Nvidia G-SYNC

DSC

Regular
Banned
MjW6KqU.jpg

Seems like a good idea; Though it gets hampered by the need to make it proprietary, therefore dramatically reducing adoption and increasing costs.

Still, it is a start of something interesting so good job Nvidia.

Should`ve been standard since DVI. Why does a display-tech without refresh rate need a refresh rate.
Better late than never I guess

Since this is proprietary I see this tech suffering the same fate as Nvidia's 3d monitors, expensive and niche. It wouldn't surprise me the module is a tegra chip, since Nvidia has plenty of those laying around. (Edit: It can't be a coincidence that the system requirements are exactly the same as shield, a gtx660 and above...)

P.S: Davros you have another target of your crusade, monitors and the DIY module will only support Display Port. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the Nvidia example of the modified monitor, the result is DP only? Guess this will be another push for DP support which can only be good.

GEFORCE-G-SYNC-Performance_Chart.jpg

A feature that will only work with a few select monitors, probably overpriced ones, and that people will only notice if the game is running at well over 60FPS..
And getting ~100FPS on the latest games requires hardware that is way too expensive to mere mortals.. unless they start lowering IQ to get such framerates.

This is definitely not for me. I'm okay with 50-60FPS + VSync. In fact, I would give more importance to a monitor with a good panel with great contrast, brightness, color reproduction, etc. than something that is just very fast.

I guess that e-athletes should find this useful, but it's definitely not something that will leave a niche anytime soon, IMHO. Maybe it'll get adoption rates similar to 3DVision and multi-monitor gaming, but I doubt even that.

This seems like a software feature (or at least not part of 3D arch)...will move thread.

Actually it is a hardware module that goes into certain monitors. Though it's not 3D arch, like you said.

While this is nice to have nVidia completely overhyped the impact of lag and stuttering with v-sync enabled. Those are problems in only a few games - i.e. online twitch shooters. For every other game scenario just turn on v-sync to fix tearing and you're golden.

While this is nice to have nVidia completely overhyped the impact of lag and stuttering with v-sync enabled. Those are problems in only a few games - i.e. online twitch shooters. For every other game scenario just turn on v-sync to fix tearing and you're golden.

The "adaptive" solutions from nVidia and Virtu also work well enough.. when they don't break the games.
Nothing like good old vsync enabled in-game.

Wasn't displayport supposed to support a mode where only changed areas of the screen is updated...? That sounds a bit similar to this, on a logical level.

Anyway, requiring the user to own specific monitors etc will just kill this idea completely dead, it will be a bigger gigafail than nvidia shield if that's the only way it can be made to work.

Anyway, requiring the user to own specific monitors etc will just kill this idea completely dead, it will be a bigger gigafail than nvidia shield if that's the only way it can be made to work.

You're going to need a new monitor regardless whether it's g-sync or something else.

A feature that will only work with a few select monitors, probably overpriced ones, and that people will only notice if the game is running at well over 60FPS..
And getting ~100FPS on the latest games requires hardware that is way too expensive to mere mortals.. unless they start lowering IQ to get such framerates.

This is definitely not for me. I'm okay with 50-60FPS + VSync. In fact, I would give more importance to a monitor with a good panel with great contrast, brightness, color reproduction, etc. than something that is just very fast.

I guess that e-athletes should find this useful, but it's definitely not something that will leave a niche anytime soon, IMHO. Maybe it'll get adoption rates similar to 3DVision and multi-monitor gaming, but I doubt even that.
Why would you need high fps for this to work? It actually works better when the fps dips from the forced 30 or 60.

Some e-sports might use it, unless they play with very low settings and their fps goes way over 144fps and they need it for the physics to work properly.

Others, especially console ones(if they can add the support) will welcome it.

Tim Sweeney loved this, because now they don't have to settle on 30fps lock, when the game can handle 60, but sometimes dips to 40.

Its rather that you have to work around artificial limitations with double and triple buffering if you have something thats not a even fraction of the refreshrate.
It just makes perfect sense to output without any delay and let the monitor handle the swap at the best time possible. TVs needed to explicitly support 24fp for movies, otherwise you get a duplicate frame one a second which is a notable stutter.

this also scales down nicely if you barely have screen updates (saving power, think laptops)

Why would you need high fps for this to work? It actually works better when the fps dips from the forced 30 or 60.
AFAIK, the previous implementations of "adaptive" VSync already take good care of that part.

Some e-sports might use it, unless they play with very low settings and their fps goes way over 144fps and they need it for the physics to work properly.

Come again? You need over 144fps for the physics to work properly?!
The physics in games have independent refresh rates.. What does one thing have to do with another?

Others, especially console ones(if they can add the support) will welcome it.
Too bad we just got into a brand new generation of consoles they're already on global distribution and they all use AMD graphics so that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Tim Sweeney loved this, because now they don't have to settle on 30fps lock, when the game can handle 60, but sometimes dips to 40.
Yes, they have.. because very, very few people will have a complete "Gsync" setup.

Its rather that you have to work around artificial limitations with double and triple buffering if you have something thats not a even fraction of the refreshrate.
It just makes perfect sense to output without any delay and let the monitor handle the swap at the best time possible. TVs needed to explicitly support 24fp for movies, otherwise you get a duplicate frame one a second which is a notable stutter.

this also scales down nicely if you barely have screen updates (saving power, think laptops)

Should we have an industry standard that solves those issues? Yes.
Is a thing like a proprietary hardware module that goes into a few select monitors going to solve that globally? No.

Not all gamers are PC gamers; not all PC gamers use nVidia cards; not all PC gamers that use nVidia cards have a Kepler GPU, not all PC gamers with a Kepler GPU are playing in monitors (I play lots of games in my plasma TV); very few PC gamers with a Kepler GPU that play in monitors will be willing to switch to an expensive monitor just to have that problem solved (which isn't even a problem for most people).
Not to mention that those framerates can probably only be achieved in a TN panel, so goodbye IPS.

Back