NPD August 2008

You know what I mean though... MS cannot keep a secret, whereas every PS3 price drop/value increase has been relatively low key so as not to negatively impact sales.

Edit: or as a wise man once said... "there are no Microsoft rumours. There are only Microsoft leaks".

FF13 360 came out of left field though :LOL:

You know what I mean though... MS cannot keep a secret, whereas every PS3 price drop/value increase has been relatively low key so as not to negatively impact sales.

Edit: or as a wise man once said... "there are no Microsoft rumours. There are only Microsoft leaks".

In the end though, will it really matter whether or not people knew about a price drop a few weeks early or not? Or if the early sales from that price drop were represented in the August or September NPDs?

I agree with you in terms of leaks vs its affect but in the end I dont think MS really cares one way or the other, and I dont think they should either.

I'm guessing X360 numbers will be around 300K, maybe even mid 300K. I expect the PS3 to be at least around the 250K range, maybe higher

The 360 should have a spike next month for sure, shall we set expectations at 400k?

Quick math: 360 Aug ~200k, ~50k/week. MS PR=double sales first weekend. Assume 100k. Sep=5 weeks, 5X100k=500k. Now add in that price drop effects are frontloaded, and last week before drop sales are likely lower, and I think 400k September 360 is a good guess. Which will be 100+k less than the Halo 3 fueled Sept 07.

LTD
Wii- 11,860.000
360- 10,895.000
PS3- 5,262.000

What does this tell you? That if combine 360+PS3, HD are beating the Wii.

So I guess the question remains if Sony is going to retaliate with a 50$ price drop or run the current price through the holiday.

They will not drop price this year. They have stressed this over and over. I think 399 is a fair price for the PS3 and they will take their huge sales gains over last year and focus on profitability.

There was the news of the new 80GB PS3 at the same price as 40GB that could have impacted the PS3 sales to.
Not sure what people kept saying about 40GB being in stock or not through the month.

There were some shortages imo..I checked Best Buy.com and they were out of stock at times, and 80GB had not arrived yet. I imagine it kept the PS3 from topping 360, but I doubt it had a huge impact, but that's just my opinon, not based on much besides feel, it's possible it had a bigger impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there was any big surprises this month. I'd have liked to see too human do better but given the reviews that's respectable.

Barring a Sony price cut I expect the 360 to outsell the PS3 for the rest of the year and probably in total 2008 sales. The $199 arcade with christmas deals should do alright.

They will not drop price this year. They have stressed this over and over. I think 399 is a fair price for the PS3 and they will take their huge sales gains over last year and focus on profitability.

It's true that they've said it over and over, and it probably doesn't make sense to cut prices. But on the other hand, and I realize that my tin-foil hat is on, but that's exactly what they'd say even if they were going to cut prices. Saying that 'yes, we're going to cut prices' would only hurt them. It's unlikely, though plausible, that they want to ride as many sales at the current price as they can now, during the slow months and then cut prices for the holidays. (Note: I don't really believe they would.)

There were some shortages imo..I checked Best Buy.com and they were out of stock at times, and 80GB had not arrived yet. I imagine it kept the PS3 from topping 360, but I doubt it had a huge impact, but that's just my opinon, not based on much besides feel, it's possible it had a bigger impact.

Well, there wasn't a huge difference. 10k this way, 20k that way, it might've made the difference, but only forum warriors really would have cared enough to make a big deal out of it.

Sony is not cutting the price because of Samsung, Pioneer and all the other OEMs. You can't have all these other companies invest with you in this technology then poop on them by dropping the price. That is a bad way to do business.

take away the MGS4 bundle month and the machines are only ~12.8k per month apart each month all year average.

Which is sorta the point, though. Sony's lead in YTD mainly has to do with the MGS month. Otherwise it's mostly a tie, with the gaming press making a lot of noise over small differences, otherwise they'd have nothing to report.

take away the MGS4 bundle month and the machines are only ~12.8k per month apart each month all year average.

Why would you take away that month?

Sony is not cutting the price because of Samsung, Pioneer and all the other OEMs. You can't have all these other companies invest with you in this technology then poop on them by dropping the price. That is a bad way to do business.

Because everyone that wants a Blu-Ray player will buy a PS3?
You can buy a Sony standalone Bluray player for 229,-

Why would you take away that month?

I think he is trying to say that the monthly diffrences are so small that only one month so far has mattered and thats the MGS4 month. However its just one month and another month equaly as good for MS would shift it back to a virtual tie. Two months equaly good would put ms on top for the year. Its such a small diffrence monthly that its relaly not news.

Bluray players will only go down in price even more. However the sony stand alones at $230 are only profile 1.0 or 1.1 they don't play all the features of the disc and some discs take forever to load up.

Which is sorta the point, though. Sony's lead in YTD mainly has to do with the MGS month. Otherwise it's mostly a tie, with the gaming press making a lot of noise over small differences, otherwise they'd have nothing to report.

exactly. that was my point too

everyone I've spoken to in the past year that has considered buying a Blu Ray player said they would be an idiot not to get a PS3 for their hidef movies seeing how "it plays games too".

exactly. that was my point too

everyone I've spoken to in the past year that has considered buying a Blu Ray player said they would be an idiot not to get a PS3 for their hidef movies seeing how "it plays games too".

Of course they would be stupid(?). But how does that relate to "no price drops because our partners will be crying" ? when players are already cheaper...

Of course they would be stupid(?). But how does that relate to "no price drops because our partners will be crying" ? when players are already cheaper...

The only non close out player i know of cheaper than the ps3 is the best buy house brand insignia . Otherwise to find a name brand bluray player your looking at $400 and to find the newst profile players your looking at at least $600 from what i can tell (funny that they aren't forth coming with what profiles these player support at bestbuy.com)

The only non close out player i know of cheaper than the ps3 is the best buy house brand insignia . Otherwise to find a name brand bluray player your looking at $400 and to find the newst profile players your looking at at least $600 from what i can tell (funny that they aren't forth coming with what profiles these player support at bestbuy.com)

$400 sounds like a bad deal :)

I just went to amazon and looked up Blu-Ray players the cheapest as far as i could see was 229 dollars for a Sony, Samsun had one for $278. Even here in Denmark the Electronic retailers are selling some Blu-Ray players cheaper than the PS3.

yeah, standalone players are definitely coming down in price. despite what Sony said, i won't be surprised if we saw a little price drop before the holidays.

I think that's part of the equation, the other part is that sony may still lose some money on the ps3 and have already lost quiet some money.
Now losing more while BRD won as a standard is in executives/shareholders 's hands.
anyway, the PS3 is set to fare well, and US in not the strongest Sony territory ;)

I think he is trying to say that the monthly diffrences are so small that only one month so far has mattered and thats the MGS4 month. However its just one month and another month equaly as good for MS would shift it back to a virtual tie. Two months equaly good would put ms on top for the year. Its such a small diffrence monthly that its relaly not news.

Bluray players will only go down in price even more. However the sony stand alones at $230 are only profile 1.0 or 1.1 they don't play all the features of the disc and some discs take forever to load up.

My point is that it´s stupid to take away good months, those PS3´s crossed a counter and came into the hands of a consumer, just like any other packaged deal it counts.

I am perfectly aware that the cheap bluray players doesn´t compare to the PS3. There isn´t any player that does :)

But i find the argument for "not lowering the prices because of OEM partners" far fetched. It didn´t stop them from introducing the PS3 way below anything else on the market. I am pretty certain they are pleased with the format victory thanks to the PS3 and wouldn´t mind even more marketshare.

I think the overarching point wasn't that the PS3's "blip" didn't exist, but more that it was a data oddity, rather than a trend. 2008 has been pretty much exactly the same between the two systems with the exception of that single month. The funny thing is that perception seems to be that the 360 is struggling this year, when all reports indicate it's about to steamroll to great sales for the last 1/3 of the year. The same perception is that the PS3 is now a sales success at the 360's expense... for instance, you discussed in detail last month that you felt the PS3's "momentum" was continuing while in the same two-sentence paragraph quoting a <10% sales gap.

I believe the point that was being made is that 2008 is actually pretty dull sales-wise, with the battle for 2nd place being roughly the same scenario as last gen in terms of competition, while first place chuckles away, growing the lead every month by a large margin.

The PS3 is US$100+ more expensive and still sell at similar level than a more mature platform in its strongest market. It's actually doing pretty well.

Games like MGS4, LBP will continue to stack up the value. What Sony needs to do is to consolidate and communicate its values. If they want to keep up with the sales of the new price point, then they may need to have more aggressive promotion deals during the holiday season. That is all.

Back