NPD December 2007

Impressive, really.
That (if true) is a hint that MS sales could have completely tanked in Europe.

I'm waiting for more info

If GTA is indeed coming end of 2008 (as preorder boxes seem to suggest at least for Europe).
In the last interview I read, they seemed pretty confident to hit a release in March, but I guess plans can change. Is GTA4 supposed to be a simultaneous world wide release?

Concerning the Sony 1.2 million European sales number, it doesn´t say if it is sold to consumers or retail. The only sure conclusion I can make from it is that the PS3 is not doing worse in Europe than in the NA.

In the last interview I read, they seemed pretty confident to hit a release in March, but I guess plans can change. Is GTA4 supposed to be a simultaneous world wide release?

Concerning the Sony 1.2 million European sales number, it doesn´t say if it is sold to consumers or retail. The only sure conclusion I can make from it is that the PS3 is not doing worse in Europe than in the NA.
Worth noting that Sony included the last week of November in those sales figures. Quite coincidentally, I believe I'm correct that the last week in November was the 1st week following the European price drop.

I was actually expect a price cut to $329-$349 or so in March, but $299 in January would be incredibly aggressive. There are a couple of ways to reduce costs further that I can think of:
- 65nm RSX.
- Integrating a cheaper southbridge into RSX.
- Reducing the cost/size of the motherboard & casing.
- Further reduce the cost of the power supply & cooling.
- Get rid of WiFi, which should still save >=$10 at this point.

Assuming they would be able to break-even on $400 PS3s without these changes in February, then they'd still make a loss at $300 with them. But it might not be that huge, and could be worth the investment in the long-term. Furthermore, with a bit of luck, they might barely lose money per-unit at that price by the holidays and they'd get tremendous momentum from it...

Worth noting that Sony included the last week of November in those sales figures. Quite coincidentally, I believe I'm correct that the last week in November was the 1st week following the European price drop.
No, the price was dropped in Europe in mid-October.

That isn't extremely lopsided.. Wii and PS3 are at just over 12 million combined in the US, 360 is at 11 million. Slightly lopsided would be more accurate.

You'd be right about your hair-splitting, except the 360 is selling much more 3rd party software than the other 2 combined.

Impressive, really.
That (if true) is a hint that MS sales could have completely tanked in Europe.
High PS3 sales don't require low XB360 sales.

And I like this quote -

Sony Corp., the world's largest video-game console maker

Make the biggest box machine and you too can have that impressive tagline!

High PS3 sales don't require low XB360 sales.

And I like this quote -

Sony Corp., the world's largest video-game console maker

Make the biggest box machine and you too can have that impressive tagline!

I know that High PS3 sales don't require low XB360 sales.
But Europe is a finite market and the Wii take it's share so this give a hint anyway.

Anyway this number are shipped, so it could be Sloy overshipping ala MS to reach their goals.
So far they likely to be pretty far from their goals even with this huge shipment.

But Europe is a finite market and the Wii take it's share so this give a hint anyway.

Finite but not exclusive..

As i've stated many times on these boards & I think a few people probably agree, Wii doesn't take any "share" away from the PS360 market since many Wii owners would be much more likely to retain interest in buying a 360 or PS3 (if they don't already have one..) than 360 owners looking to buy a PS3 for example..

Finite but not exclusive..

As i've stated many times on these boards & I think a few people probably agree, Wii doesn't take any "share" away from the PS360 market since many Wii owners would be much more likely to retain interest in buying a 360 or PS3 (if they don't already have one..) than 360 owners looking to buy a PS3 for example..
I agree with this also I feel that many of the Wii base would have never bought a console before the Wii came along. Many of them are likely new comers who at most played solitaire on their computers and people who were primarily handheld gamers, people that Sony and Microsoft couldn't attract this generation with what they currently have out on the market.

I'm not saying that all Wii owners are what I describe above but I think when all is said and done Nintendo will really be the only company that expanded the market while the other two fight over the user-base of the Gamecube, Xbox, and PS2.

The Wii is selling to many PS2 users as well, and in that way it is taking away market from the PS3. Those people would only buy the 360/PS3 at about $200, some years later - if there wouldn't be a cheaper and radically new alternative right now.

Still, by that logic you could never have (roughly speaking) 1 million PS3s sold, 1 million PSPs sold, 1 million PS2s sold, 1 million 360s sold, 1 million Wiis sold, and 2 million DS sold, and that in both the US and Europe, probably (I'm averaging everything out a little - PS3 sold a bit less in US, bit more probably in Europe - figures from SCEE just released state 1.2 million PS3 for December in Europe for instance).

I'm still thinking the game console market is growing a lot, in both regions.

The Wii is selling to many PS2 users as well, and in that way it is taking away market from the PS3.
You mean "taking away market from the PS2"? Judging from the current sales, PS2's life expectancy is well beyond 2009.

There are always a lot of absolutist statements about the Wii demographics. The truth is that Wii fans come from many walks of life and gaming habits. Lots of hardcore Nintendo fans and lots of casual Wii Sports people and interesting things in between. It's difficult to figure out the exact breakdown.

Back