NVIDIA GT200 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Arun, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tchock

Regular

Hmm... 930 FLOPS + low shader clocks means they're probably not straying far from the balance of what the G94 brought, although slightly closer to G92 for GPGPU.

As for pricing, I wouldn't worry. Even at >600, there ARE enough people desperate enough for good Crysis experiences to get one, and the halo effect should be as tremendous as G80.

2. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Well you're going from 172.8 GMUL/s in the original GTX to ~ 624 GMUL/s in GT200. So if you're running something with lots of MULs it'll probably be a tad faster :)

3. Vincent

Newcomer

Apparently it is too expensive to have a brand new GT200 in my computer case during this year. :smile:

4. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

If the GTX 280 will last as long as the 8800 GTX, it should be worth the price.

5. apoppin

Regular

i am sorry i did not make myself clear to you. You noted that the FoH appeared here first and within a day it was all over the 'net.

True. You guys here at B3D are finally getting the recognition you deserve, imo. Heck, i have been lurking here for years and stealing your insights for ATF!

Now that i am no longer posting there for personal reasons [bitterness, don't ask; i don't kiss and tell], i am more active here but limit my posting as i apparently irritate some of you with my style over substance posts [which go over well enough at ATF, ARSt and HardOCP]. Of course, if i see something here that is new or that fits in with what i am posting at other places, i always mention you guys at B3D - generally with much respect - and i also credit you as a source and occasionally link to your posts as i did with FoH at HardOCP [only; evidently ARSt already knew as did ATF by the time i got there; so i am not alone in cross-posting at other forums!].

Now that may not be ideal for you guys to have a bunch of new guys signing up, but i think your administration does not mind, and you guys will get rid of the not-so-strong posters and disruption easily enough as you are a very strong forum. So i hope you don't mind if i also say good things about you!

As to the Mayan Calender ending in 2012, i believe that is the day they are supposed to Return and ReSet their Sundial. And they have a Zero year that is no zero year at all so i personally think it is 2014. Party on guys, we have a couple of extra years by my own calculations.
    :roll:

Doubtful, imo. However, the Tesla architecture should be the basis for the next two years for Nvidia GPUs if i am reading the tea leaves right. BtW, i got my 8800GTX for 50 bucks from a friend who "upgraded" to Gx2 against my advice; so i took advantage of his stupid "luck" to enhance mine.

Dammit .. nVidia should call their new GTX, the "2800" .. daamit; it looks like they are copying Nissan - Turbo GT 280ZX LTD 2.0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_280ZX

what do you think? The Nissan GT 280ZX even had a 2+2 !!
    :cool:

#1445 apoppin, May 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  6. AnarchX

Veteran

7. INKster

Veteran

Another piece of "Nvidia-Hate Rants" (written like an angry boy left out of the party) from Charlie.
    Business as usual.

Conveniently, not a word about G92b at 55nm, nor any hard performance figures. Just enough "flops" and word mangling to force a match between the GTX 260 and the HD4870 -like they were even in the same league or were designed as such-.

8. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Wow Charlie really hates Nvidia.....

No doubt they missed shader clocks by about 100Mhz but I doubt Nvidia was expecting more than a 600Mhz base clock. Power consumption and yields could be serious problems though.

Heh, too bad that equates to 28 ROPs :)

9. Karma Police

Regular

While the article seems logical enough, it's possible nVidia may be holding back on their true clock speeds until launch. But Occam's Razor says otherwise.

10. Razor1

Veteran

really, I would like to see Charlie eat that one, cause it will happen, and about the clocks, he is really off :wink:, ah trini beat me to it.

11. loekf

Regular

12. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

Funny how he is talking about being mathematically impaired and cant even subtract his own clusters. Charlie is such a moron. Shame people actually read the garbage he blogs.

#1452 ChrisRay, May 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  13. Rangers

Legend

Seems like AMD will have a much better chance at competing if these are true. But put the missing mul back in may make up for a lot of the somewhat low clocks.

Again I'm wondering if monolothic monster chip didn't bite Nvidia a bit, resulting in low clocks and so forth.

14. AnarchX

Veteran

If rumored performance is true, these "low" clocks are more than enough.:wink:

Do you not think this anti-NV approach in this article is more mentioned ironic? :grin:

15. Arty

Arty KEPLER
    Veteran

Whats with the Nvidia patronising going on here? Charlie is as much one-side slanted as Fuad.

16. Domell

Newcomer

Exactly. If these rumours are true who cares about low clocks? It seems like about 3X GF8800GTX in higher resolutions.
    http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=277971

17. Rangers

Legend

I dunno..7000 3dmark extreme points seems a bit ridiculous..

Do the specs bear that out? I'm not sure but it seems kinda dicey.

Just comparing on shader numbers and clocks I dont see it, the wildcard is the missing mul.

According to poster in that very link a 9800GX2 only scores 3184..to believe GT280 is >2x that is some stretch.

You can see some 3dMark vantage extreme scores here

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/3dmark_vantage_performance/page13.asp

About the only score in the FS link that even puts 7k as a possibility in my opinion is ~2500 for 8800 Ultra. Even that is a stretch as you're asking GT280 to be nearly 3X as fast. If Nvidia pulled that off, wow.

18. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

If the 9800GX2 is scoring only 3184 its likely framebuffer limited in extreme settings.

19. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Well the 8800 Ultra scores 2526 according to FS numbers.

2526 * 240/128 (units) * 1300/1500 (clock) * 3/2 (flops) =~ 6157.

Throw in the higher bandwidth and any efficiency tweaks and you could probably get up near 7000.

20. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

Beware of super linear scaling, I'd be really impressed if that number is true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.