NPD January 2010

Rangers

Legend
Already some results from A. Greenburg's twitter. 360 333k, PS3 277k, Mass Effect 2 572k

The rest in ~10 minutes.

Data care of NPD Group

PlayStation 2 41.6K
PlayStation 3 276.9K
PSP 100.1K
Xbox 360 332.8K
Wii 465.8K
Nintendo DS 422.2K

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09 656.7K
MASS EFFECT 2* 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jan-10 572.1K
WII FIT PLUS W/ BALANCE BOARD* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Oct-09 555.7K
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 326.7K
MARIO KART W/ WHEEL WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-08 310.9K
SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-09 297.6K
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* PS3 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 259.0K
ARMY OF TWO: THE 40TH DAY 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Jan-10 246.5K
JUST DANCE WII UBISOFT Nov-09 191.9K
DARKSIDERS 360 THQ Jan-10 171.2k

wow... back down to Earth but not bad for a January...

Pretty sure that's a healthy boost YoY for Jan for 360 and PS3? (edit: 309,000 units 1/2009 to 332,000 2010) and PS3 (PS3: 203,200 / 276,900)

good job ME2 (how long was it reported? 1 week?) and WOW at MW2 :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Wii and PS3 supposedly had some shortages, although sometimes in seems to me like one console or another is always in a state of partial shortage these days...

If so, it would seem to be worse for PS3 in February as the PS3 shortages just seem to be noticed recently. While you can find PS3 at some places, at others not as much.

Anyway, results, about what expected. Not to bring that one site up, but their software top ten looked about like this so no real surprises. Except maybe that ME2 wasn't #1.

The HD twins combined back to handily beating Wii, though again the shortage excuse, but as I say, seems shortages are always in play these days so you just have to go with the results.

PS2 really dropped. I recall reading a couple months ago some retailers are beginning to heavily reduce further or remove their PS2 sections, so it's sales declines will probably snowball.
JAN 09 / JAN 10

Wii: 679,200 / 465,800
NDS: 510,800 / 422,200
X360: 309,000 / 332,800
PS3: 203,200 / 276,900
PSP: 172,300 / 100,100
PS2: 101,200 / 41,600

Last edited by a moderator:
Low numbers for the Playstation family and ME2.

Are you serious? That was just one week. The last week of the month everyone likes to state the reason some games don't show good sales due to the release date. Almost 600k is pretty good for 1 week of sales. MAG is what your comment should be referring too since it was released on the same day and midnight launch like Mass Effect 2.

I was expecting better numbers for ME2. And MAG looks like it flopped.

Then both came out towards the end of Jan, so lets just see if MAG can chart. ME2 too.

Shame on you 360 owners for not buying Bayonetta.

Didn't think MAG had at much of a chance with low reviews, $60 for MP only.

Big big drop for Army of Two. And just ouch for PSP.

I mean compared to last game. Last time the PS3 version did 226k.

I was expecting better numbers for ME2. And MAG looks like it flopped.

I've said it before. MAG is not going to do much better than SOCOM did, and probably a good deal worse than the PS2 games. At best it'll have longer legs than most titles, but I bet that instead we'll see a very dedicated core group playing for a while. Sony can't possibly be so stupid* as to think it'd burst out of the gate with huge numbers.

Then both came out towards the end of Jan, so lets just see if MAG can chart. ME2 too.
I'd bet more on ME2, though it's SP.

* Yes, I know they can.

MAG number should be low given its unfriendly stance to newbies. That's probably why Zipper mentioned in their blog that they see it as a platform.

As a game, I think it'd do fine against new and old shooter titles -- unless they are outclassed in every area. I waited for 2 full years to get a shooter as good as this (like RFOM !). However, first and foremost, they have to address the difficult startup experience.

The core mechanics is very addictive once new players get over the initial hump.

EDIT:

obonicus said:
At best it'll have longer legs than most titles, but I bet that instead we'll see a very dedicated core group playing for a while.

Exactly. :cool:

Hopefully, Zipper continues to improve it. We'll be able to rope our friends in. $60 for MP only game ? Let's see if Sony is willing to give way.

ps2 thats gotta be the lowest ever but quite a margin I think
terrible psp numbers as well
NPDjanA.png

NPDjanB.png

NPDjanC.png

Well, it is low to me, considering the actual gameplay. The low score is due to a bad startup/jumpstart experience. The actual game plays much better than that. ^_^ It's worth a higher score.

I think developers should not forget about support systems around the game. In KZ2, people are still playing it enthusiastically today, but the lack of a proper party system turned off many users. IMHO, the core MAG gameplay is fantastic, but the lack of clear beginner structure hurt the initial jumpstart experience badly.

EDIT: Anyway, xbd and a few others already called out the poor MAG marketing before its launch. One funny advertisement out of the blue is not going to cut it. The game probably sold based on Zipper's reputation initially. I am quite certain the beta didn't help selling.

:LOL: Damn you.

I was going to add that I hope Zipper doesn't switch to a different gameplay like the RFOM -> R2 transition. Stick to the current platform and axe the bad parts away (or rather add more beginner structure, and more theaters). It's a diamond.

I don't think that gameplay can be easily replicated.

I saw a very interesting graph a couple days ago, which I can't find for the life of me now, that showed that, excluding the Modern Warfare 2 phenomenon (which heavily skews the numbers), the average 3rd party title on Wii sells right around if not slightly more than the average 3rd party game on 360 or PS3. So while we see more million-selling blockbusters on the HD Twins, what we're not seeing apparently is how many titles fail.

Back