NPD July 2018

Sony was probably considering it but would they have if there were no 4k TVs?

Sony's narrative, which does fit events, is that they were concerned about mid-genearation (onwards) bleed of users to PC as the console tech begins to show it's age. Even if you ignore 4K, PS4 Pro brings solid performance to 1080p TVs users and, of course, PSVR. Unlike X, which blew the doors off original Xbox One performance, Pro was a much more conservative effort. I get the feeling that Sony themselves weren't 100% sure about the demand for it, including whether it would really stave off mid-gun bleed to PC, so didn't go all out. They now have a sense of the demand for such a console going forward but whether they means PS5 Pro becomes a thing and whether they aim to hit a higher technical performance leap above the launch console, is the big question.

Sony was probably considering it but would they have if there were no 4k TVs?
In general does a Pro as it is now offer a substantial difference for someone to buy one without owning a 4K?
I haven't seen worthwhile improvements for someone who owns a 1080p TV.

Just using this as an example that can easily be looked up, but many variety streamers that stream games on PC/PS4/rarely XBO went full steam on PS4-P even though they all stream at 1080p or 720p. The main reason was for games that offered performance enhancements at 1080p. Either for smoother locked framerates or framerates greater than 30 FPS.

Unfortunately, support in games was hit or miss WRT better performance at 1080p, but overall even at 1080p the experience was better with a PS4-P in most cases.

Regards,
SB

Just using this as an example that can easily be looked up, but many variety streamers that stream games on PC/PS4/rarely XBO went full steam on PS4-P even though they all stream at 1080p or 720p. The main reason was for games that offered performance enhancements at 1080p. Either for smoother locked framerates or framerates greater than 30 FPS.

Unfortunately, support in games was hit or miss WRT better performance at 1080p, but overall even at 1080p the experience was better with a PS4-P in most cases.

Regards,
SB
Yeah but still not the kind of experience someone considering to move to PC is looking for.

Yeah but still not the kind of experience someone considering to move to PC is looking for.

Yes, but enough to keep some people from moving to PC if one of their motivations was better or more consistent performance, which is the case for many gamers that might want to game on PC versus console. At the same time if those people also weren't looking forward to the additional maintenance that a PC requires over a console, it made the choice to stick with console a bit easier.

Regards,
SB

Yes, but enough to keep some people from moving to PC if one of their motivations was better or more consistent performance, which is the case for many gamers that might want to game on PC versus console.

Regards,
SB
I think they mostly got the average joes and the core console players in there

I played GTS, Wipeout, Tekken7, Uncharted 4 and maybe another couple of games on a 4K TV with Pro. The difference was negligible.
I'm confused. You said you hadn't seen any worthwhile improvements for games at 1080p, but your reference is games at 4K? Prior to PS4Pro's release, and regards the whole mid-gen refresh, there was plenty of forum talk about wanting improvements at 1080p, most noticeably higher framerates. PS4Pro gives that in an inconsistent way, with improvements including high framerate options, better visuals at 1080p, and/or better fidelity. If 4K didn't exist, Pro enhanced games would no doubt focus far more on sprucing up the visuals (twice as much shader power per pixel), which perhaps now is playing second fiddle to higher resolutions and true 1080p enhancements are possibly being somewhat overlooked.

I'm confused. You said you hadn't seen any worthwhile improvements for games at 1080p, but your reference is games at 4K? Prior to PS4Pro's release, and regards the whole mid-gen refresh, there was plenty of forum talk about wanting improvements at 1080p, most noticeably higher framerates. PS4Pro gives that in an inconsistent way, with improvements including high framerate options, better visuals at 1080p, and/or better fidelity. If 4K didn't exist, Pro enhanced games would no doubt focus far more on sprucing up the visuals (twice as much shader power per pixel), which perhaps now is playing second fiddle to higher resolutions and true 1080p enhancements are possibly being somewhat overlooked.
I dont own a pro. It was at a friends house. He didnt select any presets. He doesnt know about performance or quality modes. He just pops the games in.

Edit: For me the biggest improvement I was expecting from Pro at least was not just a more stable framerate. But the option to go noticeably higher. This option is rarely there

GTA V is stupid. They're under no pressure to release a new game in the series with evergreen sales that'd make Nintendo jealous.

I would assume this is the highest selling game of all time? I am sure they are hard at work on the next entry in the series, but it does showcase an idea that not having yearly reiterations can actually workout for developers. I have to believe consumer fatigue will eventually catch up with games like Assassins Creed and Call of Duty. It hasn't happened in a meaningful way yet, but I do think a game like Fortnite is more likely to snatch players away from COD than it is GTA. COD has been the most popular competitive online multiplayer experience for a long time, but with a game like Fortnite now trending its possible that the torch could be passed on, and COD Black Ops 4 might see a big decline. Its hard to completely flop when you spend the type of marketing money Activision does on COD, but still, the well will eventually go dry.

Tetris and Minecraft have both sold more than 100million, but considering dollars paid, GTA V is no doubt way in front.
OK I was wrong, donno about tetris though, is that the original game, or is it the spin off's. i.e. you dont count GTA 3 with vice city, san andres etc

OK I was wrong, donno about tetris though, is that the original game, or is it the spin off's. i.e. you dont count GTA 3 with vice city, san andres etc

The number is for the original Tetris and its various ports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris

In January 2010, it was announced that the Tetris franchise had sold more than 170 million copies, approximately 70 million physical copies and over 100 million copies for cell phones, making it the best selling paid-downloaded game of all time

My interpretation is the original game and ports and not subsequent follow-ups or offshoots, but it could go either way. So sort of like how GTA 5 sales numbers include PS3/PS4/X360/XBO/PC. And not all games in the GTA series. Although the quote is a bit vague so it could mean all the various Tetris games as well since it mentions franchise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

Looking here it would appear to be the original Tetris and all Tetris ports that were sold by Spectrum Holobyte.

Regards,
SB

Back