANT - Revised launch date: D10U (GeForce GTX 280 & 260)
Importance: High
All,
Please note the new launch date (pulled in by 1 day to align with additional Corporate Marketing initiatives): June 17th.
There are no other changes to this launch –just the 1-day date change.
Please note there are ***2 embargo dates*** for this part:
1) Channel Customer Embargo: June 3rd, 2008 (06:00 PST |14:00 GMT)*
2) Consumer/Press Embargo: June 17th, 2008 (06:00 PST |14:00 GMT)
* Channel Customer Embargo (June 3rd, 2008): To ensure there is no disruption of your current products in the channel, we are imposing an embargo for discussing these new products with your other etail, distributor and retail Channel Partners; this is the date NVIDIA will begin discussing with these Channel Partners.
PLEASE MAKE A NOTE OF THIS NEW DATE AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.
Thank you
Phil

Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:27 PM
Subject: IMPORTANT: D10U (GeForce GTX 280 & 260) Marketing Materials now available
Importance: High
***********************************************************************************
CONFIDENTIAL AND UNDER NVIDIA NDA
DO NOT DISCUSS THESE PRODUCTS OR MATERIALS EXTERNALLY UNTIL AFTER THE EMBARGO DATES BELOW:
3) Channel Customer Embargo: June 3rd, 2008 (06:00 PST |14:00 GMT)*
4) Consumer/Press Embargo: June 18th, 2008 (06:00 PST |14:00 GMT)
***********************************************************************************
Hello,
The following items are available NOW on NVONLINE (Partners.nvidia.com) for you to download:
· AIC Spec Document (to be updated with final clock specs next week; most needed information is currently available in this version)
· Box Templates with guidelines
These additional items will be available on NVONLINE starting next week (we will communicate to you when these are available):
· User Documentation (QSG and User Manual)
· Key Visual Assets
· Product Photography
· Final clocks/specs for AIC Spec Document
• Email Template
• Ad Template
• Landing Page
• Web banners
Note, that all items on NVONLINE are secured using the Adobe Policy Server – you will need your company’s respective log in information and a PC running Adobe Acrobat Reader version 7 or higher to access these files. IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to security policies within NVIDIA, ".zip" some files attached to certain Adobe PDFs have been renamed with a ".zipp" file ending. To successfully open these ".zip" files, be sure to rename them to end in ".zip" (instead of ".zipp" ) when saving to your machine.
* Channel Customer Embargo (June 3rd, 2008): To ensure there is no disruption of your current products in the channel, we are imposing an embargo for discussing these new products with your other etail, distributor and retail Channel Partners; this is the date NVIDIA will begin discussing with these Channel Partners.
If you have any questions about these Marketing materials, launch dates and embargos, or anything else relating to the new products, please contact me directly.
Thanks,
Phil

Courtesy: Inq

Sorry serenity, but if the 2900XT had actually preformed, we would've see a comparable $549 or there abouts price tag on it. It didn't and AMD dropped the price even further.

Same thing with the 3870, it's supposed to be a superior part. It isn't, hence the related price difference.

US
I agree that AMD had to drop the price on the 2900XT. But that doesnt make the comparison (2900XT v 8800GTX) right.

3870 performed as per their expectations, I might even add it enabled them to win some market share back from Nvidia.

Last edited by a moderator:
The multi-GPU strategy makes a lot of sense if they can offer a more seamless, transparent offering than traditional AFR offerings of today.

The limitations of AFR from load balancing; to scaling issues; from titles not working at all; to the dreaded wait for official profiles as the only viable choice for the high-end consumer is troubling to me.

The choice of AFR is a sound one over-all; the choice of only AFR at the high-end is not enough but that's just a view -- one of many!

03RV770part2.jpg

04RV770part2.jpg

05RV770part2.jpg

06RV770part2.jpg

Courtesy: Toms

It is, after all, a direct port from a Xbox 360 game, so it's only likely it has optimizations for ATI's hardware built-in.

One could flip that argument and say that all NVIDIA "TWIMTBP" titles have built in NVIDIA optimisations. Thus creating inherit performance disadvantages for ATI cards. ;)

3870 performed as per their expectations, I might even add it enabled them to win some market share back from Nvidia.

That's not what JPR is saying about the quarters after the G92 and RV670 launches. Quite the opposite.

In fact, Nvidia has had several billion dollar quarters in this time frame, while AMD stagnated somewhat (which i could only attempt to explain by the fact that they sell more low-end/low-margin products like IGP's, HD24xx/HD34xx, etc-, while NV prefers to concentrate on higher margins, even if it means less market share than they could have had otherwise).

See, that's what i meant by disliking dual-GPU cards vs single-GPU models.
If you rely on a single mainstream chip, and that chip turns out to be the underdog, then the IHV will be in trouble because a dual-GPU card is a clear desperate measure in the eyes of consumers, reviewers and even developers.
Nvidia did it twice (7950 GX2 against X1950 XTX; 9800 GX2 against the previously released HD3870 X2), AMD will also do it a second time with the HD4870 X2.

This and the fact that Nvidia was able to counter the RV670 with the G92 and the G94 cores put significant pressure on AMD prices.
Now imagine if AMD didn't drop the ball and had released a true high end chip last Fall with, say, 480 stream processors and a 512bit GDDR4 bus on 55nm. Wouldn't that be preferable to a HD3870 X2 and significantly lift the bar for the competition ?
It would also command higher selling prices (not to mention the halo effect on the rest of the line), and that's what a cash-strapped company should do, seek more dollars.

One could flip that argument and say that all NVIDIA "TWIMTBP" titles have built in NVIDIA optimisations. Thus creating inherit performance disadvantages for ATI cards. ;)

They did it because AMD's similar GITG program didn't do so well.
That's what a company without money to seed developers gets into.

AMD really needs to be back in the high-end market.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's all well and good, AMD, but everyone has moved onto GT200. -_-
ATI and NVIDIA are now on different release schedules ... NVIDIA starts at the high end, ATI resigns themselves mid end using mid end chips in "SLI" to have some high end reach (which as long as they have a hard time competing at the high end is probably their safest bet). GT200 isn't really what they are competing against ...

Funny how AMD and Nvidia are holding back on announcing the final clocks till the very last minute.

With respect to AMD's new strategy let's not forget that R600 was a 420mm^2 die at 80nm that was released only a year ago. It most certainly was an attempt to grab the single-GPU crown. How much of this new multi-GPU strategy is really a reaction to that part's inability to compete at the high-end of the market?

serenity, remove Philip Scholz's e-mail address please. First, it's a good way to get spammed, second, you can get into trouble. Rather put his name as you did with the second.

US

[rant]Game devs insist they have to render each frame from scratch and it is taken from granted that somebody has to pull a miracle out of silicon that lets them continue to do exactly that.

I'm all for progress and additional performance, but IMHO it is hypocritical to declare AMD a loser just because they didn't build a monolithic billion+ transistor chip to speed up the rendering of sunshafts.[rant]

ATi has found the solution for this with R700 AKA 4870 x2. They've ditched NUMA all together and gone to a unified memory space for multiple GPUs. This will provide performance gains in many scenarios. You can count on it.
So if that's such a big part of R700... Why isn't anyone talking about it? Why is no rumour mentioning it? Why is no 'leak' from ATI docs heralding it as the next best thing since sliced bread? I'm not saying it's not true; I'm just skeptical, and wouldn't be surprised if that rumour was, let us say, outdated.

And Lux_, uhhhh, I have no idea why you think it's even theoretically possible NOT to render his frame from scratch? (at least for the main framebuffer)

Maybe he's confusing 3D rendering with video encoding with bi-directional predicted frames etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back