Another new monitor, but with more urgency.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
It's my son's birthday and it sort of snuck up on my wife so I'm looking for a g-sync monitor for him. Still looking, but right now the Asus G259Q monitor is looking pretty good.

Any better suggestions in the same price range? He has a 2060 super and a Ryzen 1600 clocked to 4GHz.

Does it have to be Gsync? I think NVIDIA finally added support for the "standard" VRR capability. And if so, maybe a Dark Matter monitor? Dark Matter by Monoprice 27in Gaming Monitor - 16:9, 1920x1080p, FHD, 165Hz - Monoprice.com is on sale for $149 right now with free shipping.

I've had really good luck with three Monoprice monitors, including the 35" ultrawide I'm typing on right now. They all come with a pixel-perfect warranty, they all have good connectivity IMO, and the two monitors where I've used the stand both came with sturdy enough stands. My 35" is using a desk-attached VESA mount.

Edit: Reviews are pretty solid, specifically around the monitor and gaming quality, when it first came out at MSRP of $350:
Dark Matter by Monoprice 27-inch Gaming Monitor review: IGZO never looked so good for $350 | Windows Central
Dark Matter by Monoprice 27-Inch Monitor Review: Gaming on an IGZO Panel | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)
Monoprice Dark Matter 27-inch Gaming Monitor review | PC Gamer

Those reviews are for the 1440 resolution, not the 1080. Also I don't like the stand. My son doesn't want a monitor arm, so the base is important. Thank you though, it is an awesome deal.

I ordered the Asus and it'll be here tomorrow. It checked all the boxes he wanted, and he likes the stand as his desk ain't got the most room for a real leggy one. Also nice height adjustment and it pivots. :)

Yeah man, nothing wrong with that Asus at all. Just wanted to try to offer another alternative. I didn't catch the difference in the reviews for the specific resolution, so my apologies :)

No problem, I really do appreciate the help. Thanks again.

My only fear on the Asus is that it literally checked every box he was looking for, and that don't seem possible. :LOL:

Thanks, looks like he did!

It's beautiful, just beautiful! The display's backlighting is even and I can't see any obvious bleeding, on mine I could notice it was a bit uneven the first day but I find it very acceptable. He had to calibrate the f-word out of it, but what monitor don't you have to when you get it? Also found out why he wanted pivot so bad, he's been doing retro arcade games and wanted to turn it sideways to get the old arcade experience and DAMN it looks amazing doing it!

The screen also has one of the best anti-glare coatings I've ever seen, very happy with the purchase. :yes:

Awesome! Glad it turned out so well, and that's cool AF about his love for retro arcade games.

Some of my best childhood memories are when my dad worked for an arcade chain. Moon Patrol, Galaga, Burger Time, the original Pac Man, the old ski ball games where you'd remove all the skin from your knuckles rolling the balls. I have all the ROMs on my home server somewhere, but I haven't looked at ROM emulator software since I can't remember when. Maybe I'll dig those out this weekend and show my kids :)

Back