Nvidia disdain for customers

trinibwoy

Meh
Legend
Supporter
Saw a rant by charlie at L'Inq and followed his links to Nvidia's SLI Support Forum

Considering that the forum is named "Need Help -> Ongoing SLI Support" I find it quite appalling that these people are literally being ignored after shelling out hundreds of dollars on Nvidia hardware. WTF is up with that?

Does Nvidia still take it's old stand that they don't supply direct to customers, so they do not offer support to end-users? It seems pretty weird that they opened their own forums and then won't support people, but maybe it's like the NV40 Purevideo thing where it's not fixable, so they are just keeping their corporate heads down.

I know there's a lot of people in the various Nforce forums that feel they have been abandoned by Nvidia when it comes to driver updates. I was certainly surprised when I read that my Nforce 2 motherboard won't ever be getting any Vista compatible SMBus drivers, so it does seem par for the course.

Interesting issue. I just think its out right stupid that Nvidia would have such a forum on their boards. Especially since they offer no normal means of technical support, the forum will simply get them landed with this, as it presents a false picture to those looking for help.

Does Nvidia still take it's old stand that they don't supply direct to customers, so they do not offer support to end-users? It seems pretty weird that they opened their own forums and then won't support people, but maybe it's like the NV40 Purevideo thing where it's not fixable, so they are just keeping their corporate heads down.

I know there's a lot of people in the various Nforce forums that feel they have been abandoned by Nvidia when it comes to driver updates. I was certainly surprised when I read that my Nforce 2 motherboard won't ever be getting any Vista compatible SMBus drivers, so it does seem par for the course.

some of the nfarce2 motherboards do works with vista. Problem is you have to be lucky enough to basically find a vanilla driver. Depends how much work you want to do.

Theres also these people by the way ;)

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=21387&st=0

Saw a rant by charlie at L'Inq and followed his links to Nvidia's SLI Support Forum

Considering that the forum is named "Need Help -> Ongoing SLI Support" I find it quite appalling that these people are literally being ignored after shelling out hundreds of dollars on Nvidia hardware. WTF is up with that?

What is up with the fact several people have asked for Chris Ray to chime in and he has literally ignored them?

some of the nfarce2 motherboards do works with vista. Problem is you have to be lucky enough to basically find a vanilla driver. Depends how much work you want to do.

That's odd, because i've installed RC1 on a Nforce 2 from Asus without a single external driver.

Indeed. I've installed RC2 and RTM on three different nForce-2 small-form-factor systems without a single external driver as well.

I do take some issue with the way the inquirer has reported on this issue. Leave it to the inquirer to take the issue completely out of context. The users werent ignored on the SLI forums. I recieve tons of posts there daily and I sometimes simply miss them. With the crazy amount of posts there that I have to reply and document and assist with there are always some that may end up missed. Since the way I document and record on the forums isnt fool proof. Now I admit I missed the 2 posts((one of which is in a subforum that isnt frequented often)) and I apologize to people for that but there certainly isnt anything shady going on.

To make a long story short. Nvidia is already discussing the issue with me and looking into it.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Y'know, Chris, you shouldn't take this stuff quite so personally. I mean, in some ways that's good because it means you try harder to meet the needs of NVIDIA users. But you know what, there are tens (hundreds?) of millions of NVIDIA users, and exactly one ChrisRay. You can't do it all, let alone do it all in real-time, and part-time at that. And if that's the expectation that you have for you, and the expectation that Nvidia has for you, then wow that's way over the top expectations-wise. My $.02.

Apology

I do take some issue with the way the inquirer has reported on this issue. Leave it to the inquirer to take the issue completely out of context. The users werent ignored on the SLI forums. I recieve tons of posts there daily and I sometimes simply miss them. With the crazy amount of posts there that I have to reply and document and assist with there are always some that may end up missed. Since the way I document and record on the forums isnt fool proof. Now I admit I missed the 2 posts((one of which is in a subforum that isnt frequented often)) and I apologize to people for that but there certainly isnt anything shady going on.

To make a long story short. Nvidia is already discussing the issue with me and looking into it.

Chris

I offer an apology for my post, but I found it odd that 1 of the posters has had this issue for quite some time and even quested you about it and he said he has gotten no responce from you or Nvidia. I should have worded what I said better, sorry.

What exactly is going on with the 1080i thing and SLI? I dont have a TV or a monitor that supports it so no biggie, but would like more info on what is going on.

Xman. Its ok. I am more annoyed at the inquirer's way of reporting this. Like I said earlier. Nobody has been intentionally ignored. If they had any idea the number of posts I respond too daily it's easy to understand how things can be overlooked. Right now I dont have any information. And we're talking to the SLI Product Managers to find out exactly whats going on.

Chris

Chris, like geo said it's not right that you have to take personal responsibility for this. But after I read that thread I just imagined how I would feel if I was bumping an issue on Nvidia's official board for almost two weeks without any response. Hope Nvidia supports you on this so that you can provide an adequate answer to those who are waiting.

I think I should clarify for the sake of facts. I'm the one who monitors and reports issues to Nvidia on the SLI forums. I keep them up to date on whats going on there. Including outstanding issues such as this. So the fact that they did not see that thread was infact my responsibility. Now I made a human error and overlooked that thread. And I do not respond to PMS at all. ((I have a very specific signature that tells people not to contact me for troubleshooting)). So I probably very easily overlooked a PM that I may have recieved.

Nvidia may help me assist with the troubleshooting and helping them as well as provide me with hardware and testing drivers. But they were not even aware of the issue on the forums. As due to my oversight. Now I'm gonna try and help the user. But this certainly wasnt an "Nvidia disdain for its customers" issue. This was ChrisRay making an oversight on an issue that I coulda probably had an answer too sooner had I just been more fully aware of the problem. I answer and help with over 30-40 threads a week. Its human on my part to make a mistake here.

Chris

Ever thought about asking Nvidia to spread the support/moderation duties around a bit? Will free you up a little and offer better coverage/presence in the forums too. Having said that this issue has to be bigger than just this one incident - seems like it's been out there for a while and Nvidia must have known about it long ago :shrug:

At least your feedback was greatly appreciated - "Chris Ray, thank you thank you thank you for the reply. At least something is happening. Please keep me posted on anything you hear back on this, even if it is just to acknowledge that your guys have been able to replicate the problem (trust me, it isn't hard!)."

:D

I don't think anyone should feel any obligation to respond when "called out" in a forum like that, it's actually one of the very few things me and Russ agree on.

If you do respond you're going to be obliged to respond to EVER f-ing post that someone calls you out in, and I don't think that is right.

People posting to forums for help should just post up for help, they shouldn't specify who they want help from. That's what PMs are for.

(Sorry, I really do feel that way....but I gotta add that Hanners' & Geo's comments are killing me! :LOL: )

I feel the same way. I absolutely hate it when people send issues to my team and address them directly to me. It's like I'm obligated to respond even though it's not my responsibility. Grrrr.

Back