WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-09 1.79M
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 1.63M
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* PS3 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 1.12M
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-07 1.01M
MARIO KART W/ WHEEL WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-08 936.1K
ASSASSIN'S CREED II 360 UBISOFT Nov-09 783.1K
LEFT 4 DEAD 2 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Nov-09 728.5K
MARIO & LUIGI: BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY NDS NINTENDO OF AMERICA Sep-09 656.7K

HOLY SHIT! at the Wii numbers. PS3 and 360 close but really, talk about getting smoked. All it took was SMB. What a beatdown. That is ridiculous.

Good for AC2 and L4D2. L4D2 having quite good legs. Still can't be belive the Wii numbers.

Surprised at seeing Mario & Luigi in Top 10. I never expected such great legs for a RPG, even with Mario in the name.;)

Incredible numbers for Nintendo. Did they just break the record for best single-month performance for any system ever, twice (both Wii and DS)?

Also, graphs:
2wgfa8j.png

30kdi05.png

Huge numbers that... aren't really surprising. And don't seem like they'll change a thing. I'd love to see a top 10 by system this month (and by year, but fat chance of that).

NPDdecAA.png

NPDdecA.png

NPDdecB.png

NPDdecC.png

wii numbers were actually lower than I thought (I picked ~4million)
I also thought the xbox360 would be higher than the ps3 since this is christmas + the xbox360 being cheaper.
Next month will be more interesting as it will show better the likely trend for the coming year
Im picking wii->ps3->xbox360

the third chart shows the % change year on year (though doesnt take into account 4vs5 weeks, just month vs month)

Last edited by a moderator:
PS3 had bundles-a-million going on plus the redesign plus great games for the year, so I honestly expected it would beat 360 for December. 360 though had the price going for it and several of its own bundles here and there - frankly I think it did very well for Dec.

Wii, well, the New Super Mario Bros is enough to make me want to by one myself. ;) But I'll wait for the system to go to $150 or lower... I'm in no extreme rush. For others though, the $200 price and the uber-nostalgia factor... I could see a lot of parents getting off the wall and grabbing one. I bought a Wii Fit Plus game for someone though, so I know I contributed to one of those sales at least.

Very good holiday season for all three systems and their respective install bases. For the industry and developers it must be something of a sigh of relief.

YoYs;

X360 4,735,400
PS3 3,544,900
Wii 10,151,000

X360 4770700
PS3 4325000
Wii 9584000

PS3 gets a nice jump. 360 remains stable and the Wii's dec domination almost helps them recover from the YoY dip.

Careful predicting for the entire year, though. The 360 gets a Halo game this year. Plus whatever Natal'd do.
I actually expected the 360 to outsell the PS3 this month considering the November numbers and that there were some shortages of the 120GB PS3.

Curious what Uncharted 2 did.

:oops: At the Wii numbers.

The 360 gets a Halo game this year. Plus whatever Natal'd do.

Yeah, and with a probable price cut they're gonna be firing on all cylinders... but PS3 gets GT5, even if it usually sells better in Europe, might be able to move some systems in the US as well.

GoW III may be a system mover in North America, especially if there's a bundle. And even though FFXIII isn't an exclusive anymore, I'm thinking it might have more of an effect on the PS3 as far as hardware sales.

Back