Nvidia GeForce RTX 40x0 rumors and speculation

Some sense at last. Still very expensive for its tier but if performance is good then I think its the best were going to see for a while.
I guess if anyone is looking to buy a GPU the best time to buy will be within a 9 month period. From the same article:
A big reason for why NVIDIA might have had a change of heart could be because of the fact that 25% GPU tariffs were set to resume on 1/1 and were pushed back by the US government by 9 months. This meant that if NVIDIA and AICs kept the pricing of their cards constant, it would have shrunk their margins. They might have figured to take the hurt anyways and pass on the savings from the lack of resumption to the consumer.

Personally 12GB of VRAM is an important line of demarcation for me which makes this more interesting than the 3080 10G was combined with the lower TDP (albeit still high for me). But I was hoping for a FE card with a smaller heatsink possibly derived from the 3080 FEs as I dislike AiB type triple fan cards. The price isn't ideally, but avoiding taking a loss on resell of not having to buy something as a placeholder kind of washes that out. A 4070 coming at the end of Feb at $600 would be ideal, but I'm now also operating under some time pressure.

Ideally I'm trying to buy something with >3060ti perf >=12GB VRAM for as little money/TDP/physical size as possible.

3060 12G - too slow
3060ti - not enough VRAM
3080 10G - not enough VRAM for the price. TDP kind of high
3080ti - high TDP. high price for now dated feature set
4080 - way too big, poor price value versus 4090
4090 - way too big, tdp.

I guess if anyone is looking to buy a GPU the best time to buy will be within a 9 month period. From the same article:

Those exemptions have been extended multiple times now. I'm guessing until inflation numbers greatly reel themselves in removing those exemptions might be tricky.

Eh... I could be convinced. It's exactly the same MSRP as 3080-10 once you account for inflation.
Nobody does that though. People will still be comparing it to either 3080's (mythical) MSPR or 3070Ti even.

According to TPU the 3090ti is 22% faster on average than the 3080-10, so if the 4070ti matches the 3090ti then for the same price (as a 3080-10) you're looking at a 22% generational improvement (possibly more in RT-heavy titles) + DLSS3 + somewhat improved power efficiency. There's a story here.
It's a story for the owners of 2080-2080Ti I think. 3080 owners are unlikely to see the benefit in such upgrade and will either sit tight or go for 4080/4090 instead.

And scalpers.
I honestly don't think that scalpers will be any kind of a problem anywhere past this holiday season.

Any idea why only Lenovo bringing 4050 mobile? And why only on large laptop?

Despite it should be more power efficient than 3050

Shocking price does nvidia know gamers are not as rich as miners 😂😐.. or tsmc wafers are triple the price of 10nm Samsung

400usd price reduction is quite on its place.

It's an interesting product from a price perspective and we can look at it in multiple different ways:

• Compared to the 4080 it's excellent value. But the 4080 is terrible value so that doesn't tell us much
  • Compared to the 4090 it's still very good value IMO offering likely more than half the performance for only half the cost (MSRP) although while the 4090 might be reasonable value for a halo card, it's still a halo card so probably shouldn't be used as a comparison point for good value
  • Compared to it's previous gen namesake, the 3070Ti, it's good value from a price/performance perspective offering over 40% more performance (assuming it does perform like a 3090Ti) for only 33% more cost. While good on the surface of it, that does ignore the fact that this is a new generation of GPU's where we would traditionally expect to see significant price/performance increases at each performance segment over the previous generation. And while we do in this case, it's very meagre compared to previous generations and comes at a $200 price hike over it's direct predecessor (by name) which is only a year and a half old. Also the 3070Ti was a crypto gen card and is generally considered to be poor value itself vs the original 3070...
  • So for me the most interesting comparison is vs the original 3070. Afterall this is the "3070 class" GPU launched at the start of the new generation whether Nvidia choose to append a Ti to it's name or not, so in that sense, and in how it compared to the x090 class product it's more a 4070 than a 4070Ti. But anyway in this comparison is comes in at 60% more expensive for probably about 60% more performance. So it has virtually the same price/performance ratio as the 3070 which was generally considered to be a reasonable value card I believe. The problem is this again ignores that this is a new generation of GPU where we should be getting better price performance ratios*. So IF we ignore the generation change, the performance we're getting with this card seems okay for the price (especially given it's inclusion of DLSS3), but see below on that.

* I know people will say we can't expect this moving forwards, but I counter that by saying we have to expect it, or PC gaming will die. Literally. Because if the only way to get additional performance from now on it so spend a correspondingly higher amount of money, then progress in PC gaming performance will stop. No-one is going to be willing to spend $1600 2 years from now for 4090 level performance in a 5070(Ti) level GPU and $3000 on a 5090, never mind what things would cost for the 6xxx generation 2 years after that. So the expectation of increasing price/performance each generation isn't just a nice to have, it's a critical requirement for the long term survivability of the PC market.

And while we got that with the 4090, things seeming went backwards with the 4080, and haven't moved at all with the 4070Ti. That said, I still feel this is the best price/performance ratio we're going to get for a while this generation so I'm going to hold my nose and get one assuming I can get it for very near to MSRP in the UK. My fear for the upcoming 4070 is that it might only come with 8GB of memory which would automatically count it out for me.

All DLSS3 though I think? Certainly cool but also potentially misleading.

Very misleading. DLSS3 results are not in any way a comparable measure of performance especially since it’s not universally available in all games. It’s a nice feature but shouldn’t be presented as a baseline performance uplift because it’s not.

Images from above in big size here:

Plus another one for the laptops:

1672766645462.png

And the rest:

Back