Nintendo Revolution Controller Revealed

Powderkeg said:
That would reduce sensitivity. Minor movments would be difficult since you would have to overcompensate your movements to make sure they aren't filtered out.

The difference is a mouse only moves in 2D, this moves in 3D. You have a free floating controller that must be held in a hand, preferrably pointing at the TV, and any movement in any direction causes an input. And that introduces a whole new set of movements.

Consider this. After gaming for a while, your ass starts to hurt, right? Try adjusting your seating position without moving your hands more than a fraction of an inch. See if you can do it naturally, or if it takes effort.

Simply leaning your body moves your hand position, and any movement in any direction will be interpreted as a controller input. So, not only will your arms have to remain near motionless excet for intentional movements, but you can't move the rest of your body either. If the hips or shoulders move, the hands move.

Little kids are going to hate this. Have you ever seen a kid under 10 who could remain perfectly still for 5 minutes?

(Out of chronological order)
About the kids. Yes. when playing games or watching tv :p

Well im sure wouldn't be playing with my arms in the air, the same way PC users have the elbow supported on the table, i'd be playing most of the time with my elbows supported on the coutch, my legs, sofa, table...

Oh and i forgot in the previous poust. One of the buttons on the righthand controller can act as a hold switch to ignore the "joystick" moves, like if we were lifting our mouse when we reach a unconfortable position. Its actually the best solution.

Powderkeg said:
And no one seems to care that it only has 2 Buttons total.

So every game has to be limited to only 2 button inputs.

Imagine the great racers with only a gas and brake.
All of the great FPS's that have fire, alternate fire, but nothing else.
All of the great fighters with punch, kick, but no block.

More than anything else, people should be concerned about the 2 button limit.

Lol In case you haven't noticed there are more buttons on the right hand controller/remote. Unless your right hand would be busy doing something else at the time ... ;)

WoW!! Video makes the possibities seem endless and very very interesting!!!!

The different types of gameplay elements. If that sword play is real....OMG.

Speng.

So, am I the first one to see the obvious (slight) fundamental flaw with this whole concept?
Nintendo sells a LOT of consoles at WalMart. WalMart mostly has playable kiosks that they set up themselves (not the kinds that are provided by the big three). This controller is only wireless. There is no wired version. I would assume that after the first generation of Revolution games, developers for the system will settle into a pattern of about (at least) one-half of the games available requiring an extra peripheral for control. How does WalMart secure this wireless controller to their kiosks (and also secure the peripherals to each other)? Will they have to drill holes into both the Rev Remote and the Rev Peripheral and run two chains to each to tether it to the kiosk? Will they put epoxy around the peripheral port and just have one peripheral permanently attached to the Rev Remote so that they only have to run one chain? And, since it has to be tethered to the kiosk (I know WalMart very well. They won't allow you to just pick it up freehand), doesn't that kinda ruin the whole experience of playing with this fancy new airborne controller?
Maybe I'm overthinking the whole situation and there's a simple solution that Nintendo has already thought of.
Thoughts?

oh also this answers the question most people asked. How are we gonna play duckhunt and other zapper/light gun games.

Riddlewire said:
So, am I the first one to see the obvious (slight) fundamental flaw with this whole concept?
Nintendo sells a LOT of consoles at WalMart. WalMart mostly has playable kiosks that they set up themselves (not the kinds that are provided by the big three). This controller is only wireless. There is no wired version. I would assume that after the first generation of Revolution games, developers for the system will settle into a pattern of about (at least) one-half of the games available requiring an extra peripheral for control. How does WalMart secure this wireless controller to their kiosks (and also secure the peripherals to each other)? Will they have to drill holes into both the Rev Remote and the Rev Peripheral and run two chains to each to tether it to the kiosk? Will they put epoxy around the peripheral port and just have one peripheral permanently attached to the Rev Remote so that they only have to run one chain? And, since it has to be tethered to the kiosk (I know WalMart very well. They won't allow you to just pick it up freehand), doesn't that kinda ruin the whole experience of playing with this fancy new airborne controller?
Maybe I'm overthinking the whole situation and there's a simple solution that Nintendo has already thought of.
Thoughts?

the same way they secure digicams and cellphones at stores like bestbuy

I think the games for Nintendo Revolution and the controller will make people want to buy it, even if they have one of the other systems.

I plan on getting one, regardless of which of the other systems I get.

It's just soo different, and looks to be a lot of fun, especially if you have friends and family who also enjoy gaming.

speng.

It's been tried before with the powerglove. All of these "move your arm around" devices result in one thing: arm fatigue. Try getting one of those mice that you hold in your hand and wave your hand around and use it for a few hours. Then you'll realize how much you 'rest' your hands on your mouse. Next time you place on your console, think about how often you rest the controller between your leggs, or put your elbows on your thighs, etc.

This controller is the stupidest think I've seen in alot time, and the WIRE between the pieces of it are doubly stupid.

It looks like a neat little novelty like eye toy. I dont know if I'd buy a whole seperate system based around it. Unless Revolution is like $100.

Looks like a gyro mouse. Having used one, I remain a bit skeptical. Does anyone know if this has a button that activates the gyroscope or is it on all the time?

Uh oh, I don't know what to think. First thought was something like "Eh, what they're been smoking" but the more I think about the more I like it.

Miksu said:
Uh oh, I don't know what to think. First thought was something like "Eh, what they're been smoking" but the more I think about the more I like it.

Uh oh, I just watched the Revolution-trailer posted in the last page. Now I'm really excited about possibilities.

Nightz said:
According to gamesindustry theres an attachment that slots in and transforms it into a more traditional style controller. So its well thought and versatile i think.

You can use the Gamecubes controllers too, can't you?

Seeing this for the first time.. here.. right now..
All I can say is I think I seen something like that before in my ladies nightstand drawer.

I think it would make for a better set of nun-chucks..
At least they still got the handheld market.. firmly.. in grasp?

Uncle said:
You can use the Gamecubes controllers too, can't you?

Yes, the console itself has 4 GC controller plugins and 2 GC memory card plugins on the side of the console. It also reads GC's 8cm mini-DVDs.

Back