NVIDIA GT200 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm disappointed that the 9800GTX is not GT200 and is only G92(dx10). That said the 9600 is pretty good, so the GTX looks like it should kick ass.

I'm still waiting for the GT200 though.

US

I'm disappointed that the 9800GTX is not GT200 and is only G92(dx10). That said the 9600 is pretty good, so the GTX looks like it should kick ass.

US

GF9800GTX specs sounds pretty weak :( I hope GT200 (or G100 whatever they call it) will be a beast :)

US

I honestly don't understand why you're saying anything based on what 9600 is doing, when we already have cards out which are identical to 9800GTX excluding clocks?

Does anybody know when to expect this chip? I find it a little bit ridiculous that NV hasn't upped the performance of the GF8800 in 1.5 years now..... No performance boost for a full 18 months x_x I don't believe the industry has ever seen this happen before.

Does anybody know when to expect this chip? I find it a little bit ridiculous that NV hasn't upped the performance of the GF8800 in 1.5 years now..... No performance boost for a full 18 months x_x I don't believe the industry has ever seen this happen before.

AFAIR, the curront rumor is late this year

A nice little birdy told me that G92 is still gonna be around for a while longer... *cough* G92b *cough*.

/runs away and hides

A nice little birdy told me that G92 is still gonna be around for a while longer... *cough* G92b *cough*.

A "second 6800GS", which came also after G70(now GT200) at the same process-node and compete agains ATis next-gen-competitor RV530(now RV770)?

If RV770 is able to use GDDR5, this solution should it be, too.:D

/runs away and hides

?? What? Another G92 version? So it means GT200=G92B or what? Didn`t you say NVIDIA next gen GPU will have 512-bit GDDR3 memory bus?

Well to be honest, what reason does Nvidia have to move to another architecture right now? G80 seems to be very power, transistor and bandwidth efficient with respect to the competition. If RV770 is just a beefed up RV670, a beefed up G92 should be more than a match.

The way things are going it looks like Nvidia may be able to shrink G80 all the way down to 45nm and still remain competitive.

Well to be honest, what reason does Nvidia have to move to another architecture right now? G80 seems to be very power, transistor and bandwidth efficient with respect to the competition. If RV770 is just a beefed up RV670, a beefed up G92 should be more than a match.

The way things are going it looks like Nvidia may be able to shrink G80 all the way down to 45nm and still remain competitive.

I think G80 is clearly the most successful GPU architecture for many years, even more so than R300.

What makes me smile is all the flack some people handed out to early adopters of the GF8 citing claims of first gen cards being a mugs game.

Lol, I wonder how many of those people are now purchasing cards 18 months later that are barely faster (or even slower) than the same cards they were trash talking when they launched.

Still glad you waited guys? ;)

I think G80 is clearly the most successful GPU architecture for many years, even more so than R300.
But it can never touch the Voodoo architecture which stayed as far as I know more or less the same from Voodoo Graphics to Voodoo5 :LOL:

Read what I wrote above the part you quoted.
I did...
I didn't realize that a "new G92 version" = "A3 spin."

G92-450/400/270 are all different versions/bins without being respins...

Last edited by a moderator:
I did...
I didn't realize that a "new G92 version" = "A3 spin."

G92-450/400/270 are all different versions/bins without being respins...

It's not an A3 revision, it's a whole new core built on a different process, while keeping the architecture and basic design intact.
The current G92 is made on TSMC and UMC 65nm nodes, while this new "B" version will be a "simple" die shrink to the 55nm half node, with likely substantially higher clocks at the same TDP level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back