Hardware Unit Sales

PlayStation 3 185.4K
PlayStation Portable 253.0K
Playstation 2 144.1K
Xbox 360 195.2K
Wii 453.0K
Nintendo DS 518.3K

Top 10 SKU's August 2008
(includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)
Publisher Release Date Rank # Units

360 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 1 1.0mm
PS3 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 2 643K
PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 3 424.5K
WII WII FIT NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-08 4 394.9K
WII MARIO KART NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-08 5 328.7K
WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-07 6 200.2K
360 SOUL CALIBUR IV NAMCO BANDAI GAMES OF AMERICA Jul-08 7 174K
360 TOO HUMAN MICROSOFT Aug-08 8 168.2K
WII MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-08 9 115.8K
NDS GUITAR HERO: ON TOUR ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Jun-08 10 111.2K

Close 360 and PS3 numbers. I'm surprised at the 360 numbers being high seeing how well known the price drop was. Good Madden software numbers.

Sad for Too Human. I'm very much enjoying the game but I don't see a sequel happening....Is that the 2nd month for SC4?

Eh, Too Human sold in the region of Ninja Gaiden 2 in its first month... nothing to sneeze at given its generally poor reviews. I am surprised SC4 continued to sell on 360, though.

360 numbers are another example of MS's incompetence, though, leaking a price drop a month in advance. At least next month they should see some benefits of the drop that should have happened 8 months ago. I'm constantly surprised by how little common sense MS seems to be applying to its pricing and hardware this gen.

Edit: oh and Nintendomination, etc., not really worth a comment anymore :p

Eh, Too Human sold in the region of Ninja Gaiden 2 in its first month... nothing to sneeze at given it's generally poor reviews. I am surprised SC4 continued to sell on 360, though.

360 numbers are another example of MS's incompetence, though, leaking a price drop a month in advance. At least next month they should see some benefits of the drop that should have happened 8 months ago. I'm constantly surprised by how little common sense MS seems to be applying to its pricing and hardware this gen.

Microsoft didn't leak anything, the circulars did.

Microsoft didn't leak anything, the circulars did.
You know what I mean though... MS cannot keep a secret, whereas every PS3 price drop/value increase has been relatively low key so as not to negatively impact sales.

Edit: or as a wise man once said... "there are no Microsoft rumours. There are only Microsoft leaks".

Pretty suprised as most analyst had PS3>X360 sales for August.

The X360 motion controlled and BluRay player were 2 rumors that come to mind that have not come to fruition.

I'm hoping Too Human has good enough sales to warrant a sequel. Also, I thought that Madden PS3 would've sold closer to X360. It's rougly 64% of the 360 sales.

You know what I mean though... MS cannot keep a secret, whereas every PS3 price drop/value increase has been relatively low key so as not to negatively impact sales.

Edit: or as a wise man once said... "there are no Microsoft rumours. There are only Microsoft leaks".

Even then, with people being aware of a price drop, this has to bode well for Microsoft considering they sold more 360s than PS3s. Microsoft is going to be in great shape going into the end of the year.

hopefully the spin this month is gonna be better than what its been the last couple of months
NPDaugA.png

NPDaugB.png

NPDaugC.png

NPDaugD.png

fifth straight drop in wii sales, hmm is my prediction coming true?

Anybody seen NPD (software) top-20 for July?

360 numbers are another example of MS's incompetence, though, leaking a price drop a month in advance.

I doubt it had any significant effect at all.
Are you saying this because numbers are low for August?

BTW, was this a 5-week NPD?

That's not strictly true. Microsoft rumors are more along the lines of 'MS is going to give $200 to every XBL account-holder!' :D

And, ouch at Madden Wii. Let's see how it goes for Guitar Hero 4/RB2. I suspect CoD5 will pull a repeat of Madden.

No. Next month will be a 5 week period. I certainly think sales would have been high had the price drop not been common knowledge. How much? Impossible to say.

There was the news of the new 80GB PS3 at the same price as 40GB that could have impacted the PS3 sales to.
Not sure what people kept saying about 40GB being in stock or not through the month.

LTD
Wii- 11,860.000
360- 10,895.000
PS3- 5,262.000

YTD
Wii- 4,491.000
PS3- 2,019.000
360- 1,741.000

NA of course. The 360 trails the PS3 by 278ks YTD. I'll say MS has a good chance to recover all that and outsell the PS3 before year end. So I guess the question remains if Sony is going to retaliate with a 50$ price drop or run the current price through the holiday.

I'm hoping Too Human has good enough sales to warrant a sequel. Also, I thought that Madden PS3 would've sold closer to X360. It's rougly 64% of the 360 sales.

So what should it have been?

I don't think anything sticks out for the hardware. Most people don't follow rumors of price drops, so I doubt it had a measurable effect. The PS3 had a supply gap between the 40GB and 80GB, but it's probably a small impact.

10k difference is in the noise and most likely within the margin of error for NPD.

The 360 should have a spike next month for sure, shall we set expectations at 400k? ;)

So what should it have been?

I don't think anything sticks out for the hardware. Most people don't follow rumors of price drops, so I doubt it had a measurable effect. The PS3 had a supply gap between the 40GB and 80GB, but it's probably a small impact.

10k difference is in the noise and most likely within the margin of error for NPD.

The 360 should have a spike next month for sure, shall we set expectations at 400k? ;)

RE: Madden 09, based on friends with PS3s and the fact that it was closer/equal in performance to the 360, I'd of tought mid 70's to low 80's of 360 sales. That's just based on anecdotal evidence though.

I'm guessing X360 numbers will be around 300K, maybe even mid 300K. I expect the PS3 to be at least around the 250K range, maybe higher

Back