NPD September 2018

If Spider-Man as a franchise has been energised by a decade of Marvel films, why was Activision's 2014 The Amazing Spider-Man game such a shit-show commercially on multiple platforms?

Spider-Man benefitted from being a Sony published title. Sony’s big name titles have been mostly killing it from a quality standpoint this gen as of late.

Going from UC4, HZ, D:BH, GOW to now Spider-Man with DG and TLOU2 on the horizon, these games are looked at as flagship like titles because of the marketing and Sony’s ability to execute when it comes to producing great games.

I think Spider-Man even in its current form would have been a sleeper like title because no one would of expected Activision to give Spider-Man a Destiny or COD like treatment in terms of development.

Most of these franchises like Spider-Man create an expectation that developers will lean heavily on popularity of the franchise to sell the game more than gameplay because historically that has mostly been the case. Sony’s involvment and their first class marketing of the title created a ton of buzz because expectations became heightened.

Sony, as of now, is like the Michael Jordan, Dr. Dre, Steven Spielberg, Robert Downey Jr, Warren Buffet or Taylor Swift of game publishers.

“This is not just Spider-Man, this is Sony’s Spider-Man!!!”

Plug in any publishers’ name other than Sony’s and that statement becomes a bit nonsensical.

Edit: Rockstar is probably the only other pub who would elicit a similar and excited response at such a statement.

LOL.

Last edited:
Surprised by halo. Everyone talked shit about it not being a real halo because 343i.

Can’t wait to see numbers for infinite

And everyone is always talking shit about CoD. Goes to show how meaningless fan ruckus on the internet tends to be. And speaking of CoD, I would've assumed Inifnite Warfare to be at the bottom. Certainly not that it beat out Advanced Warfare so heandily. Never heard much about NBA 2K either, and yet here it is.

Back