NVIDIA GT200 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't know what's going to be the offering of the competitor so i don't know where you're getting this 5% number.
I asked because if we're to believe that RV770 is RV770... and it is being done on the 55nm... and is using more or less the same R6x0 architecture... and R700 is made out two RV770s... then there are limits on how faster than RV670 it can be.
G92 is already hitting these limits (G92s in GX2 are slower then G92 in GTX) and if you go beyond them it will become more and more difficult to use the chip as a basis for dual-chip board. And that is exactly why i think that RV770 won't be significantly faster than G92b.

We have ZERO firm info about GT200.
Even GT200 as a codename is wrong.
So it looks like a phantom right now.
And i do believe that GT200 (or G100 as i prefer to call it) is in a completely another league than RV770.

You can always infer based on industry sources and other information if you do the appropriate research. Instead of asking the question, you should try and figure it out instead of bashing me without understanding.

You don't know what's going to be the offering of the competitor so i don't know where you're getting this 5% number.
I asked because if we're to believe that RV770 is RV770... and it is being done on the 55nm... and is using more or less the same R6x0 architecture... and R700 is made out two RV770s... then there are limits on how faster than RV670 it can be.

Interesting! So just by naming it.. say the R770 instead it can now be INFINITELY FASTER THAN THE RV670! SCORE!

So, ahem, what makes you think that?
The unfirm info that i have.

You can always infer based on industry sources and other information if you do the appropriate research. Instead of asking the question, you should try and figure it out instead of bashing me without understanding.
Or, believe me, i've done all the research and stuff.
Doesn't look like you did actually.

Interesting! So just by naming it.. say the R770 instead it can now be INFINITELY FASTER THAN THE RV670! SCORE!
Are you stupid?

Well then you're gonna love this :LOL:

ok, thats just wrong. Someone seriously needs to take Nvidia's PR out behind the woodshed.

And using that broken PR to brag about the craptastic 9800 GTX? Lets see, we'll charge you ~$350 for something you can already buy for <$200 (MSI 8800 GTS 512 OC at newegg)? Like totally awesome dude!

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself.

The unfirm info that i have.
But there is a lot of FUD flying around on both sides AFAICT.
Or, believe me, i've done all the research and stuff.
Doesn't look like you did actually.
I agree, I'm not sure what warranted that comment from Berek?
Are you stupid?
I think his point is more subtle: codenames can be FUD to confuse everyone. We shouldn't exclude possibilities just because the codename seems to imply otherwise; although I agree that in this case, it doesn't seem very likely be a monolithic single-chip capable of competing with a single-chip GT200. We'll see what happens...

bah, finally, Windows Live IDd B3D as spam.

Anyways, I've beein keepin my eye on the RV770 pretty intently over the past couple weeks and it looks like its going to have 480SPs clocked at somewhere around 950MHz (on the highend obviously), 32TMUs, 16ROPs (again, clocked at almost a GHz remember!), a 256bit bus running at an oh so sweet 4GHz effective, thanks to the improvements brought to us by GDDR5. No word on the increase latencies though :S. 512mb is likly to be the SKU but I doubt ATI will hold board partners back from 1024MB. Samsungs GDDR5 fab process might though...

Anyways, the GT200 (Faud was the first to use this name and it just kinda caught on... I don't like it, because A. its faud B. its a new naming scheme), ...where was I, right, the GT200 rumors are still all over the place. I've got links to people claiming a 1024bit memory bus for christs sake (dont hold breath). But yeah, it looks like we're looking at at least a doubling of the SP count. BTW, if the best case scenario for memory holds true (512bit bus, GDDR5), we're looking at upward of 300GB/s of memory throughput on this card! Dude, snap your fingers, your hard drives copied. 300GB/s, thats unfathomable. Thats like a procs L2 speed for shits sake...

What's really baking my noodle is the timeframe. Multiple sources are claiming a G92 shrink, but multiple sources are also claiming a Q3 release for the GT200. It just doesn't fit, Nvidias recently announced Nvision2008 doesn't really clarify things. You can bet it will contain some new product, but which one? Why release a product just to yank it only a few months later? That doesn't even begin to pay the bills Nvidia execs will owe the R&D team for developing this short-lived product. I would also argue the haste of a 9 series start is Nvidia clearing the decks. I think the GT200 might be called something other than Geforce (maybe even Nvision? the "Nvision GTX")

anyways, the best I can put together is that the GT200 will be based on good old GDDR3, it will have a 256bit bus , and its going to have ~200 (192? 256?) SPs. Fuds claiming its going to be built on TSMCs 65nm process, but then, all fuds had to say about the "GT200" has been negative. I donno, its too early to tell. I'm more excited for the RV770 at this point, simply because we have some really confirmed numbers to go on.

what happened to my post?
Sorry, Windows Live might think B3D is spam, but it looks like B3D also thought you were spam... :) We got pretty aggressive moderation to fight spam here so posts with certain characteristics, including links but not only that (can't say what else, sorry), need moderator approval before they are visible to others unless the person has 10+ posts and X+ days on the board.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum! :) As for GT200, let me confirm that it is indeed the correct codename. Well, not exactly; there are at least 3 (!) codenames which are correct depending on the context. So yeah, confusion ahoy.

Regarding G92b/etc. - the way I look at it is that NVIDIA would like to have 55nm shrinks of both G92 and G94 (at the very least, maybe more) for the Back-to-School OEM cycle. Those are OEM deals that'll last for quite a while, so being stuck on 65nm there because they couldn't get 55nm out in time would definitely affect their margins. This is a completely separate issue from GT200 and you can't guess anything about one from the other.

As for NVISION, this is a public event which was planned for some time, so I think the only thing you can conclude from that is NVIDIA really really wants to have GT200 announced either by then or exactly then. Thus, the date must also have been selected conservatively to make that scenario extremely likely; look at it as a likely upper bound. It could be later, but it's much more likely to be earlier. The question is how much; it could be a day, it could be a month, it could even be more for all we know.

Baseless speculation, or something else ? :???:
The question is, if the 9900 series comes out and offers us again only a small increase (which seems to be the trend lately), what are you going to do then? - Just before the 9900 series comes out, we already know that everyone is going to be talking about the 10k series or whatever naming scheme NVIDIA choose to use in the performance models after the 9900.

It seems that NVIDIA is too busy just staying ahead of every AMD graphics card that we’re really not getting any revolutionary improvements in the graphics card departments. With NVIDIA moving onto the CPU market in the near future, you have to wonder if the strategy will be the same when they continue to battle AMD and the even stronger Intel.

I hope they're talking about the ARM-based APX 2500/future derivatives, and not some undercover x86 "thingy".

I found that entire article to be really strange. First they claim Nvidia is slowing the pace of innovation yet they believe Nvidia is going to stay just ahead of AMD. So they don't think AMD is capable of and responsible for innovating and pushing the envelope as well?

I have somewhere a quite old presentation from Jon Peddie research about professional markets and they predicted then that one shouldn't be surprised if NVIDIA will end up competing with Intel at a point in the future and vice versa.

I'm still waiting to see how deep any possible penetration could be in the future. For the time being - and despite the buttload of money Intel is throwing around - I'm still not convinced that Larabee could be a serious threat outside of professional markets for anything graphics. And I'm times less convinced that NVIDIA intends to enter the CPU market in the sense the above article could imply. If someone would tell me that they intend to develop/build something like an entire SoC for small form factor devices that at least I could buy.

But there is a lot of FUD flying around on both sides AFAICT.
That's true.
That's why i always use 'i believe' and 'AFAIK' =)

I think his point is more subtle: codenames can be FUD to confuse everyone. We shouldn't exclude possibilities just because the codename seems to imply otherwise; although I agree that in this case, it doesn't seem very likely be a monolithic single-chip capable of competing with a single-chip GT200. We'll see what happens...
Well it looks like Fuad WAS right about GT200 codename after all =)
But i tend to look a little bit further than codenames and i believe i've presented my reasoning in the post above.

As for GT200, let me confirm that it is indeed the correct codename. Well, not exactly; there are at least 3 (!) codenames which are correct depending on the context. So yeah, confusion ahoy.
G100, GT200 and D10U?..

I'm not sure what Arun exactly means, but before Fudo mentioned "GT200" I had heard in the past of a "G200" (which was to appear before G100, as weird as it may sound) and for irony's sake that didn't even come from NV LOL ;)

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6702&Itemid=1

Fuds taking a stab in the dark with some numbers regarding memory of this GPU codenamed D10U.

D10U-20 also in the works

Can it
be that Nvidia will bring a real next generation product just a quarter after it released its 9800 series? Well we don’t have the answer to that particular question, but as we reported here, Nvidia is working on a new GPU codenamed D10U-30. The D10U-30 will feature 1,024MB of GDDR3 memory and we learned that there will be one more SKU below it.

The second one is codenamed D10U-20 and it will have 896MB of memory, again of the GDDR3 flavour. This new card indicates that Nvidia can play with the memory configuration and that the new chip might support more than the regular 256-bit memory interface.

This one might support 384-bit or some other memory configurations, but we still don’t have enough details about it. It looks like Nvidia doesn’t feel that going for GDDR4 is necessary and it looks like the company will rather jump directly from GDDR3 to GDDR5.
1024MB and 896MB? 512(GTX)/448(GTS)Bit memory interface? Doesnt seem to go in hand to hand with the 55nm "die shrinked" G92b. Q2 release kind of kills current products (GX2) too does it not? or is that why the GX2 has dropped ~$100 dollars in price already and its only been recently launched.

Atleast somethings in the works.

edit - http://en.expreview.com/2008/04/08/geforce-9800gx2-will-be-eoled-in-three-months/

NVIDIA is preparing two GT200 card, the single GPU 9900GTX and dual GPU 9900GX2. It seems one of the card will not only have a similar performance but also have the same production cost as GeForce 9800GX2, so NVIDIA is going to sentence 9800GX2 to death in June, 2008, according to our sources. It is quite a surprise that even the 8800GS can live longer than the just announced dual PCB GFX card.

Is it me or this G92b seem like the GT200. Hence the use of the 9900 series moniker. Maybe its more than a mere "die shrink" to 55nm to go toe to toe with the RV770.

http://en.expreview.com/2008/04/08/geforce-9800gx2-will-be-eoled-in-three-months/

Is it me or this G92b seem like the GT200. Hence the use of the 9900 series moniker. Maybe its more than a mere "die shrink" to 55nm to go toe to toe with the RV770.

Update: According to sources, 9900GX2 do not exist. We are sorry for the mistakes.

I'm not sure what's going on but if this is a FUD campaign they're doing a really good job of it. G92b, G100, GT200, D10-U....I mean come on already ! If G92b is more than just a die shrunk G92 then Nvidia really has gone off the deep end with this naming thing. Even the chinese don't know what's going on and that says something.

Update: According to sources, 9900GX2 do not exist. We are sorry for the mistakes.

I'm not sure what's going on but if this is a FUD campaign they're doing a really good job of it. G92b, G100, GT200, D10-U....I mean come on already ! If G92b is more than just a die shrunk G92 then Nvidia really has gone off the deep end with this naming thing. Even the chinese don't know what's going on and that says something.

The bolded part sounds more like a step into the right direction LOL :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back