NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

I have a stock 980ti running very happily with +200mhz core, +300mhz vram which makes it quite a bit faster than the SC+. I don't think I've ever bought a factory OC'd card.

I'm gonna wait to see if the rumored NV price drops are a real thing, and if not, I'm then going to wait again for the Gigabyte 980Ti G1 card to come back in stock somewhere and start selling for the intended MSRP instead of the $800-$1000 it seems to be commanding right now.

The upcoming Asus Strix looks to be a killer, new cooler design and pretty nice clocks on it. I am not getting a new card, but I'm still looking forward to reading some reviews about it.

The upcoming Asus Strix looks to be a killer, new cooler design and pretty nice clocks on it. I am not getting a new card, but I'm still looking forward to reading some reviews about it.

Looks like a very strong contender for top spot! Board Partners have "stepped it up a gear" with regard to coming out with factory OC'd 980ti's.

Guru3D has indicated he will review this card.

STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3OC-6GD5-GAMING
  • 1317MHz GPU boost clock in OC mode with 7200MHz factory-overclocked memory speed for outstanding gaming experience.
  • DirectCU III with Patented Triple Wing-Blade 0dB Fan Design delivers maximum air flow with 30% cooler and 3X quieter performance.
  • AUTO-EXTREME Technology with 12+2 phase Super Alloy Power II delivers premium aerospace-grade quality and reliability.
  • Pulsating STRIX LED makes a statement while adding style to your system.
  • STRIX GPU-Fortifier relieves physical stress around the GPU in order to protect it.
  • GPU Tweak II with Xsplit Gamecaster provides intuitive performance tweaking and lets you stream your gameplay instantly.

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/STRIXGTX980TIDC3OC6GD5GAMING/

Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme Review

index.php

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/zotac_geforce_gtx_980_ti_amp_extreme_review,1.html

I was able to get ahold of the Gigabyte 980Ti G1 model yesterday at Newegg. Should be here mid next week, although I'll be out on travel when it arrives. All the reviews seem to show it overclocking like a beast; GTAV and Dying Light at 1440p are the two primary reasons I bought it to replace my 7970Ghz. Interestingly, both of those games are also why the Fury X wasn't a purchase option for me.

Agreed, I was expecting higher clocks and better cooling as well. Here's another review where it seems to be as quiet as a Fury X ...
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/asus-strix-gaming-gtx-980-ti-directcu-3/

Well, i dont know what method is the more accurate there, it seems they have really low difference between gpu's, i suspect the methodology is quite different, maybe with closed case and at 50cm distance vs opencase and 1m distance. But its quite funny to see that overall, the difference between everygpu's is so close together.

Personally, i will still prefer the method of closed case and standard distance ( as it is how is intended to run most setup ). Noise is a bit subjective anyway, my watercooling setup with 3x fans ( gentle typhoon 1850rpm ) is surely high on db, but the noise is not a problem, it never move ( not up and down consistently ) and it is deep cool noise... ( this said i manually set them, then only up if i do gaming with 38°C external temp like today )

I have a stock 980ti running very happily with +200mhz core, +300mhz vram which makes it quite a bit faster than the SC+. I don't think I've ever bought a factory OC'd card.
At least with NV cards it's kind of hard not to buy a card that isn't at least slighty factory overclocked. Usually the very mildly OCed cards are the same price as the stock ones. Also some of the Maxwell cards are running ludicrous speed factory overclocks, to the point where they are essentially in a difference performance class from the stock options. I wouldn't spend too much on that but it is nice to have such a boost and not have to worry about running a software utility always in the background.

Also some of the Maxwell cards are running ludicrous speed factory overclocks, to the point where they are essentially in a difference performance class from the stock options. I wouldn't spend too much on that but it is nice to have such a boost and not have to worry about running a software utility always in the background.

You don't actually have to run the software in the background. Just set the clocks and end the program, the program will shut, but the clocks will remain. I just have the program set the clocks at start up and then I shut it. Sure you still need to manage it, but it doesn't need to run in the background.

I'm back from a drunken beach vacation in Florida, and my neighbor had been holding my lovely new Gigabyte 980Ti G1. Sweet.

I booted up ye olde' gaming beast (3930k at 4.5GHz, 32GB ram, Intel DX79Si board, 1TB SSD drive, Sapphire 7970 OC model, Dell u2711) and removed all manner of AMD and TRIXX (Sapphire OC app, good product) software. Rebooted to verify, looked good, so I shut it down and pulled it apart.

First impression of the new card: this thing is friggin heavy. My Sapphire Tri-X setup wasn't light, yet the Gigabyte is markedly heavier.

Installed, powered, booted, newest 353.30 Dets installed, and MSI Afterburner also installed. Without mucking about with clocks, I went straight into the NV control panel and enabled the various DSR factors and set smoothness for 25%. I cranked up Steam and loaded up GTA V, Dying Light, Far Cry 3, Skyrim and Fallout 3 (getting back into FO3 to prep myself for FO4!)

Oldies first: FO3 and Skyrim flow like silk at the maximum 4.0x DSR rez up from my native 2560x1440. Not that I expected anything less, but it was nice to watch.

Far Cry 3 was similarly fluid: enabled every checkbox and feature, turned the rez to the 3.0x DSR effective setting, and played for probably 20 minutes. I swapped for the fullest dose of AA and native rez, and while also perfectly fluid, I prefer the look of DSR in this game.

GTAV is batshit insane for me, performance-wise. I flipped every option to the topmost setting, even all the ones in the "Advanced" section, turned off AA and turned on DSR. 4.0x wasn't going to happen at 60fps, but 3.0x was quite good. After many minutes of jerking around in the city, I cruised out into the countryside and noticed lag when driving through the fields of grass. I turned off DSR off and traded for native rez + 4xMSAA + FXAA + TXAA and ended up loving that setting even more. Being able to play like this is insane compared to my 7970...

Dying light has less knobs to tweak; I turned on everything and played native and also at 2.0x DSR. The DSR function just doesn't look as good in this game IMO, native with all the bells and whistles enabled was fantastic.

Was it worth $700USD? Well, guess it would depend on who you ask ;) The price was a bit high, but as I mentioned earlier, the performance compared to my 7970 is batshit insane. And it pairs nicely with the rest of this abnormally overdone rig of mine, so as a function of total system cost, the card price really isn't abnormal.

I did mess around with some overclocking of course. Without touching voltage at all, I set it for +125 core, +500 memory and a power limit of 115%. According to MSI Afterburner, it saw some ~1460MHz duty while playing GTAV, and RAM sits nicely at 8GHz. I don't even need the overclock, which makes it even more absurd. Maybe I'll get bored tomorrow and dork around with the overclocking a bit more, but right now it's already overkill -- exactly what I was looking for! :D

Great upgrade @Albuquerque !!

I will have to wait for 14/16nm products to get similar upgrade level as I'm on slightly faster R9 290X. I'm open to go either brand as price / performance with skew towards performance is what matters most or though I still have a bit of bonus points for AMD when purchasing GPU's. Saying that there is not enough bonus points to outweigh current Fury X vs 980Ti situation and I had AMD in my systems long enough to want to try Pascal if it's good :)

Have a great fun molesting your card at stupid resolutions and with DSR on :)

I cranked up Steam and loaded up GTA V, Dying Light, Far Cry 3, Skyrim and Fallout 3 (getting back into FO3 to prep myself for FO4!)

I'm entirely jealous! Congrats on a fantastic card. Your clock increases are also amazing and seem so easy to achieve! :D
The card is also supposed to be extremely quiet for what it's packing! Did you hear/notice any shift in fan speed during your game tests?

Have a great fun molesting your card at stupid resolutions and with DSR on :)
Indeed! :D

Did you hear/notice any shift in fan speed during your game tests?
Side note: my upstairs AC had some sort of lapse while we were on vacation. If we're going to be out of the house for more than two days, we always turn up our thermostats to conserve energy. When we came back, the lower floor was at the 80* we programmed, but the upper floor had wandered to 86* even though the thermostat was still indicating a setting of 80*. Sigh.

As such, during the daytime hours of the last 24, my office was sulking in 84-85* heat, although it was livable with the room fan on high. This being considered, the card is indeed audible, however so too are the other fans in the case which is not typical. Under duress, the fans on the card can be heard; the volume is quite low and the noise is a more pleasant "hussshhh" rather than a whine. Considering that my Sapphire would move into "WHIRRRRR" territory, both sound level and sound quality of the Gigabyte are far more muted and pleasant to the ears.

It's not silent though :)

Later last night I played Crysis 2 at "Ultra" across the board plus DSR, and experienced a CTD after only a few minutes. After careful checking, I discovered that my memory overclock of +500MHz (8GHz effective) wasn't stable in this game. Additional tuning has resulted in a seemingly more stable +375MHz (7.75GHz effective). Realistically, I'm not sure that I could tell you the difference between the two.

I fiddled with more core clock also. By indications, the voltage is what is limiting my GPU right now, so I gave it +25mV and did some additional gaming. It did hit higher boost clocks, but then became voltage limited again. Another bump to +50mV and it immediately became thermally limited and the overall clockrate slid down.

So, for now, +125MHz on core, 375MHz on ram, 115% power level, no voltage adjustment, and no fan adjustment seems to be an easy target for my rig. When my AC is back in working order, I'll mess with it again.

Back