Nintendo Revolution Controller Revealed

onetimeposter said:
Features at a glance:

* 3D Pointing: Sensors understand up, down, left, right, forward and backward.
* Tilt Sensitive: Controller can be rotated or rolled from side-to-side.

Now I know why they didn't show the controller at E3. Sony's demo of Eye Toy in their presentation basically covered their features, when the eye toy creator demonstrated Eye Toy by scooping water using cups in that virtual tub. This is more or less the same. Maybe more functional in one way, less flexible in another compare to eye toy.

Faces of audience after looking at controller first time

nine3conf_051303_gcn_03in.jpg

V3 said:
Now I know why they didn't show the controller at E3. Sony's demo of Eye Toy in their presentation basically covered their features, when the eye toy creator demonstrated Eye Toy by scooping water using cups in that virtual tub. This is more or less the same. Maybe more functional in one way, less flexible in another compare to eye toy.

I assume that the Rev controller is "3d" in that you can move the controller in any direction, but with Eye Toy it's just a processed 2d picture.

I'm am very unimpressed... I much rather play with standard controller than point that thing, maybe it works for some games, but to me that looks really ankward for most games, well maybe I'm not in the target audience...

Powderkeg said:
And somehow, I don't see this being a really sensitive controller.

Gyroscopres can be VERY accurate and sensative. You have to remove light gun analogies and experiences from your mind. This is quite different.

Obviously we have to TEST it to get a feel of the implimentation, but that said, in general, this could be very accurate.

We all have to realize that their WILL probably be a learning curve to use this thing....but thats what I most like about it. Buying the Revoluion and trying to learn how to use these capabilities is what makes it so appealing...not same old same old stuff.

Reznor007 said:
I assume that the Rev controller is "3d" in that you can move the controller in any direction, but with Eye Toy it's just a processed 2d picture.

I remember hearing that the EyeToy 2 will also process distance and output it to the screen (in 3D). The original EyeToy does everything in on a 2D plane.

Reznor007 said:

Well isn't that one of the improvement for eye toy 2 ? It can detect movement of depth too ? I mean it isn't hard to do you just look at the size of the object, if it becomes smaller its been move back, larger its been move forward, etc.

Acert93 said:
Gyroscopres can be VERY accurate and sensative. You have to remove light gun analogies and experiences from your mind. This is quite different.

Obviously we have to TEST it to get a feel of the implimentation, but that said, in general, this could be very accurate.

If you make it very sensitive, then you'll screw up peoples games.

Imagine playing RE, something jumps out, you jerk from the surprise, accidentally backing up into the spiked pit of death.

I mean think about it. How many times has something happened in a game that caused to to instinctively move your hands? Someone asks you a question, you shrug your shoulders, which moves your hands, and now you're dead and have to restart from the last save.

No, the sensitivity will have to be low enough so that it ignores instictive and unintentional movements, which means you'll probably be swinging this thing around like a baseball bat, which means you've lost any sense of fine control in your games.

Not to mention it's an ergonomical nightmare. Imagine typing text messages on a cell phone for 4 hours straight. That's what playing with this controller will feel like after tha same amount of time, because it requires your hands to be in almost the exact same position, making almost the exact same movements.

Skrying said:
Edit: Something did just cross my mind though, this could be the big awaking for FPS games on the console. If the remote ( its not a controller anymore...) detects movement well enough, you could use the joystick to move around and the remote to aim. It'd work perfectly, and be ultra realistic.
I don't see how you could use the remote for aiming. I mean, swing the remote to the right and your view shifts right, but then to keep looking forward at that point would you have to just keep the thing pointed right? How would you do a 180 degree turn, by pointing the thing away from the TV? Am I missing something?

I wonder if kids will find this controller easier or hard to use than adults. having three boys (10,8,6) i dont hink their hand is as steady as mine and would be more prone to unwanted motion. Too sensitive might be frustrating for them but im sure you can dial down the sensistivity.

J

expletive said:
I wonder if kids will find this controller easier or hard to use than adults. having three boys (10,8,6) i dont hink their hand is as steady as mine and would be more prone to unwanted motion. Too sensitive might be frustrating for them but im sure you can dial down the sensistivity.

J

There could be a possiblity to change the sensitiviy of the remote.

kyleb said:
I don't see how you could use the remote for aiming. I mean, swing the remote to the right and your view shifts right, but then to keep looking forward at that point would you have to just keep the thing pointed right? How would you do a 180 degree turn, by pointing the thing away from the TV? Am I missing something?
True, but the mouse input has this same issue: you just pick up the mouse and reposition it back to center. The new controller will have to have something like that as well.

Let me say this: I'm so glad Nintendo is still in the hardware business. They seem to be the only innovative source for video games. Sony and MS appear to focus on improving what worked well the previous gen (within reason, of course, the EyeToy being an example of innovation on Sony's part).

.Sis

kyleb said:

I think it should act just like light gun in FPS so it controls the gun. So moving, rotating, strafing are done by analog maybe by some shift key to fit it all on the analog.

Gun probably won't be an interesting weapon for it, bow and arrow or knife or fist. But still I hate the idea of the fact that the attachment is connected by cable, why can't they use wireless there too ?

V3, the eyetoy2 can't actually measure depth like that. It has an additional rf or rather infra-red light on it. You have to have a properly reflective material -- a little sticky reflector -- and then it measures the time difference to bounce back and forth to determine depth. So, essentially it just has to be reflective material, but yeah.

omg...

is that for real???

that's horrible...

and i was planning to get that system...

oh wells... more $$$ going to games on the other new consoles...

Mefisutoferesu said:
V3, the eyetoy2 can't actually measure depth like that. It has an additional rf or rather infra-red light on it. You have to have a properly reflective material -- a little sticky reflector -- and then it measures the time difference to bounce back and forth to determine depth. So, essentially it just has to be reflective material, but yeah.
And really, the Eyetoy suffers from being a victim of the environment. Lighting and camera placement have a lot to do with the response and accuracy of the input. It makes for a fun party game, though...

.Sis

Mefisutoferesu said:

I didn't know eyetoy2 has that. That would be even better compare to the method I suggested.

Back