Nintendo Switch Tech Speculation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different people see different things. I see this as a fan-freaking-tastic deal. It's the only home console that interests me, as I can also take it on the go. Considering the 3DS is the only console I've used in over 1.5 years, this is fantastic. Especially as I've wished multiple times that I could hook my 3DS up to my TV. I get neck cramps from extended play looking down at a handheld. When at home, it'll be invaluable being able to just connect it to my TV.

Regards,
SB

Well i did say if you want it as a home console only. you also need need to get a pro controller and sd card, to have a descent controller with the console. you're looking at 400$, you can get a NEW ps4 for 235$ right now on ebay with uncharted 4.

Last edited:
from the kotaku switch review.

"Breath of the Wild
looks and performs noticeably worse when plugged into the dock than it does in handheld mode, a potentially worrying indicator of how the Switch’s graphics processing hardware will hold up over time. When I play on the TV, I notice frequent dips below the game’s 30fps frame rate, sometimes to the point that it’s genuinely distracting and makes it harder to play. Any time I’m running in tree-shade on a sunny day in Hyrule, zooming in for a closer view, or moving quickly through the rain, it feels like things drop into at least the 20-25fps zone."

this really sucks.

Battery life is a more pressing issue. For perspective, while docked the Switch demands 7.5 watts on the main menu, and 16 watts at peak during games. But even with its reduced GPU clocks in portable mode, keeping a lid on power consumption poses a challenge, and a built-in 4310mAh battery has to service it for at least 2.5 hours to meet Nintendo's claims. We used a watt meter to find an area of Switch gameplay that pushes docked power consumption to the limit, then decoupled the unit to run in mobile mode to judge consumption.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-nintendo-switch-review

what do you guys think about the max power draw of the switch?

"Breath of the Wild
looks and performs noticeably worse when plugged into the dock than it does in handheld mode, a potentially worrying indicator of how the Switch’s graphics processing hardware will hold up over time. When I play on the TV, I notice frequent dips below the game’s 30fps frame rate, sometimes to the point that it’s genuinely distracting and makes it harder to play. Any time I’m running in tree-shade on a sunny day in Hyrule, zooming in for a closer view, or moving quickly through the rain, it feels like things drop into at least the 20-25fps zone."

this really sucks.
That just sounds like Nintendo should have targeted a higher frame rate when they chose the graphics complexity for that configuration. Maybe they will patch it.

It's interesting to see how much hardware information we're getting about this thing. No secrets really. Not like the Wii U.

The battery life isn't super but I think it beats anything else I know of with this kind of processing capability while gaming. My Shield Tablet might be able to last 3 hours if I ran it in power save mode....

I wonder if they could have fitted a bigger battery though. On those internal shots it looks like a lot of space is taken up by padding. If there is nothing beneath that maybe we'll see 10.000mah aftermarket batteries appearing?

That just sounds like Nintendo should have targeted a higher frame rate when they chose the graphics complexity for that configuration. Maybe they will patch it.

what ever it is, nintendo needs to fix this asap. drop it to 720p if they have to.

what ever it is, nintendo needs to fix this asap. drop it to 720p if they have to.

It's only a port of a WiiU games, with different architecture. It's not cool, but I'm not surprised. Plus the hardware is crap power wise, so, they can't "bulldozer" the port, they need to tweak it good for running well. I guess they didn't have the time.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-nintendo-switch-review
what do you guys think about the max power draw of the switch?
Nintendo Switch is 16W (docked home console mode). Xbox One Slim is 50W. Both when playing demanding AAA games. With 3x+ lower power consumption, it's not possible that the docked Switch matches current gen consoles in pure performance. But it's hard to draw any decisive conclusions yet, as nobody has compared the systems running the same AAA cross platform games. Let's wait for Digital Foundry verdict.

On handheld mode Nintendo made the right choices. 3 hours of gaming is a good target. The clocks are adjusted to reach this goal. In comparison, top of the line tablets (iPad, Shield Tablet) have higher CPU & GPU clocks, but only provide 1h - 2h of play time when playing demanding games such as Modern Combat 5 and Asphalt 8.

Nintendo Switch is 16W (docked home console mode). Xbox One Slim is 50W. Both when playing demanding AAA games. With 3x+ lower power consumption, it's not possible that the docked Switch matches current gen consoles in pure performance. But it's hard to draw any decisive conclusions yet, as nobody has compared the systems running the same AAA cross platform games. Let's wait for Digital Foundry verdict.

On handheld mode Nintendo made the right choices. 3 hours of gaming is a good target. The clocks are adjusted to reach this goal. In comparison, top of the line tablets (iPad, Shield Tablet) have higher CPU & GPU clocks, but only provide 1h - 2h of play time when playing demanding games such as Modern Combat 5 and Asphalt 8.

Conclusions about what ?

I don't think there will be a lot of cross platform AAA games anyway... Too many technical sacrifice to make...

I agree with the portable thing, they did a great job about that. Honestly, I believe the reaction would have been a lot better if the console was presented as the 3DS successor. But, they can't admit that they give up on the home console market... (which they did, let's be honest).

They should just make a non-portable version that you just connect with your TV, a Pro controller and cut $100 off the price. Just like they stripped away the 3D functionality and launched the 2DS to get a bigger audience.

To quote Mr. Iwata back before his passing.

It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems. Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase.

So you can expect that we'll see many versions of the Switch. Probably a home console version in a year or two, as well as other revisions. One thing people need to realize is to upgrade the ENTIRE system, Nintendo simply needs to replace the tablet portion of the system with an upgraded one every few years. So you yank the old tablet out of the dock, plop the new tablet in and put in your mini-SD card into the new system and you're good to go. If it ever gets to the point where Tegra can't be upgraded anymore, it'll likely have a version so small by that point that adding it as extra hardware for BC wouldn't be a problem.

I honestly think Nintendo will try playing the long game with the Switch. It'll evolve and get better versions as mobile tech gets better and better. I also wouldn't be shocked if they started courting devs that have been exclusively on android/IOS to bring full versions of some of their games to the Switch. They got Puzzles & Dragons on 3DS, it wouldn't be crazy for them to push for the more impressive mobile games

"Breath of the Wild

this really sucks.

I hope the day 1 patch fixes this. IIRC, the press is still playing with an old version of the firmware, as well as an unpatched version of the game. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:

"Breath of the Wild

this really sucks.
Uh oh...

It's only a port of a WiiU games, with different architecture. It's not cool, but I'm not surprised. Plus the hardware is crap power wise, so, they can't "bulldozer" the port, they need to tweak it good for running well. I guess they didn't have the time.

At least, I can't imagine it runs worse than the Wii U version.

c'mon digital foundry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back