Nintendo Revolution's controller technology?

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by j^aws, Jun 5, 2005.

1. j^aws

Veteran

SOURCE: Immersion Corporation

If Nintendo licensed this tech or if they had a similar tech, the Revolutions controller could be adapted to a touchscreen controller with NO conventional face buttons.

This would then allow for custom tactile feedback buttons and configurations tailored to individual games. I'd still expect an analogue stick and shoulder buttons to complement it still with perhaps the infamous gyro technology making an appearance too! Seems to fit with Nintendo's recent touchy, feely stance! :p

2. GwymWeepa

Regular

Yeah my friend pointed this info out on another messageboard...and pointed out how Immersion had suspiciously left Nintendo alone with its lawsuits...maybe they're in bed together? heh

3. pc999

Veteran

That would be very nice.

4. jvd

jvd
    Banned

or perhaps they went to nintendo said your infringing , nintendo backed down , came to an agreement and started to develop this ?

5. mckmas8808

Legend

I have some kind of this tech in my car. I have an Alpine flipout TV in my car and when you press things on the screen you can feel the feed back pulsing. It very neat, but I still can't see how this could be turned into a controller.

Maybe I'm not thinking hard enough, but I have to see this is get a better understanding of it.

6. Teasy

Veteran

I don't know, I think we would have heard about the deal in the commotion surrounding Sony's case, like we did with Microsofts deal. Maybe Nintendo have there own very slightly different patented rumble technology so Immersion didn't have a case against them.

On the other hand perhaps Nintendo have had a deal with Immersion since before the N64 was released.

7. GwymWeepa

Regular

That's possible as well, and would fit in the "in bed together" comment...basically they're still not going after Nintendo because Nintendo is using their technology for Revolution's controller.

8. pegisys

Regular

I don't think nintendo uses the same type of rumble, what sony and microsoft got sued for is having 2 motors with different sized weights on each, I think the gamecube only has one motor right in the middle

9. Any1

Newcomer

I'm having trouble understanding how this tech works. From what i do understand, it requires a screen to be placed over a touchscreen. And that screen can be manipulated into protruding certain areas to mimic a button which can be pressed with resistance to give the impression of it being a physical button.

And these protrusions can be placed anywhere and can take up as much space as desired by the software. Which i guess means that whoever is the developer of the game being played can give instructions in the game software of where, size, and what resistance is to appear on the controller screen.

Am i understanding this correctly or am i getting it all wrong? And if i am understanding this correctly, does anyone have any idea how such a thing could be done?

10. pc999

Veteran

Welcome.

And yes, it is more or less that.

11. Seoman

Newcomer

Ok, this is my crazy idea:

What if these "force feedback" were used to simulate the feel of buttons? You could basically give developpers endless choices and customization of the controller...

12. SanGreal

Regular

Nintendo licensed their rubmle tech from Immersion, thats why they weren't sued

13. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

Isn't it the same technology as Sony's TouchEngine feedback technology which is another creation of Jun Rekimoto who happens to be in the other thread?

14. Clashman

Regular

I'm pretty sure that Nintendo's rumble technology is significantly different than Immersion's. I seem to remember a talk back in one of the lawsuit threads where someone mentioned that Immersion's controller involved moving the motors in a circular motion, while nintendo's involved moving it back and forth in a pendulum-like motion or something like that.

15. Shark Sandwich

Regular

Whose crazy idea? :wink:

Are you sure about that? That's what I thought when I read the headline, but after reading the whole thing, it looks like it just vibrates in a different way depending on where you press. This sounds like a neat idea, but I'm not sure how well it could actually simulate the feel of real buttons.

16. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

You've never opened up a rumblepack or GC pad, have you?

Hint: they look, and function exactly the same. Only difference is (and it's a very marginal one at that), Sony uses two motors with weights of different sizes. I can't believe this patent hasn't been trashed already into the junk it obviously is; off-center weights is not something new that should be patentable. It's nothing but bullshit, it's not even force feedback, or simulating force feedback. It just shakes; that's IT.

17. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

That's what i never got about the vibration thing on controllers...

It's not force feedback, it's not... Realistic.. It's just a vibrating thing... Never saw the point.

18. j^aws

Veteran

Here's the patent which seems to describe this Immersion Touchsense tech,

Haptic feedback for touchpads and other touch controls

I can't access those documents without registering...any mirrors?