NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Arty, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Indeed. But at the moment we are talking neither, we are talking architectural differences / possible performances.

2. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

It's more :cool: than :sad: from where I'm sitting, but still some :sad:, :wink:

3. Arty

Arty KEPLER
    Veteran

Are you at liberty to disclose when we will get your take on this reveal?

4. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

Rys NDA broken through smiley faces!

5. Ninjaprime

Regular

It would be nice if the charlie haters/NV fanboys could stop jacking each other off and get back to the thread at hand, IMO...

6. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

When NV's embargo expires, as always, despite the fact I haven't signed a legally binding thing restricting when and what I can say about the data I get for many years now :razz:

7. NathansFortune

Regular

Why is it that not liking Charlie instantly turns you into a Nvidia fanboy. It isn't for no reason that Charlie has so many detractors, and not every single one is a fanboy or a hater. After 3-4 months of Charlie predicting doom for GF100 and Nvidia; it turns out GF100 looks highly competitive and Nvidia have one of the best CES showings of the lot with Tegra and non-discrete stuff. Surely we can all say that Charlie has been misleading us about the doom and gloom if the benchmarks tonight are in line with the rumours and the architecture is sound and scalable.

Anyway, away from the subject of Charlie, it looks like GF100 will be what Nvidia need to survive the industry as a non x86-CPU producer which is why all this speculation started...

Hopefully it comes in at less than £350/370 for a GTX380 but I feel like I might be in for a wait.

8. Ninjaprime

Regular

I suspect he's more right than wrong on this issue, I bet they have a little hardware for the most fixed function, specific parts of the tesselator and the rest is just some kind of shader emulation. With all the talk of higher triangle rates when it seems they've given a 1tri/clock rate out, I wonder if maybe they have done something completely different, or maybe its just the setup/tri rate is on the hot clock as some have speculated.

I really just wish it was 9, the curiosity is burning a hole in my head. :wink:

9. Arty

Arty KEPLER
    Veteran

Really? I thought everyone came to an understanding that B3D took some extra time with their pieces :razz:

Thanks btw. :)

10. ChrisRay

Veteran

Really really can't wait till the NDA expires so these types of posts come to an end.

11. ZerazaX

Regular

I don't think anyone out there has credibly suggested that the video was the GTX 360. And either way, why would they want the 360 to be announced but not the flagship? The term flagship is there for a reason...

12. PSU-failure

Newcomer

Since hot clock can't be used without major change in the "hardware" pipeline, I think it's more likely to be shader based.

The problem I see with it being shader based is it would be blazing fast without any shader but would slow down in case of heavy shaders running, and since Fermi ALU peak throughput is already not that high, the better theorical performance could end up... useless.

In fact, it could probably be done with any GPU and Cypress having a higher ALU peak throughput could even benefit more from this.

13. Razor1

Veteran

I have no idea what you just posted :lol:

14. Arty

Arty KEPLER
    Veteran

Cases like this I am glad not be in the know-how, biting your own tongue is quite difficult.
    Razor did suggest it was the stripped down esp .. (page 16)

15. ChrisRay

Veteran

And I've been doing it for nearly 3 months now. Actively avoiding the speculation threads :) Anyway its not much longer. After waiting 3 months the next bit is nothing.

16. Rangers

Legend

Of course. 40% was an average, that should be understood.

DX11!=tesselation. Also, the only game I've seen getting much DX11 pub is Dirt 2, so far, to little effect, it looks about the same as the DX10 version.

I'm just wondering what games will make a big tesselation push? In order to do that a developer would have to deviate in a major way from the console version, which I do not see any current examples of. EG, Assasins Creed 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Modern Warfare 2, etc.

17. ChrisRay

Veteran

There are alot of interesting things that can be done with tessellation with a little creativity. The hair demo you've seen is actually physx + tessellation.

18. Jawed

Legend

The real question is whether NVidia will launch a 512 ALU GPU based on the A3 chip. I have a feeling that the "ultra", the card with 512 ALUs, won't be arriving until B1 or later. Should be here in time for Christmas, eh?...

Jawed

19. Ninjaprime

Regular

That middle part is what makes me wonder... People in the know in this thread have been saying something like "with tesselation its going to be crazy fast and beat ATI by a mile, but in games its only about 1.X times faster." This leads me to believe the shader based thing because it would probably show just that, in certain controlled benches with tesselation, it could show itself to be way faster, but really its only 1.X faster, ending up more of a benchmark bragging feature. PhysX in 3dmark says hi. :wink:

Me too. Care to share anything?:wink:

20. Tamlin

Newcomer

I hope so. :) Tessellation is one of the DX11 features I am most exited about. Especially after seeing the videos of AvP and using Unigine in free mode. I definetly want to see more of it in games.