Nook Color on Android CM7

Sounds like you are using the latest stable version. The nightly's since 147 or something have Dalingren's kernel included. I'm using 150/151 (forgot which) for a while now, and have it set at 1200. I might try one of the newer nightly's soon.

Sounds like you are using the latest stable version. The nightly's since 147 or something have Dalingren's kernel included. I'm using 150/151 (forgot which) for a while now, and have it set at 1200. I might try one of the newer nightly's soon.

Yeah, I have the latest stable release.

Is the speed up worth it on your release? I didn't get the nightly or RC releases as I was little worried about instability.

I find that I the apps I utilize are very smooth with my current set-up while still getting fairly decent battery life. BTW, thanks for those app suggestions.

I'm hoping they will release a new stable release as the last one was released in May. I've read on a few forums that it may be potentially able to run the next Android OS. I've seen a few vids of folks running Honeycomb on it, although a bit buggy because the source code hasn't been released.

You should run a nightly because there are a ton of improvements. It's a newer version of Gingerbread with many other CM fixes on top of that like much faster boot time. The newer kernel has working deep sleep for when the screen is off (hugely saves battery), a much improved wifi driver, better video support, improved CPU governors, and can clock up to 1200 MHz. The various Nook Color 1.3 source drops have been integrated as well.

The only disadvantage over the stable version is that N64oid v2+ doesn't work. For some reason it is incompatible with the .32 kernel. But I've been running nightly versions for months and that is the only possible reason I would go back the "stable" builds with all of their deficiencies.

You should run a nightly because there are a ton of improvements. It's a newer version of Gingerbread with many other CM fixes on top of that like much faster boot time. The newer kernel has working deep sleep for when the screen is off (hugely saves battery), a much improved wifi driver, better video support, improved CPU governors, and can clock up to 1200 MHz. The various Nook Color 1.3 source drops have been integrated as well.

The only disadvantage over the stable version is that N64oid v2+ doesn't work. For some reason it is incompatible with the .32 kernel. But I've been running nightly versions for months and that is the only possible reason I would go back the "stable" builds with all of their deficiencies.

Thanks,

I will have to research how to install the nighty after I back up everything. Should I just go with the latest or would do you have a suggestion?

I haven't installed any emulators, so no loss for me with N64oid v2.

SNESoid is a guy selling an SNES9x port...
https://slideme.org/user/yongzh
Most of them are free now but yeah he's making a buck mostly off of open source projects. As long as he obeys the licenses then there is no problem. He does have to put work into controls, device compatibility, etc. He has been working pretty hard on fixes for the N64 emulator in particular but that's no surprise considering N64 emulation is awful in general....

I will have to research how to install the nighty after I back up everything. Should I just go with the latest or would do you have a suggestion?

You should just grab the latest. Of course it's possible that one release could have problems but I haven't run into any in my time using the nightlies. I suppose you could say the are all buggy because they are always fixing things, but there is more fixed here than with those old stable releases.

http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=encore

You should just grab the latest. Of course it's possible that one release could have problems but I haven't run into any in my time using the nightlies. I suppose you could say the are all buggy because they are always fixing things, but there is more fixed here than with those old stable releases.

http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=encore

I updated it last night before I read your post to encore nightly 207. I have it overclocked to 1200 MHZ with the governor on "conservative".

I used this site http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/nook-color but I like that it actually has what was added on the site you linked (now bookmarked).

I noticed an immediate difference in the difference in sleep battery performance. I haven't played with it up much since, but will be on the road with it for the next 10 days.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

I just tried nightly 223 on my NC and I was getting DSP manager force close on boot. So I rolled back to 219 and it doesn't seem to have that issue. Don't know if it's isolated to some setting on my NC.

What are the chances this thing goes down in price when Kindle Fire goes out? I really want to buy this, but I'm hoping for a price drop.

finally in standby doesn't consumealmost nothing, you can put away and start it in less than a second

however i'm having definitive problems with some apps :(

What are the chances this thing goes down in price when Kindle Fire goes out? I really want to buy this, but I'm hoping for a price drop.
You can already get refurbs for $140-150 and they seem to be like new. I bought one myself and it was packaged like a new one and I couldn't tell that it had ever been used.

I bought mine new at a B&N while I was on a trip in DC.
I was flip flopping between a Kindle and Nook as I was primarily looking for an e-reader.

I went with the Nook on a whim while I was there. Overall, I'm very happy with it although I wish I could have got it as cheap as you guys were able to.

Since fehu is having some problems with the latest stable release I will probably hold off on updating. I'm still on a nightly I installed 11 days ago.

The only thing I wish the Nook had was a camera and mic.

You can already get refurbs for $140-150 and they seem to be like new. I bought one myself and it was packaged like a new one and I couldn't tell that it had ever been used.

I'm waiting for it to be a bit lower... like $100. Since the international shipping cost is usually $40 (and the tax would be 17.5%). If I'm in the US then I would buy it without a doubt for $150.

I went with the Nook on a whim while I was there. Overall, I'm very happy with it although I wish I could have got it as cheap as you guys were able to.

Don't feel bad. I actually bought the refurb to replace my original $250 NC which I killed by getting some water in the LCD. It leaks in super easily down by the home button. Ironically I did this while trying to attach my first screen protector. Now that was a painful lesson.

Before I bought the replacement, I tried the Iconia A100. That was when I realized that the most important part of a tablet is the LCD quality. So I decided to get the NC again because it is cheap, a great size and has a fantastic IPS panel. The fact that it has a nice community is a plus too.

Back