NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

Assuming you could run 4 dual gpu cards, then at 300 watts each they would consume 1200W meaning the rest of your system would have to consume over 450 to be pushing spec.

Don't forget you have to account for the efficiency of the power supply. In the US on the 110 volt lines that's generally in the range of 65 (really poor PSUs) to best case scenarios of ~90% with the most expensive and most power efficient PSUs operating in the most efficient power band (generally 50% of PSU power rating).

So best case scenario where you are not operating outside of the most efficient powerband on your PUS would up just the video cards to 1320 W. Throw in far more common 80% PSUs and not in the most optimum power band and that jumps to 1440. Throw in some of server class 1 KW PSUs which sacrifice power efficiency for clean and stable power and increases to potentially 1560-1620 watts just for that hypothetical quad card setup. And that's not including the rest of the system.

Obviously this is going into extreme ridiculous territory. But if you then add any household appliances to the loop, we're getting into some quite extreme territory. As well don't forget the monitor. With Quad cards of that capability we're probably looking at at least 1x 30" monitor or since this is ridiculous hypothetical territory 3x 30" monitors. When properly calibrated you're then looking at another ~70-160 watts for each monitor. :p So another 210-480 watts in the extreme case.

Enthusiasts with a system like that are also probably going to have either a high end computer audio setup like the a Klipsh or Logitech Z-5500 class system. Or just as likely a proper multichannel receiver. All of which can potentially add a significant power drain if the enthusiast gamer "cranks it up."

And god forbid if while doing all this that gamer's wife or girlfriend plugs in a hair dryer to dry her hair while watching him play. :D Or if he's got a HDTV and dedicated receiver for the HDTV in the same room. Or a portable air conditioner (that room is going to be HOT with all those components) or window air conditioner. Luckily during the winter it's unlikely they'll need a heater in that room. :D

Regards,
SB

I can't figure out why people seem to think that it's important for a specialty product like his to stay within some power number that's written in a technical spec? Especially if the connectors make it abundantly clear that more than usual power is required.
Agreed. I think there's more concern for what will sell rather than adhering to a spec. Why does the PCIe spec even mention 300W considering it doesn't come from the bus?

Don't forget you have to account for the efficiency of the power supply. In the US on the 110 volt lines that's generally in the range of 65 (really poor PSUs) to best case scenarios of ~90% with the most expensive and most power efficient PSUs operating in the most efficient power band (generally 50% of PSU power rating).

Unless we're talking about different things here or the 230 volt Euro energy has an influence, efficiency is best usually at higher utliization of the rated power value - not at 50%, more like in the >80% range.

Unless we're talking about different things here or the 230 volt Euro energy has an influence, efficiency is best usually at higher utliization of the rated power value - not at 50%, more like in the >80% range.

It depends on the PSU and rather than picking and choosing one PSU to represent all of them, I just went with the requirements for 80+ certification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS ). That obviously doesn't prevent a manufacturer from making say an 80+ Gold PSU which has 90% efficiency at 90% load as long as it also has 90% efficiency at 50% load. The efficiency at 50% load is relatively guaranteed by the certification so I just used that as best case scenario. Also note I didn't state that it would necessarily be worse at higher or lower loads. By saying "generally around 50%" the implication is that depending on manufacturer, they might tune their PSU to have a broader optimal power band. You'll likely also pay for that broader power band in increased PSU cost, but it's worth it to some.

As well when I used to look up PSUs at Silent PC Review site, optimal power band used to be closer to 50% than 100%. Granted I haven't been there in over a year now, so things may have changed for the average certified PSU.

And since Newegg didn't have a listing for a Platinum certified PSU when I looked (can't choose anything higher than Gold in their advanced search tool), I just went with the 90% for Gold certified.

Regards,
SB

I don't know about other peoples houses, but all the ones I've lived in have shared electrical service for outlets - you have to worry about the total power on the whole service from the breaker throughout the house. That's why the high power devices like washers, dryers, dishwashers, stoves, waterheaters etc. are usually on separate fuses/breakers than the rest of the circuits.

IF you've got a single dedicated 15A/20A feed for a single outlet for your computer, like a stove or dishwasher etc. then you're good.

Heh I just find it entertaining to think of some crazy's PC blowing a breaker. PCs that pull as much as microwaves disturb me. :D The heat output would also be nuts.

I've actually had my computer blow the circuit breakers in the garage. Granted, it's mostly because it was on the same circuit as my space heater, which probably draws 5 kW, but still, the computer was definitely the straw that broke the camels back, since they work just fine on separate circuits.

NVIDIA_DEV.1244.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti"
NVIDIA_DEV.1083.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590"

We spotted two very interesting entries in the latest 266.7x beta drivers which imply the launch of the GeForce GTX 590 and GeForce GTX 550 Ti cards are nearing. GeForce GTX 590 is a dual GF110 GPU solution with 3GB GDDR5 memory while GTX 550 Ti is based on GF116-400, comes with 1GB GDDR5 memory. Sporting a dual slot solution, the GTX 550 Ti reference design looks very much like its GTX 560 Ti counterpart with Dual DL DVI-I and a mHDMI port
GeForce GTX 590 and GTX 550 Ti Surfaced in Beta Drivers

BSN said:
Given that a single GTX 580 graphics card has a power limitator which controls the card not to exceed 200W power draw, we'd expect that clock restrictions are fairly low and that this card should not be much slower than two discrete GTX 580 boards in SLI mode.

Good old Theo :LOL:

1GiB @ 192-Bit? 4*1024MBit + 2*2048MBit chips? Is this possible?

Also 28% more performance with only 14% more TMU/ALU-peformance seems a bit strange, since GTS 450 did not looked so bandwidth-starved

Last edited by a moderator:
Back