Nvidia Ampere Discussion [2020-05-14]

Not usually a Nvidia cheerleader, but come on don't let us down today.
Seriously thirsty for some decent news and details about anything at the moment.
Be a bonus if they keep the cost half reasonable.

Yeah, I'm hyped. Don't really know why, as I won't change gpu soon. But, it feels (or it's only me), than nVidia will bring the big guns this time. I don't expect much in classic rasterisation (maybe 30% vs 20xx ?), but it's their second shoot at RT, I really hope a big increase, like 50-75%.
And then I will be curious of amd reaction, since they can't have a too little too late moment again imo. It will be fun.

Nvidia has already done their price anchoring with Turing so they only need to not increase Ampere by a lot and consumers will be accepting of the pricing.

NVidia is keeping the expensive cards (against its chest) for when AMD attacks? Cherry-picked 3090Ti with 84SMs, 21Gbps memory? What else?
84 vs 82 is so marginally more (+2.x %) and TGP seems high aleady, so they probably cannot clock it meaningfully higher either.

Competition will need to at least match feature set.
Big Navi probably has more than (Texture) Sampler Feedback Tier 0.9, HDMI 2.1 and Raytracing are basically confirmed (through consoles) as well and all the other checkboxes are ticked by Navi already. Or what am I missing here?

According to 3DCenter, 3060 and 3070 will be based on GA104.

palit-decodierung-proaqjzv.png

and Raytracing are basically confirmed (through consoles) as well and all the other checkboxes are ticked by Navi already. Or what am I missing here?
Performance in Ray Tracing, the details given in Xbox Series X puts RDNA 2 to be less performant than Turing, Ampere could be significantly higher than both. Also DLSS 2, also performance in Mesh Shaders is a mystery.

Big Navi probably has more than (Texture) Sampler Feedback Tier 0.9, HDMI 2.1 and Raytracing are basically confirmed (through consoles) as well and all the other checkboxes are ticked by Navi already. Or what am I missing here?

a DLSS like solution ?

84 vs 82 is so marginally more (+2.x %) and TGP seems high aleady, so they probably cannot clock it meaningfully higher either.
We know that these newest process nodes have fairly high variability in clocks/power - the silicon lottery only gets worse as time goes by.

84SM + best silicon + ~8% better bandwidth?

If you're interested in a 3090, are you not going to wait to find out what the 3090Ti does? Or is that going to be the Titan, which gamers just ignore because $4000?

I'm really curious as to what they end up releasing. There is so much speculation. I'm sure it'll make for fascinating reading when the entire history and product is revealed. As a consumer I'm more interesting in seeing how RT slots into the product, especially in lower end devices. If RT is to reach a semblance of general acceptance it needs to be possible even in the mid-range.

I just hope the performance boost is better, and the value proposition, than RTX had. I'm still disappointed in the rather tepid performance improvement it offered over the previous gen. RT as a feature wasn't worth it then, and I have a hard time believing it will be fully worth it now. But we shall see. Exciting times ahead!

So wait ALL consumer GPUs are confirmed on Samsung? Was it Jensen who said only a small portion was on Samsung? This was obviously not a last minute switch so why all the BS?

That's a software check box, not hardware.
It's about how performant any competing ml upscaling that amd can do is.

If RDNA2 and ampere is in the same ballpark in general performance but ampere can render at 1080/1440p and achieve equivalent image quality, then that would be a huge performance gain.

I know not all games use dlss, but it is enough and growing to make a reasonable difference, even if only for a headline statement.

Back