NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Arty, Oct 1, 2009.

1. XMAN26

Banned

Actually, I don't recall them ever saying that. Atleast with the design they have now, I would think it be a simple rearrangement of the die package for the given number of SP you want the GPU to have. and good I hope they make entry lvl GPUs with 64SPs and no less. 16 and 32 are a complete joke and 48 and just barely playable for most games.

2. sc3252

Newcomer

Must have been in my head then. It would be very nice if 64 is the minimum, I really hate the idea of buying a notebook and only getting 16-32SPs.

3. {Sniping}Waste

Regular

If they still don't have cards for reviewers then why not do a release at the end of Feb? Paper launches in the past had product on the shelves in 4 weeks but this looks like 1 1/2 to 2 months for that.

4. XMAN26

Banned

Hell, try telling people who want to only spend <75$ for a video card to play say Crysis on at 1680x1050 that the 4350 will work fine r the 9500GT or GT220 is what they want. I swear I want to shot myself everytime I hear it. Aint an entry lvl card out yet(ATIs haven't been released yet, I'm hoping but I'm not holding my breath) that can do it with decent settings. Everything turned off is NOT decent settings.

5. Ninjaprime

Regular

If the rumor of them being clocked at tesla's top end speed is correct then that puts them at ~1408 MHZ shaders, 704MHZ TMUs, and the rumored 650MHZ core? Doesn't really seem like that much of a boost at that point, unless the core is lower or the shader clock is higher...

6. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

Its interesting to see Kyles thoughts on this: "NVIDIA’s omission of discussing die size, power usage, and clocks is very disconcerting. It was explained that these facts were skipped over so as to not give AMD an informational and competitive advantage. While I am sure you could argue this as true, it is uncharacteristic for NVIDIA to "hide its light under a bushel." Let’s face it, these guys will send out self serving PR every time the paper gets changed in the executive washroom. I would suggest that these issues are not being disclosed because NVIDIA does not want to see its stock take a beating over building a huge power pig of a GPU."

He's being optimistic on its performance charactaristics but less so on its value.

7. XMAN26

Banned

I'll bet he has a card to start playing with come March 1.

8. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

Kyle certainly doesn't have one now.

9. itsmydamnation

Veteran Regular

well anything else could be considerred a NV PR failure :grin: . unless they dont have actual SKU's by march 1, then it isn't PR's fault.

did anyone say he did. How does it matter anyway? how does him having a card determine value?

10. XMAN26

Banned

Did we just travel thur time, or did I not say March 1? I'm sure he, nor any other reviewer has one yet. Hell, I'd be shocked if you had one and even posted pics with you holding it, the mahcine its in and a game with no FPS showing to prove you had one. Those things could probably sell for what an ES Intel proc did back in the day.

I actually have an ES P4 HT S478 CPU. CPUID Ids it as an ES chip. totally unlocked from 1x to 40x for a mulitplier. FSB from 75 to 500.

11. CNCAddict

Regular

So in anands article he says "8x the geometry performance of GT200". Is this from 2x the clock rate and 4x the triangle units? 8x would be quite the jump if that's true :shock:

12. seahawk

Regular

It would be

650 - 1 GHz - 1450

13. ChrisRay

Veteran

Relax m8. I was affirming what you said. No need to be so defensive.

14. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Yep it's six weeks out at least. But this wasn't a launch in any sense of the word. No product information at all.

15. XMAN26

Banned

Oh, sorry, my appologies then, misunderstood what you ment. its late and should be in bed.

On a side note, can you confirm something about Nvidia Surround(not the 3D Vision, I aint that rich)?

16. ChrisRay

Veteran

Nope. Its the "Graphic" architecture preview. LIke the GPU Compute architecture preview a few months back.

17. ChrisRay

Veteran

What exactly do you want to know about it?

18. XMAN26

Banned

I'm propably mistaken, but from what I have read, even prior to today, the Nvidia Surround would work with 19/24/19 setup and run them at native res where as Eyefinity you need 3 same size/res supporting monitors? Is that true, if you dont know can you find out? I think that would be a huge win for Nvidia if they could do that. Not everyone can afford huge displays be it cash flow or desk space, but 400 bucks for a 19/24/19 or even a 19/22/19 setup I believe more people could afford.

19. ChrisRay

Veteran

Good question. You know I'm not entirely sure. I'll ask the guys over at Nvidia and see if they can comment on it. I have only seen "exact" screensized monitors running it.

On another note: In regards to its "Stage". GF100 chips are finalized and ready for production. PCB Layout/Cooling is going through some final tweaking at this point.

#659 ChrisRay, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2010
  20. Tamlin

Newcomer

Thanks for asking that XMAN26! If Nvidia would add support for different resolution monitors that would be great. I know of several that are already using a 20" 30" 20"(in PLP/portrait - landscape - portrait mode), but only softTH support it for now.

I looked at the white paper at [H], but the white paper there only announce support "across displays that share a common resolution":

http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1263608214xxTstzDnsd_2_29_l.gif