Nintendo Revolution Controller Revealed

its......i dunno. im confused

hands-on-the-revolution-controller-20050915054930644.jpg

Features at a glance:

* Remote control design: constructed to appeal to a wide variety of potential players
* 3D Pointing: Sensors understand up, down, left, right, forward and backward.
* Tilt Sensitive: Controller can be rotated or rolled from side-to-side.
* Buttons Included: Has a trigger on its backside, face buttons, and a D-Pad.
* Multifunctional: Has an expansion port which can be used with different types of controller peripherals. Analog stick with two trigger buttons planned for left hand.
* Wireless: Totally wire-free. Currently there are no details on the max distance, source or power, or otherwise.
* Rumble Built-in. Included standard in all the controllers.

WOW...I just read what its capable of...and I think it CAN revolutionize gaming.....the 3D spacial sensing ability sounds very cool...I can't wait to get my hands on this. Unfortunatley..it CAN revolutionize gaming..but like the DS, it all depends on the developers of the games.

onetimeposter said:
i can bet because of this there will be even lesser third party support

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. I can't even begin to imagine how you would get something like Madden, or even Tekken to work on that without having to do some major reworking of the gameplay to match the controls.

BlueTsunami said:
WOW...I just read what its capable of...and I think it CAN revolutionize gaming.....the 3D spacial sensing ability sounds very cool...I can't wait to get my hands on this. Unfortunatley..it CAN revolutionize gaming..but like the DS, it all depends on the developers of the games.

well you can kiss multiplatform games goodbye

BlueTsunami said:

No it can't.

Why? Because right now gaming at it's core is something you sit down and play. With more movements required by your arms you're gonna have to stand up. Why? Because it's bound to be quite uncomfortable. The technology is probably at this point best left for arcades. I'd also wager this is going backwards in terms of pick-up and play instead of forwards.

onetimeposter said:
well you can kiss multiplatform games goodbye

Doubtful, given that it has the ability to accept peripherals. One would assume Nintendo would appeal to those who want to play their classic NES, SNES and even GCN titles with the original controllers. Gamespots review hints at it.

DopeyFish said:
No it can't.

Why? Because right now gaming at it's core is something you sit down and play. With more movements required by your arms you're gonna have to stand up. Why? Because it's bound to be quite uncomfortable. The technology is probably at this point best left for arcades. I'd also wager this is going backwards in terms of pick-up and play instead of forwards.

Have you ever watched newbie gamers? When they play racing games they frequently roll the contoller, when they play FPS games they move the controller in the direction they want to go. And they do this all while sitting down. Weird, but true.

Wow that is nothing like I imagined. I have lots of problems using 2 sticks on the duke or dual shock this controller might keep me away from the rev.

Dot50Cal said:
Doubtful, given that it has the ability to accept peripherals. One would assume Nintendo would appeal to those who want to play their classic NES, SNES and even GCN titles with the original controllers. Gamespots review hints at it.

Developers aren't going to spend the money to make a game for a system if it doesn't work on the standard controller. They can't count on everyone buying a peripheral, or having a GCN controller handy. Not to mention 3rd party developers have a lot of trouble selling games on Nintendo systems anyway.

I think it's safe to say that there will be very few multiplatform games on the Revolution.

BlueTsunami said:

Hopefully it works as well as it sounds. I've used a lot of gimmicky mice or controllers and have never been impressed. I trust that Nintendo can make something like this work though.

The more I think about it the more I like it.

FPS => CHECK! Should be pretty 'easy' and a better solution than a gamepad

RTS => DOUBLE CHECK!! Not quite a mouse, but close enough

Football => Super innovation for passing, so CHECK! All kinds of possibilities

Baseball => Check! Swing batter!! Pitching, oh yeah! Do the motion and TIME the release by hitting the trigger!!

Racing games => CHECK!

Action games => Check... swinging swords drool...

There may be some hurdles and surely hit and misses... but this is very exciting!

Leave it to Nintendo to take a chance on controls.

Now, I WISH the D-pad was a small analog pad and better layout of buttons + MORE buttons.

But it looks like 2 bottons on the left paddle, plus 2 very easy to get to ones on the right remote. That is 4 buttons plus 2 input devices.

This really should open up a ton of new game styles and genres and make all kinds of "old" game styles new because it is waay more interactive.

This puts people more into the game... hats off to Nintendo!

Reznor007 said:
Have you ever watched newbie gamers? When they play racing games they frequently roll the contoller, when they play FPS games they move the controller in the direction they want to go. And they do this all while sitting down. Weird, but true.

Just don't cough, sneeze, burp, fart, get pushed by your brother, or have the dog/cat jump in your lap while playing.

And somehow, I don't see this being a really sensitive controller.

Cool, now I have to get a rev. If it really has true spatial sensing. Build it with a trackball for the PC and I'd buy one for XSI ;)
(I'm quite disappointed in the general response on this forum though, this used to be a place where you could discuss technology, not trade company futures)

Abosoluty CRAP. Wow, wtf were they thinking.

I like the features, but the design...... come on Nintendo, wtf. I cant use that, my hands.... it just wont work. Wow, I can see it now, my hands slipping, or feeling uncomfortable.

Man, this makes me so sad. I love Nintendo, but I honestly think they may have just put themselves down for the count.

Edit: Something did just cross my mind though, this could be the big awaking for FPS games on the console. If the remote ( its not a controller anymore...) detects movement well enough, you could use the joystick to move around and the remote to aim. It'd work perfectly, and be ultra realistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back