Nook Color on Android CM7

Here's one I don't see here. The Nook Color running full android 2.3 Gingerbread, with CM7. They are about $180 for a refurb from Barnes and Noble (ebay). The screen is 7" and has a resolution of 1024x600. It's a decent IPS screen. I've been running one for a few weeks. It works fairly well and is incredibly portable.

Here's the guide that I followed. It's ridiculously easy to do, and there are even guides out there for people who want install into microSD and run it there to keep the Nook color stock. It can boot from microSD.

I'm o/c at 1200 MHz (stock is 800), and performance is adequate. I also have a Galaxy tab 10.1, it's not as smooth running as the Samsung, but then the Gtab isn't as portable. I usually just toss the NC in my car or backpack and leave the gtab 10.1 at home.

Running Opera mobile, browser is surprisingly smooth. With a little tweak of the font size, all websites are very readable in desktop format. And with my wifi tethering from my phone, I finally really feel always connected (never felt that with my phone, even when I had an iphone).

Btw, mine was a refurb from B&N and it looked perfect when I got it, not a scratch on it.

Anyway, here are some shots from my phone. The cover is a "Canvas Writer's cover" from Barnes and Noble:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Same as CPUs used to be :)
Celeron 533-->800 easy peasy.

I got a Pentium Dual-Core 2160 back in 2008, and in two steps(Up FSB speed and set memory dividers) OCed it from 1.8 GHZ to 3 GHZ. Still using it.

When you're getting somewhere around a 60% OC that damn easy, I'd say they still are in some ways... Yes, I know things have changed, but a lot of people get easy OCs still.

I'm running CM7 on a NC. It's decent but the software developer support is of course weak with a niche device like this. You have to deal with workarounds and hacks. The kernel and OS are improving every day though thanks to B&N kernel source and hard working volunteers.

Make no mistake though - a Cortex A8 at even 1.3 ghz is not as exciting as it may sound. I'm ready for A15 and a Android OS with more GUI acceleration.

i have a CM7 too, but that in the pictures looks more like Android 3.x
how have you modded it?

good!
and you have resolved the blutooth instability too?
are you using plain CM7 or the nightly?

Can you wifi tether a stock Nook Color via your phone? I've been thinking about getting one, and WiFi tethering to get internet would be sweet. I have a Windows Phone 7 phone.

Only had it stock for less than an hour before I put CM7 on it. But if I remember correctly, it connected to my wifi router fresh out of the box to register the device, so it should connect to any phone that can act as a wifi hotspot.

About bluetooth stability, I have not used the bluetooth. Only heard that it has a very poor range, so maybe that's where that instability comes from. And I'm on nightly 151, it's been pretty stable so I have not consider upgrading to the newer ones.

there's around a dual core 8" 8GB HC 3.2 for 299$, nook is nice but i'd like to be able to see youtube without frame drop...

anyway, there's any hint about the release of the CM7.1?

Youtube works fine if you use the app because it's DSP accelerated. In a browser it chops because Adobe Flash is still using CPU rendering. On the topic of video, Netflix has DSP acceleration too.

I don't know what the status of a final 7.1 is. There has been a code freeze of sorts due to a recent hack into the Linux source apparently. No nightlies for weeks.

I'm going to buy the first 7" Android 3/4 tablet that has an IPS screen and decent battery life. I recently tried the Iconia A100 and returned it because I'd rather have slow and IPS than fast and TN for ~$350. Yuck. I have to say that it was very fast though. For example, whereas Pilotwings 64 is unplayable on Cortex A8+PowerVR 53x regardless of overclock, Tegra2 ran it full speed. Honeycomb GUI acceleration was excellent as well. It's bullshit that Google won't open source that OS.

Honeycomb GUI acceleration was excellent as well. It's bullshit that Google won't open source that OS.

Not sure, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the source for Ice Cream Sandwich will be open sourced when it is released during the next month or two? Wait a minute. Quick search reveals the following link:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/10/android_ice_cream_sandwich/

If true, this should resolve the lack of Honeycomb source code. Of course, that doesn't help people with older Android tablets who have been stuck with Gingerbread or even Froyo in the interim.

The 3.x era has been a curious one. I read that Google will never open it up because they do not want it to ever be on a phone because its phone functionality is very limited and poor. So supposedly this is them saving face and not evil business strategy. It seems to me that they fast-tracked 3.0 to match up to Ipad.

4.0 is supposed to have phone features and honeycomb's tablet enhancements. I'm just hoping the browser is as nice as honeycomb's because the 2.x browser is very slow due to no hardware acceleration AFAIK.

I just got mine about a week ago and have CM7 (stable version) installed the night I got it. I bought it new at Barnes and Noble and so far I am very happy with it.

I had a short bit of buyers remorse at the announcement of the Kindle Fire, but the lack of microSD card in the Fire has eased that a bunch.

I'll have to check out that Android Pro widget as it looks really cool. I bought it primarily as an e-reader/portable browser, so getting a cheap android tablet out of it has been a huge bonus. I use an app called UPNP Play to stream movies and music from my home network and have been very impressed as it is able to stream 720P encoded vids fairly smoothly. I wish that the battery life was better, otherwise it's been great.

For those that have it, what other apps would you recommend?

EZpdf, Perfect Viewer, FBReader, Dolphin HD, Opera Mobile, PowerAMP, Ghost File Manager, Nook Tweaks and Nook Odds n Ends, Netflix, SNESoid. ;)

Aldiko reader is pretty good, reads most formats including pdf's. I think I read somewhere that Opera mobile is the only browser with hardware acceleration. It feels that way as it's the smoothest.

TuneIn radio, gets all your local radio stations and more. Splashtop, streams and works as remote desktop. IPcam viewer if you have a IP camera.

And ES File explorer, for wifi file transfer.

Thanks.

I have many of the apps you listed, but they are 3-4 that I don't have. I will check them out.
BTW, what do you have your CPU clocked at.

Mine is:
min: 300
max: 925
governor: on demand

Are these optimal?
I can't set it faster than 925 because I don't have Dalingren's newest kernel (what Nook Tweaks is reporting).

Back