Nintendo Switch Event 2017-01-12 and Switch Launch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A picture is worth 1000 words, in Nintendo's situation it's worth 1000 WTFs?

CA35DTN.jpg

lol you made my morning

So apparently....

The switch comes with the joy con grips. However these are not the grips that are sold on their own. These special pack in grips do not charge the controller. Only the ones you purchase on their own will charge the joy cons. So you need to have the controlelrs docked to the system to charge them out of the box

WTF Nintendo

Battery life / Charging

Joy con 20 hours 3.5 hours
Switch 2.5-6.5 3 hours
Pro 40 hours 6 hours

wow

Last edited:
you know how animals that are old or sick try to find a cave or something to die in, thats what the nintendo corporation reminds me of. a dying animal looking for a dark and dismal cave to perish in alone.

The more I think about it the more it seems like Nintendo is once again making compromises and increasing price for use cases that don't really matter.

I just don't see the mode where the thing sits on a table and a couple of people are huddled around with half a JoyCon as something that's going to gain a lot of traction. It's really compromised and not something that I think people would be that interested in doing in the first place. And to facilitate this mode you have to play Voltron with up to seven different pieces (Switch, 2x JoyCon, 2x JoyCon cap, JoyCon Grip, dock) and still not end up with a really good controller before shelling out for it.

Here's what I think would have ultimately been better, if much less effective as media bait:

$250 model with just a Switch handheld including built-in non-removable controls
$300 model with Switch, dock, and decent external controller (ie, what they're selling as the Pro)

Then they'd have at least slightly higher chances of getting sales from the crowd who wants the next 3DS and doesn't care about docking, and for the same price as they're currently selling for you'd get about the same practical uses without having to slot things on and off the unit and with the better controller. The fact that they're even selling the Pro controller is basically an admission that their controls are otherwise lacking. But there's no possible justification for charging $70, which is why I think a mere $50 delta for it and the dock is reasonable. This controller is super generic and offers nothing new whatsoever, it's barely different from the first XB1 controllers that are like 12 years old now. Since then wireless modules have only gone down in price and third party controllers like that can easily be found for $30 - and they're trying to make a profit. There's just no excuse for this, I bet the real reason Nintendo is selling it for so much is to try and make it look like a luxury product instead of something to bring the default controls up to a competitive baseline.

A while ago, I heard Nintendo was doing something they call qol, "quality of life" thing. Is that related to the switch? I think it was portrayed as the next step after "wearable".

For the switch itself, I expect it to sell a bit better than the WiiU. I imagine WiiU sales to be like the baseline contribution of Nintendo fans and then add some on top because there isn't another dedicated gaming handheld released for years. Can't add too much though, as the 3ds didn't sell well before dropping to USD200.

It takes more time to charge than you get battery life? Thats pretty sad.
Actually, the charging times indicate that the built in batteries might have very good longevity. It would be interesting to know exactly how they have set their battery charge/discharge parameters, but those numbers give me hope that you will still see good battery runtimes even in years.
Longer mobile playing sessions will require an external battery pack under any circumstances, so I can't really see the issue with Nintendo not pushing the limits in charging currents.

At least it has a proper name, unlike Wii U...
I think a big part of the problem is that we realize it's far from being on par with other desktop PC, so multiplatform titles are excluded, consequently we see the system as a handheld that can be plugged on TV, which makes its cost prohibitive, whereas Nintendo seems to consider it a home console that can be played on the go...
Huge disagreement here.

The more I think about it the more it seems like Nintendo is once again making compromises and increasing price for use cases that don't really matter.
All products are the result of compromises. Designing a product means picking the compromises that work for your intended market. You are obviously not Nintendo's intended market. This thing appeals to me given my gaming habits, it actually looks like Nintendo designed it just for me but I wouldn't have thought that people like me (middle-aged, lots of disposable income but very little free time, likes games but they have to fit in around my life) is a mass market. Maybe I am!

I just don't see the mode where the thing sits on a table and a couple of people are huddled around with half a JoyCon as something that's going to gain a lot of traction.

Travelling on trains, other transport or in the car? I reckon I could strap the screen to the back of a car seat for kids easily enough.

Then they'd have at least slightly higher chances of getting sales from the crowd who wants the next 3DS and doesn't care about docking, and for the same price as they're currently selling for you'd get about the same practical uses without having to slot things on and off the unit and with the better controller.

I think the dwindling sales of their mobile gaming devices is why Nintendo are taking a risk with Switch. It used to be when your saw a family out, the kids would almost always have a Nintendo mobile device to keep them occupied but sales of 3DS have nosedived compared to DS, probably becuase partents give their kids their old smart phone to game on. The hardware has already been paid for and the games are cheaper. Why buy a 3DS?

The fact that they're even selling the Pro controller is basically an admission that their controls are otherwise lacking.

By that measure, Microsoft selling the Elite controller is an admission the standard One controlled is lacking, which is nonsense. The Switch's controller combinations looks fine to me but I can see why allowing people to buy a controller more in the style of exiting controllers make business sense. Some people who want a controller in the same mould as their existing controller.

Giving people choice is now an admission of an existing product being lacking? :no:

Actually I'm impressed from all the videos I'm seeing about it. You don't really need amazing, realistic graphics for a game to be fun to play. I really like JRPGs and Nintendo portable consoles are the main home of those. However since I generally do not play on the go, I have never bought a DS or 3DS. The fact that the Nintendo Switch can be played on a TV is a big plus for me and I wonder if the fact that I can take the games with would actually make me want to play on the go. For the first time ever I'm actually considering buying a Nintendo console!

So apparently....

The switch comes with the joy con grips. However these are not the grips that are sold on their own. These special pack in grips do not charge the controller. Only the ones you purchase on their own will charge the joy cons. So you need to have the controlelrs docked to the system to charge them out of the box

WTF Nintendo

Battery life / Charging

Joy con 20 hours 3.5 hours
Switch 2.5-6.5 3 hours
Pro 40 hours 6 hours

wow

Maybe i miss something but what is the problem? How do you charge your PS4 controller? The last time i checked you have to connect the PS4 controller to the PS4...
Microsoft doesnt even see a problem with standalone batteries.

20h playtime is 83% of a day. There should be enough time between sleep, work and other hobbies to charge these joy cons...

go to Indonesia.

We eats pizza with fork and knife like some delicate meat
I am not Indonesian. Neither have I ever been to Indonesia. However, I will sometimes eat pizza with a knife and fork, and other times just with my hands. I also have had pizza with wedges.

I truly am a New Renaissance Man, embracing all the world's cultures and idiosyncrasies to enjoy the rich tapestry that life has to offer. Except Switch, which looks a bit rubbish. :p (actually it doesn't look rubbish, but it does look like a dead end, only for those people who are happy to have their $400+ initial investment end up in a drawer with no motion software, no friends with devices to play coop with, no 3rd party titles, and only 2 or 3 Nintendo titles a year to play).

Compared to the 3DS the price of the main hardware is good. But some of the accessories are too expensive. I hope Nintendo is targeting 60fps. 30fps are very painful to play for me.

In itself, I had little to do with Nintendo. The last stationary Nintendo hardware I used was the N64. In the mobile area it was the Gameboy Advanced SP. The switch interests me at least something compared to the hardware which appeared after the N64.

In the conventional stationary console system Nintendo would not have a chance against PlayStation and Xbox anyway. Nintendo scared the core gamers with the Wii. The Wii was a success but also the beginning of the decline in their stationary console area. The Wii did not have an online function and this ability gained great importance in this time. Players are mostly now with all their friends on a PlayStation or Xbox platfom.

I'm interested in the Switch. This is strangely enough. ^^

Last edited:
no motion software, no friends with devices to play coop with, no 3rd party titles, and only 2 or 3 Nintendo titles a year to play)

You have just described my gaming habits on Nintendo mobile devices for two decades and everything which appeals about Switch ;-) I have four games for my 3DS XL, one less than the number of games I played to death on my DS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back