NVIDIA Are the Industry Standard Shader Driving Force?

In benchmarking games that will be mainly played online, current time demos don't reflect what you see anyways, now if the game is single player only the timedemo should be a accurate reflection of what you will see..like the old Quake 2 timedemos.
Reverends old Quake 2 timedemos were pretty accurate of what you saw playing online CTF back then.

Again the reviewer needs to realize that 'real world tests' would be far more appreciated in the end, games like BF 1942 with a 64 player server really pushes any video card to the Max, with 12 planes in the air, 10 tanks, 64 models, Battlships etc..

The repeatablity isn't that important, but a average over a couple of matches would be much better.

Considering nvidia's recent issue with 3dmark03, their claim sounds like they will OPTIMIZE for FRAPS this time.

PS) BTW, the shadermark score is a bit strange, especially fixed fxn.
Perhaps, hence the OPTIMIZATION is too radical, after the shuffling the shader codes,
the optimizations gone awry and did some negative effects on the final score, let alone neutralizing the cheats.

the sad thing has to be how many people (such as Kyle) will eat this nVidia PR crap hook line and sinker.......

The line between application optimization and blatant cheating has been blurred to the point that it really does not matter anymore

nVidia got what they wanted ATi dragged into this whole cheating scandal.....

nelg said:
That quote sounds like desperation and leaves me with the impression that they have serious "delusions of grander"

Take the N and A out of Nvidia and you get Vidi which means 'I saw', I'm sure they based it off veni, vidi, vici. I came, I saw, I conquered. So as of late They lose, they cheat, they get lawyers .

And those silly comments are suppose to save face, I think they are really scared.

It reminds me of the guy who was talking to his psychologist and his psychologist said, "You're in denial". To which the guy's simple response was, "No I'm not".
I just loved that line, it sums it up so nicely. 8)

nVidia just seems to be getting sillier and more desperate with each passing relevation. Glad to see your response Brent as I agree with ya on the accuracy/reliability of fraps, but I truly fear what will happen to me blood pressure when I see what your boss does with this one. :(

Rockman said:
Take the N and A out of Nvidia and you get Vidi which means 'I saw', I'm sure they based it off veni, vidi, vici. I came, I saw, I conquered. So as of late They lose, they cheat, they get lawyers .

No they didn't.
I'm not too sure of the origin of the word nVidia - in fact, I even think it has a direct signification in some languages, but I can't remember whiches.
But if we're talking latin...

invidia : envy, jealousy, hatred /censure.
Source: http://www.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/cgi-bin...Latin?query=invidia&case=on&whole=on&errors=0

There, you even only have to retrieve one letter, eh... And I'm not inventing things, check it for yourself at the link if you want.

Uttar

Finally double glazing salesman are no longer top of my bullshit list. Congratulations Nvidia come pick up your prize.... Oh I see yer already smoking it ;)

My list looks like this:

1. Iraqi Information Minister
2. Bose
3. nVidia

They still have a way to go to beat Bose, IMO. At least nVidia actually make pretty decent products.

MuFu.

Basically, nVidia's position is that all benchmarks should be discarded because they don't flatter nVidia hardware, thus they intrinsically have no value. And, that APIs are silly and the industry should just concede and let nVidia call the shots, which of course center around what's best for nVidia hardware. And, that even though nine out of ten developers who develop for nVidia products also simultaneously develop for ATi products, it's a completely irrelevant distinction to make and has no meaning and is not important for people to know.

Every time I think nVidia has reached a new plateau in delusional thinking the company manages to scale to yet greater heights. nVidia thinks it should:

Code all benchmarks itself to suit itself, otherwise nVidia will actively undermine them

Formulate all APIs to suit its purposes and hardware specifically, otherwise nVidia will ignore them and seek to usurp them

Create all relevant development tools which will "properly" support its hardware, because nobody else's hardware matters except as a threat to nVidia that has to be put down

What seems to have "Dawned" with nV3x is not "cinematic computing" but the nVidia Manifesto. Mein nVidia, anyone?...;)

I was just over @[H](yes, I like it over there) and was reading their thread on this matter....
The forum members over there really want a statement out of Brent & Kyle on alot of issues. But Kyle did comment on this particular one..
FrgMstr

You know, I started writing my thoughts on this and just ended up with an 1100 word editorial.......

FrgMstr

I am going to let our staff read through my thoughts on this and input their own. We have to work as a team here and everyone needs to be focused on the same goals.

To answer your question though, YES. It may not be exactly what you are were expecting but I do think it will be more relevant to the industry and what needs to be focused on. I have learned there are things you can change and things you can't. We need to be aware of our role in this and how to best handle it. I think HardOCP will have a handle on that.

Though this sounds strikingly similar to the rest of his remarks on other related issues, I'm hoping for a different outlook from him. I dunno.
I liked it when both Brent and Kyle used to come over here and talk to you guy's. I dont like the way websites are splitting apart(I know they were never close)

I liked it when both Brent and Kyle used to come over here and talk to you guy's.

Well, if every time I came and visited some place, and people spat on me, I'd stop visiting. And that is exactly what happens here when Kyle comes and visits. Whether he's right or wrong in his facts, or counter to the prevailing opinion, the amount of vitriolic antagonism spewed in his direction is downright embarrasing.

RussSchultz said:
I liked it when both Brent and Kyle used to come over here and talk to you guy's.

Well, if every time I came and visited some place, and people spat on me, I'd stop visiting. And that is exactly what happens here when Kyle comes and visits. Whether he's right or wrong in his facts, or counter to the prevailing opinion, the amount of vitriolic antagonism spewed in his direction is downright embarrasing.

I never spat on you. I think you are funny. :D

Kyle sometimes maybe a little off when trying to make a point but I don't see him trying to create enemies. Is he? :?

RussSchultz said:

Russ, I think it's great when people come and visit--better still when they have something substantial to say. I found Kyle's "Two days after the Doom 3 preview..." attack on ExtremeTech to be one of the most embarrasing commentaries I've read on a web site since the glory days at Tom's Hardware...;) That's not to mention his embarrasing and indefensible "If you can't see the cheating it's not cheating" comments, considering that the complaints about the cheating were based entirely on what you could see (somehow invisible to Kyle, though.) No question Kyle knows how to dispense his own brand of vitriolic antagonism when it suits him, right? "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen," etc....

Sure, I know it's tough to post opinions in a forum in which you have no control and can't delete inconvenient posts and ban people's accounts because you don't like their opinions--but, hey, if you are going to use the front page of your web site to rip other web sites, rip software companies, and others, and make accusations you can't defend or substantiate, you really shouldn't be surprised when others take you to task for it and demand some sort of an explanation that goes beyond "because I say so." That sort of behavior is really embarrasing, I think. I'd be embarrassed about it, too, if I was him.

But I think the root of any "antagonism" you might sense is fueled in no small part by a complete inability on Kyle's part to explain his editorial comments in a manner that holds up to scrutiny. I think that's what embarrasses him the most--understandably.

Anyway, now that nVidia is moving toward the wholesale public condemnation of all benchmarks which don't portray its hardware as nVidia would like it portrayed (something as innocuous as "fraps" is now slothfully wicked and wrongheaded), it will be interesting to see how far [H] will go along with nVidia to stamp out all anti-nVidia propaganda software (like fraps, for cryin' out loud.)

I'd like nothing better to see Kyle do a 180 and say--"You know, nVidia is going too far in its bid to control the 3D chip industry and we at [H] would like to see them cease and desist post haste before they hurt themselves so much they may never recover." I can understand an opinion which is that 3D Mark is not representative of some things. I may not agree with the general spirit of such opinions but I can understand them.

What I will never understand is shooting the messenger and blaming FutureMark for the way in which nVidia has butchered the company's software with its Detonators. Should bank robbers be pardoned because the bank they robbed was there and vulnerable to a well-planned heist? I don't think that's an excuse--and likewise cheating a benchmark just to make your products appear better than they actually are simply because the benchmark is vulnerable is no excuse, either. But Kyle's position as he has expressed it is that nVidia is blameless and what everybody should do is throw out their benchmarks--I guess because nVidia says so. How about a novel approach--like for instance nVidia doesn't cheat? Hey, that would work. I think it's opinions like these as Kyle as characterized them that create a certain amount of understandable contempt, Russ.

I notice Mr Huddy claimed in his response that ATi renders the Dawn demo faster than nVidia can.

Perhaps he should examine ATi's output more closely. The hair is incorrectly rendered and the eyelashes are missing altogether. These are computationally expensive components of the Dawn demo - little wonder ATi hardware runs the demo faster!

For those who will claim that that ATi's shaders are superior I ask "then why can you not render Dawns hair and eyelashes correctly"? If your reply is the extensions are unsupported I ask "why are they unsupported, or equivelant extensions not in place? After all you claim to have a superior product..."

nVidia got what they wanted ATi dragged into this whole cheating scandal.....
Actually, it was ATi who tipped tech-report off and started the current round of squabbling...

Radar, no offence, but thats a pretty weak post.
Your obviously angry about all this, we arent trying to make Nvidia look bad in this thread. If it seems that way, you might want to stop and think that maybe Nvidia's doing it to themselves.
Dont grasp for straws. The pixie demo has no real relevance to this conversation.

So because you have no real answer to the truth of my post it suddenly becomes weak? :LOL:

On the subject of this topic, nVidia WILL have the industry standard shaders - the GF-FX 5200 series will guarantee that. It wasn't released just to be nice to the low end (majority) of the market you know - though that's part of it...

EDIT: wrote drivers instead of shaders.

radar1200gs said:
I notice Mr Huddy claimed in his response that ATi renders the Dawn demo faster than nVidia can.

Perhaps he should examine ATi's output more closely. The hair is incorrectly rendered and the eyelashes are missing altogether. These are computationally expensive components of the Dawn demo - little wonder ATi hardware runs the demo faster!
Maybe it's the wrapper that's broken, smart guy.
For those who will claim that that ATi's shaders are superior I ask "then why can you not render Dawns hair and eyelashes correctly"? If your reply is the extensions are unsupported I ask "why are they unsupported, or equivelant extensions not in place? After all you claim to have a superior product..."
For those who will claim that NVIDIA's shaders are superior I ask "then why can you not render applications with 32-bit floats and instead drop back to FX12?" If your reply is that 32-bit floats aren't required I ask "then why are there image quality differences between your output and refrast? After all you claim to have the superior product..."

See how boring it is to argue with yourself?

-FUDie

Doomtrooper said:
Re: Fraps...
Accuracy is not a issue, I've loaded up games with a in game counter and ran Fraps with it, the counter was matching exactly what the 'in game' counter was.
A while back there definitely was a problem with Fraps reporting an incorrect (i.e. much lower) score with PowerVR cards (i.e. actually interfering with performance) but this may have been fixed.

Back