NPD September 2018

Sony is not obliged to release sales data, but for a game that is this successful we may get more stats. Their July-Sept quarterly financial report will be out soon, and holiday season is approaching.

IMO, the next big PlayStation sales info drop will be when PS4 surpasses the install base of PS3.

I would say the road-to-recovery for Spider-Man began with the successful MCU films (i.e., Iron Man, Thor, Avengers, Spider-Man Homecoming, Black Panther, etc.) which Marvel cultivated for the last decade or so, energising older and newer Marvel fans into wanting these games.
If Spider-Man as a franchise has been energised by a decade of Marvel films, why was Activision's 2014 The Amazing Spider-Man game such a shit-show commercially on multiple platforms?

If Spider-Man as a franchise has been energised by a decade of Marvel films, why was Activision's 2014 The Amazing Spider-Man game such a shit-show commercially on multiple platforms?

You must have missed the part where I stated, "as long as the game was good, and had some relevance or connection to the current Marvel Cinematic Universe."

The Amazing Spider-Man was closer to Mark Webb works under Sony Pictures, which isn't canon to the current MCU. Spider Homecoming was handled under Marvel's umbrella (Jon Watts), distributed by Sony Pictures, which PS4 Spider-Man is closely linked with.

Last edited:
Sony is not obliged to release sales data

Sure, but give me break. They have in the past (from their corporate media/social media accounts, or through their 1st party studios), with The Last of Us, God of War, Uncharted series, Horizon Zero Dawn, and even Detroit Become Human. Wondering about Spider-Man worldwide sales numbers is no different from the others.

You must have missed the part where I stated, "as long as the game was good, and had some relevance or connection to the current Marvel Cinematic Universe."

So it's good game versus bad game? And I've not platinum'd the name but apart from Avenger's tower being in NY, what other connections are there in the game to the MCU?

The Amazing Spider-Man was closer to Mark Webb works under Sony. Spider Homecoming was handled under Marvel's umbrella (Jon Watts), which PS4 Spider-Man is closely linked with.

Why do you think Jon Watts is affiliated with Marvel? He is an independent director and not involved in any non-Sony/Spider-Man MCU properties. Marvel have been chasing Sony to bring Spider-Man into MCU. More MCU universe characters have been in Sony Spider-Man films than vice-versa. :yep2: Hanging onto the movie rights to Spider-Man is the least insane decision Sony have made for at least a decade which is why the movie's production billing is in the following order 1) Sony, 2) Columbia Pictures (a Sony company) then finally... 3) Marvel.

So it's good game versus bad game?

YES!? On top of fans being excited from the current MCU material.

I've not platinum'd the name but apart from Avenger's tower being in NY, what other connections are there in the game to the MCU?

Other than Spidey quips relating to the current Avengers, or the Sanctum Sanctorum being present, his Tony Stark Mark suits designs follows the current MCU path.

Why do you think Jon Watts is affiliated with Marvel? He is an independent director and not involved in any non-Sony/Spider-Man MCU properties. Marvel have been chasing Sony to bring Spider-Man into MCU. More MCU universe characters have been in Sony Spider-Man films than vice-versa. uote] Hanging onto the movie rights to Spider-Man is the least insane decision Sony have made for at least a decade which is why the movie's production billing is in the following order 1) Sony, 2) Columbia Pictures (a Sony company) then finally... 3) Marvel.

Jon Watts was hand selected by Marvel, Sony backing their decision, for rebooting the Spider-Man franchise on fitting the current MCU. Sony currently has distributing rights, but Marvel/Disney control how Spider-Man is portrayed on the screen and especially within the MCU.

Edit: And yes, even at Comic-Con 2018 in San Diego (which I attended), PS4 Spider-Man was shown and mentioned that it was closely related to the current MCU material.

Last edited:
By years end, those 2017 holiday sales numbers from November and December, that's currently factored in, will be a moot point for best-selling games over the last 12 months. By years end, more than likely Spider-Man will take 2nd place (as it is currently #3 for year), Far Cry 5 taking #3, GOW taking #4, and of course Red Dead Redemption 2 taking the #1 position.

If this year had another normal COD formula COD game, I'd say COD takes the top spot easily, but I'm not sure the change in COD's formula will go over well.

Also, yes, a rolling 12 month snapshot. Hence why Spiderman entering that chart in its debut month is so impressive. And not just entering it, but entering it at #8. It took GOW 2018 3 or 4 months (don't remember exact month) to get onto the chart. Of course it helps that GTA 5 and some Nintendo titles have dropped off. But that's part and parcel of a rolling 12 month chart.

Basically Spiderman didn't have to contend with quite as many software juggernauts on the chart as GOW 2018, but it is still hugely impressive.

COD: WW2 and Super Mario Odyssey will drop out before the Holiday season ends. Far Cry is likely to hold onto the top spot until Feb 2019.

If the players like the new COD, it has a chance to leap frogging Spiderman, but again the change in COD formula I don't think is going to resonate with people. Then again, I may be underestimating how many people want a BR COD.

RDR 2 has a good chance of moving to the top spot. I'm not sure it has as much draw as GTA though. If it does then FarCry 5 is likely to hold onto the 2nd spot until Feb. 2019.

Spiderman would have to sell 2-3 times as many copies in the next few months as GOW has year to date for it to pass up FarCry5, IMO. Especially when you consider FarCry5 will get a large Holiday Boost in sales from the next Steam Winter Sale.

Regards,
SB

per ResetEra,

PS4 Spider-Man sold 361,922 copies combined in Japan.

https://gematsu.com/2018/10/spider-...month-in-japan-and-more-digital-sales-numbers
The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has digital sales numbers for the period between August 27 and September 30 in Japan, revealing download numbers for Marvel’s Spider-Man‘s opening month and more.
  1. Marvel’s Spider-Man (PS4 – released September 4) – 95,120 download sales (compared to 266,802 physical sales)
  2. God of War III Remastered (PS4 – discounted in early September) – 67,313 download sales
  3. Warriors Orochi 4 (PS4, Switch – released September 27) – 37,324 download sales (compared to 127,491 physical sales)
  4. Pro Evolution Soccer 2019 (PS4 – released August 28) – 35,841 download sales (compared to 114,777 physical sales)
  5. Dead by Daylight (PS4) – 31,676 download sales
  6. Battlefield 1 (PS4, XBO – Premium Pass free in early September) – 30,495 download sales
  7. Conan Exiles (PS4 – released August 23) – 22,452 download sales (compared to 74,579-plus physical sales)
  8. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV ~The End of Saga~ (PS4 – released September 27) – 22,018 download sales (compared to 85,161 physical sales)
  9. Mafia III (PS4, XBO – discounted in late August) – 19,582 download sales
  10. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Switch) – 17,804 download sales

Last edited:
Other than Spidey quips relating to the current Avengers, or the Sanctum Sanctorum being present, his Tony Stark Mark suits designs follows the current MCU path.

A few throwaways but there is little feeling to being inside the MCU. Timeline-wise it is precarious because inside the MCU Tom Holland's Spider-Man is a n00b whereas in the game Spider-Man is an eight-year superhero veteran which puts the game around 2025 in MCU-verse so Sony/Insomniac have zero idea where the MCU will go. Like how when they were the TV writers of Agents of SHIELD in season one had no idea the movie writers of Winter Soldier were setting up SHIELD as the bad guys.

You're either in the cannon, or you ain't. Spider-Man on PS4 isn't, it steps around it all avoiding referring any specific Avengers or story arcs because.. unknown.

Jon Watts was hand selected by Marvel, Sony backing their decision, for rebooting the Spider-Man franchise on fitting the current MCU.

Interesting take. Actual quote from the article you linked: "Feige told Collider in an interview that he sat down with Sony’s Amy Pascal and Tom Rothman and Marvel’s Jeremy Latcham and Louis D’Esposito to pick the candidates.

Spider-Man was a popular IP in the Sam Raimi era. The second reboot (Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man) was not bad, it just did nothing new.

If this year had another normal COD formula COD game, I'd say COD takes the top spot easily, but I'm not sure the change in COD's formula will go over well.

I can agree with that.

Also, yes, a rolling 12 month snapshot. Hence why Spiderman entering that chart in its debut month is so impressive. And not just entering it, but entering it at #8. It took GOW 2018 3 or 4 months (don't remember exact month) to get onto the chart. Of course it helps that GTA 5 and some Nintendo titles have dropped off. But that's part and parcel of a rolling 12 month chart.

True.

Basically Spiderman didn't have to contend with quite as many software juggernauts on the chart as GOW 2018, but it is still hugely impressive.

Isn't Tomb Raider (Shadow of the Tomb Raider in this case) considered a juggernaut? Many people had Shadow of the Tomb Raider pegged for winning September easily over Spider-Man, with the added power of being a multiplatform game.

RDR 2 has a good chance of moving to the top spot. I'm not sure it has as much draw as GTA though. If it does then FarCry 5 is likely to hold onto the 2nd spot until Feb. 2019.

I think Red Dead Redemption 2 will easily hit the number one spot for the year within the first three days of release. The amount of PR, advertisement, hype, pre-sales, and so-on are on pace with GTA V level.

Spiderman would have to sell 2-3 times as many copies in the next few months as GOW has year to date for it to pass up FarCry5, IMO. Especially when you consider FarCry5 will get a large Holiday Boost in sales from the next Steam Winter Sale.

Regards,
SB

I think it will in worldwide sales numbers. So far, Spider-Man numbers have surpassed Far Cry 5 in the UK, and other parts of Europe.

I think it will in worldwide sales numbers. So far, Spider-Man numbers have surpassed Far Cry 5 in the UK, and other parts of Europe.

Sure, but we're talking about NPD. :) FarCry 5 has done relatively better in the US than abroad. Meanwhile Spider-Man is doing quite well abroad.

So while it may end up doing better than FarCry5 worldwide by the end of the year, it may not do that in the US until after FC5 drops off the rolling 12 month chart. But it is certainly possible that it might. But I think the Steam Winter sale will help keep FC5 ahead of Spider-Man until it drops off the chart.

Regards,
SB

A few throwaways but there is little feeling to being inside the MCU. Timeline-wise it is precarious because inside the MCU Tom Holland's Spider-Man is a n00b whereas in the game Spider-Man is an eight-year superhero veteran which puts the game around 2025 in MCU-verse so Sony/Insomniac have zero idea where the MCU will go. Like how when they were the TV writers of Agents of SHIELD in season one had no idea the movie writers of Winter Soldier were setting up SHIELD as the bad guys.

You're either in the cannon, or you ain't. Spider-Man on PS4 isn't, it steps around it all avoiding referring any specific Avengers or story arcs because.. unknown.

No one, nor I, claimed perfect MCU continuity. The Spider-Man PS4 game is to put you into the mind of the current Peter Parker of today, the one working with the Avengers, by using those "few throwaways," as you put it.

Interesting take. Actual quote from the article you linked: "Feige told Collider in an interview that he sat down with Sony’s Amy Pascal and Tom Rothman and Marvel’s Jeremy Latcham and Louis D’Esposito to pick the candidates.

Yes, but that's what you do with business partners (having a say-so). Marvel isn't out to hurt Sony or push their weight around... they wanted Spider-Man to be successful again, and needing him within the current MCU. As stated at comic-con, Marvel/Disney have full creative control over Spider-Man (as of now, for MCU), while Sony maintains distribution rights.

Sure, but we're talking about NPD. :) FarCry 5 has done relatively better in the US than abroad. Meanwhile Spider-Man is doing quite well abroad.

Actually I was talking worldwide numbers all along, using the U.S. NPD sales data along with other sources of data (pertaining to the rest of the world) on coming up with possible worldwide numbers.

So while it may end up doing better than FarCry5 worldwide by the end of the year, it may not do that in the US until after FC5 drops off the rolling 12 month chart. But it is certainly possible that it might. But I think the Steam Winter sale will help keep FC5 ahead of Spider-Man until it drops off the chart.

Regards,
SB

Possible. Maybe Sony pushes a Spider-Man special around Black Friday, or some other Spidey holiday special closer to Christmas. Seeing as Far Cry 4 did 8 million worldwide within a years period, it's safe to say Far Cry 5 will do 2-4 million more than the prior title.

No one, nor I, claimed perfect MCU continuity. The Spider-Man PS4 game is to put you into the mind of the current Peter Parker of today, the one working with the Avengers, by using those "few throwaways," as you put it.

The game is putting you into the mind of Peter Parker in eight years time from when we've seen him in films released this year. That's why connections to the MCU are bare minimum.

As stated at comic-con, Marvel/Disney have full creative control over Spider-Man (as of now, for MCU), while Sony maintains distribution rights.

The 2015 deal allows Sony to distribute and have creative control over MCU films where Spider-Man is the main character, while Disney distributes the ones where he is not. Sony still own the rights to Spider-Man in film. The deal is mutually beneficial for Marvel and Sony and has been documented many times in many places.

Increasingly O/T here so last post from me in this thread.

The game is putting you into the mind of Peter Parker in eight years time from when we've seen him in films released this year. That's why connections to the MCU are bare minimum.

We can happily disagree with each other on this.

The 2015 deal allows Sony to distribute and have creative control over MCU films where Spider-Man is the main character, while Disney distributes the ones where he is not. Sony still own the rights to Spider-Man in film.

Yet it was Disney/Marvel who made sure Spiderman Homecoming was successful, by having a major hand within writing, directing and production.

The deal is mutually beneficial for Marvel and Sony and has been documented many times in many places.

Increasingly O/T here so last post from me in this thread.

Never said it wasn't.

NPD: Top 10 Life-To-Date Sold on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One

img_20181102_234712upcbe.jpg

img_20181102_2347091liz7.jpg

Holy smoke... the fact God of War is within PS4's top 10 for LTD sales (a 2018 title at that), is quite amazing. Next month, Spider-Man!

Far Cry 5 not having a spot within the top 10 LTD on consoles, is quite shocking. I wonder if those sales were largely by PC gamers? Also, Destiny 2 not showing up in the PS4 column, is surprising as well.

Update:
Mat Piscatella
NBA 2K18, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege and Overwatch are all well within jumping on the Xbox One top 10 by end of year, so long as other titles don't raise the bar (which they likely will).

Marvel's Spider-Man will jump on the PS4 list next month, while Destiny 2 is well within range, but with the same caveats on the bar being raised by the big Q4 releases.

Destiny is a funky one... Destiny, Destiny: The Collection and Destiny: The Taken King are all considered separate titles.

Last edited:
Surprised by halo. Everyone talked shit about it not being a real halo because 343i.

Can’t wait to see numbers for infinite

Back