Nintendo Switch Tech Speculation discussion

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by ToTTenTranz, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lalaland

Regular

Right there with you, so my apologies if my post came off as aggressive :D

Interesting point but it does seem odd to invest so much engineering in this one narrow aspect. Surface has always been a 'halo' product for MS with it's existence largely a challenge to existing PC OEMs to stop always racing to the bottom and aim for the high end Apple style consumer. They have eaten a lot to produce a device that is exceptional on several levels, if Nintendo have invested heavily for this one super niche edge case I'd be pretty alarmed. I mean with all that engineering investment I'd have been happier to see them put it into the main SoC.
    Honestly this is why I love this thread even more than the Durango/Orbis ones, we not only have seemingly bizarre h/w rumors but actually mad business and design choices too!

2. Goodtwin

Veteran Newcomer Subscriber

I'm struggling to see how the clock speeds from the FoxConn leak mean A72 or A73? Couldn't they still be A57's manufactured on 16nm to get the power consumption down? The Switch seems to be packing a pretty hefty battery, and Nintendo says it can be sucked dry in 2.5 hours. Is there an equation that for figuring out what the power draw would have to be inorder to drain the battery in 2.5 hours?

3. CaffeinatedChris

Newcomer

That particular piece is like "Xbox One launch Don Mattrick" level stupid.

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of a smartphone, it's called Wii U."

BRiT, Shoujoboy and Goodtwin like this.
  4. Exophase

Veteran

I get what you and Syferz are saying here, I just don't think this means much of anything. I also don't think the power consumption from those two graphs is even that close, but it's not like this is some massive coincidence...

If Switch is using A72 and/or 16nm this should have been frozen for a long time, even if the silicon wasn't ready and they had to use an X1 as a lower fidelity approximation. This scenario brings into serious question why there'd ever be a 1GHz CPU specification, or why dev kits would be clocked that way. If Switch really does launch with games running the CPUs at 1.785GHz I would consider it more likely that the Eurogamer clock leaks were just wrong.

Goodtwin likes this.
  5. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Absolutely, the Switch battery is 4310 mAh and 3.7 volts. So that makes it a 16Wh battery. (Watts = Amps * Volts)

So you simply divide 16Wh by the number of hours to get the power draw.
    16Wh / 2.5h = 6.4W
    16Wh / 6h = 2.6W

That would be the power draw of everything in the device. I was guessing earlier about 2W for everything other than the SoC.

Max 4.4W SoC in portable mode?

Caveat: It depends how the capacity of the battery is calculated, The raw capacity must never go below 10% (or even 20%) or above 90% and the charging circuit prevents this from happening. Sometimes the manufacturers takes this into the specs, sometimes not. We only know what's printed on the battery. I don't know if there's a rule for this.

#1425 MrFox, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Lalaland, ToTTenTranz and Goodtwin like this.
  6. RaolinDarksbane

Newcomer

Has anyone mentioned what kind of panel they using for the 6.2 inch screen? The screen is the second most power hungry component next to the SoC in the Switch.

Goodtwin likes this.
  7. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I think it's known to be an IPS panel?
    That'd be pretty affordable. In a modern $99 smartphone, you can have a 5" 720p IPS panel (with everything else pretty low end)

8. RaolinDarksbane

Newcomer

I am a bit disappointed that they are still going with LCD since it has been reported almost a year ago that AMOLED production cost are lower than LCD.

9. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

Yeah I do not see any dGPU type HW being used for mobile gaming outside of laptops, and especially not in a handheld gaming product.
    To emphasise your point just look at the battery life of the Switch, really should had been a node shrink Tegra even if its performance was not much more as power demand would be better, anything to help that range of 2.5 to 6 hours.

Back to downclocking, not suggesting this is going to happen (IMO we would not see a 1060M or even 1050 in such designs) but it is interesting at base clocks (1508MHz) the 1060 GPU draws 60W while gaming.
    Even more amazing is the Tesla P4 that manages 75W with 5.5 FP32 TFLOPs. shame the figure was never given for 50W mode of operation.
    Anyway it is not really product margin viable to use much more powerful GPUs or HW and then downclock to seriously low levels unless there is no other option, especially in the context of a console.

Makes one wonder though if Nvidia/Nintendo will look to use Xavier some point end of next year from a console perspective in a similar way to the upgrade we see for Scorpio, appreciate will also come down to how flexible Xavier architecture is in comparison to Tegra.
    Cheers

10. Goodtwin

Veteran Newcomer Subscriber

Can we really extrapolate much from the idea that the SOC can consume north of 4 watts in portable mode? The A57 cores would only be consuming about 1.87watts at 1Ghz, and Maxwell cores would be well south of a watt at such low clocks.

11. Eteric

Newcomer

So does anyone else feel the REAL gimmick is going to be that every few years they'll release a better version of the Switch tablet for like $200 by itself so you can just upgrade your system every few years?

12. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

No. It will be at least $300 each and every time. And no HW BC with accessories.

13. shredenvain

Regular

If there really is a 2nd GPU in the docking station then why would LOZ breath of the wild only be running at 900p with no extra bells and whistles as far as GPU specific enhancements?

14. Pixel

Regular

Nintendo has officially announced this 1060 equipped dock is $89.99 US.

CaffeinatedChris likes this.
  15. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

I just don't know what to say anymore ...

16. Syferz

Newcomer

Lol not even close to a fact here.

17. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

There's no dGPU in the Switch or the announced dock.
    The Foxconn leaker who got the battery capacities right, should button names, weights, IOs in the dock, etc. just happened to mention there was a "more advanced devkit" besides the production models being tested. This "advanced devkit" had a second chip besides the main SoC with the same measurements as a GP106.

The only hypothesis being put on the table here is Nintendo releasing a "Super Dock" later down the line with a dGPU included. This would match both the claims from the Foxconn leaker and all the patents that Nintendo released about the "Supplementary Compute Device".

18. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

It'll be enabled in a later firmware update. Remember how MS played it with XBOne? They cunningly put in extra GPU power, let games use the basic specs, and then unleashed the full force a year after release to...um...er....can't remember, but I know on Good Authority that MS used this technique to great advantage and I'm sure Nintendo have carefully watched the rest of the industry and learnt how to pull this off. So docked LOZ next year after the patch is gonna look amaze-balls.

19. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

Yeah my point/context and post was it never happening for a device outside of laptop 'mobile' for the reasons I mention and to emphasise a previous poster's point in response to someone mulling over it may be possible, rather than what you raised that was pretty clear IMO.
    Cheers

20. bunnybug

Regular Newcomer

lol, it's getting crazy in here, having a dock with second gpu is the stupidest/ silliest thing i heard, sounds almost like fan fiction. what's the point when all games have to run in handheld mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.