Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 Reviews

If the 4080 16GB was $699 scalpers would have 100% been a problem.

Possibly, but I'm not even sure it would be even at that price where the 4080 16 GB would actually be a pretty good deal. Current economic conditions just make anyone not in the market for the highest end card (EG - people for whom price is not a concern) a lot more likely to question whether they should be buying a luxury item like a GPU at this point in time.

It'd likely sell out, but I'm not sure it'd sell out if scalpers bought all the supply and then charge say upwards of 900 USD for the card. Basically, it might sell out at 699 USD, but I'm not sure it'd sell out at anything significantly higher than that such that it would be worth the scalper's time and opportunity cost to resell it. Not because it wouldn't be good value, but just that there's less people thinking about buying a GPU right now than perhaps any time in the past decade plus.

Regards,
SB

Possibly, but I'm not even sure it would be even at that price where the 4080 16 GB would actually be a pretty good deal. Current economic conditions just make anyone not in the market for the highest end card (EG - people for whom price is not a concern) a lot more likely to question whether they should be buying a luxury item like a GPU at this point in time.

It'd likely sell out, but I'm not sure it'd sell out if scalpers bought all the supply and then charge say upwards of 900 USD for the card. Basically, it might sell out at 699 USD, but I'm not sure it'd sell out at anything significantly higher than that such that it would be worth the scalper's time and opportunity cost to resell it. Not because it wouldn't be good value, but just that there's less people thinking about buying a GPU right now than perhaps any time in the past decade plus.

Regards,
SB

We don’t have a lot of data points but it seems the 4090 is selling well enough. You’re probably right that there wouldn’t be a huge arbitrage opportunity on a $700 4080. It’s hard to say exactly what that alternative reality would look like because in that universe there would have been widespread praise instead of universal scorn for the 4080 and also lower availability. Both of those factors motivated people to pay unreasonable prices during the pandemic.

GTX960 was 128bit, the 256bit gtx670 wasnt the better gpu for that.

There's an interesting aspect to this comparison caused by the stall in bit density scaling for VRAM.

In the past, as with the GTX 960 and GTX 670 example, the lower stack newer GPU would essentially be an all encompassing replacement. In that case the GTX 960 was the same or better in every metric, and in this specific criteria due too a doubling in density had the same VRAM despite the half bus size. Had GTX 960's been limited to 1GB vs 2GB for the GTX 670 it would not have been the same universal improvement.

The problem now and going forward is while cache is being used to mitigate the in raw bandwidth it doesn't help with actual VRAM capacity. This in practice has created a situation in which VRAM has stalled or faced regression in quite a lot of the product stack ever since 2016 (or even 2014).

With what it looks like both AMD and Nvidia's lowest stack will be 128 bit cards which essentially limits them to 8 GB of VRAM, but 8 GB of VRAM has been available at the <$500 price range on the market since arguably 2014 (AMD 390/x) and certainly both vendors since 2016.

That's interesting, there still seems to be plenty of stock here in the UK, and even some have discounts ("down" to £1769). On another forum someone was selling a 4090 FE and wanted £1900 for it. Thread was like a ghost town.

3050’s are readily available but aren’t at MSRP yet in the US even with Black Friday “sales”.
3050s are a bit higher that their MSRP but it's ~+15% markup which is basically your usual AIB markup territory for the majority of GPUs.
Also seem to be US only.

That's interesting, there still seems to be plenty of stock here in the UK, and even some have discounts ("down" to £1769). On another forum someone was selling a 4090 FE and wanted £1900 for it. Thread was like a ghost town.
Yeah I imagine in the US the initial sell-through filled the orders for the enthusiasts who would buy the next halo card irrespective of price, and there are always the well funded scalper groups who buy up many units at MSRP knowing at least in the short term they'd be able to move cards to those enthusiasts who didn't get one yet and have disposable income. That market will dry up fairly soon.

You can’t readily find a 4090 from any half reputable retailer for under 2k in America.
they had some at my local microcenter earlier today at msrp but looks like they sold out now.

You can find them , you just have to get lucky. Its much easier than it was during the pandemic finding any other decent video card

they had some at my local microcenter earlier today at msrp but looks like they sold out now.

You can find them , you just have to get lucky. Its much easier than it was during the pandemic finding any other decent video card
For pick up only?

For pick up only?
A lot of Microcenter stuff is pickup only, especially high value equipment. They don't ship a whole lot of gear.

I just checked our local Microcenter and there's like 40 units of 4080 GPUs available... lol no one wants these things.

A lot of Microcenter stuff is pickup only, especially high value equipment. They don't ship a whole lot of gear.

I just checked our local Microcenter and there's like 40 units of 4080 GPUs available... lol no one wants these things.
Hardly a valid argument then considering how little of the population has access to a Microcenter.

Hardly a valid argument then considering how little of the population has access to a Microcenter.
Microcenters exist only where there's a large enough population to support them. During the crypto craze they couldn't keep any stock, everything sold immediately locally.

Back