Nintendo Revolution Controller Revealed

gurgi said:
Because aiming a weapon like a sniper rifle is accurate to the 'pixel' IRL. It's almost as if the rev controller is more realistic. People are afraid of change, especially at the cost of thier AWP wielding e-peen. ;)

I was going to say the same thing. If you were shooting a real life rifle with a scope ie sniper rifle, your target would take up a sizable portion of your scope's field of view and you will NOT be complaining about per pixel accuracy or lack thereof that is unless you were aiming for the pupil of an eyeball. If your target was relegated to the equivalent of a 5 pixel group pentagon where per pixel accuracy is indeed required, then you better start asking for donations from your fellow SWAT team members so you could buy yourself a higher powered scope. ;)

Oh btw I've shot real rifles both with and without scopes since I was a teenager so I know from first hand experience what real sniping is all about. Not only that but it's a lot more difficult to shoot the tiny bullseye of a target without a schope than shooting a human shaped target board without a scope. However with a scope even the bullseye is easy picking.

Let's not even talking about windage adjustments on real rifles...

PC-Engine said:
I was going to say the same thing. If you were shooting a real life rifle with a scope ie sniper rifle, your target would take up a sizable portion of your scope's field of view and you will NOT be complaining about per pixel accuracy or lack thereof that is unless you were aiming for the pupil of an eyeball. If your target was relegated to the equivalent of a 5 pixel group pentagon where per pixel accuracy is indeed required, then you better start asking for donations from your fellow SWAT team members so you could buy yourself a higher powered scope. ;)

Oh btw I've shot real rifles both with and without scopes since I was a teenager so I know from first hand experience what real sniping is all about. Not only that but it's a lot more difficult to shoot the tiny bullseye of a target without a schope than shooting a human shaped target board without a scope. However with a scope even the bullseye is easy picking.

Let's not even talking about windage adjustments on real rifles...

I welcome the idea of realism, but i wouldn't want my games to become so realistic that i can't play them. I mean, i've never shot a sniper, and a 100% realistic method would be totally lost on me. And i think the same goes for all other people who have had the misfortune to not have shot a sniper or killed someone in real life...
A bit like making racing games so realistic that the gamer just doesn't have much fun anymore (current racing games, even the most "realistic", are easy and forgiving compared to real life).

Know what i mean?

Exactly. A truly realistic racer would see your average Joe losing every race for the first few days of play. A truly realistic fighter would see every overweight, under-exercised player get butt-whipped by ninja kung-po experts with the digital fitness of an Olympic Triathlete. How much fun is Revolution Tennis going to be if you're pitted with all your meagre skills against the world's greatest Tennis players, and they Ace you every serve?

Games are about simulating situations where you have a virtual advantrage and can do more than your normal self.

london-boy said:
I welcome the idea of realism, but i wouldn't want my games to become so realistic that i can't play them. I mean, i've never shot a sniper, and a 100% realistic method would be totally lost on me. And i think the same goes for all other people who have had the misfortune to not have shot a sniper or killed someone in real life...
A bit like making racing games so realistic that the gamer just doesn't have much fun anymore (current racing games, even the most "realistic", are easy and forgiving compared to real life).

Know what i mean?

Well the irony here is that shooting a real life sniper rifle is actually easier than what DC is claiming with all of his per pixel accuracy required PC game nonsense. That was the point of my post. IOW don't worry lb, shooting a real rifle with a scope is not as difficult as you imagine, in fact it's in many ways easier than using a mouse and aiming for a group of pixels, that's why the Revolution's controller will not be an issue for games that require sniping. If you've ever played RE4 and used the sniper rifle, you'd be amazed at how close it actually comes to a real rifle/scope combo. Of course the intermechanics between user input and visual output are totally different because you're using a standard control pad with analog thumbstick, but if you replaced the control pad with a free floating point device, the resultant input to output immersiveness gets even more close to the real thing and it instantly becomes second nature. It would be nice if Capcom releases a version of RE5 using Revolution's DPD for aiming. :cool:

PC-Engine said:
Well the irony here is that shooting a real life sniper rifle is actually easier than what DC is claiming with all of his per pixel accuracy required PC game nonsense. That was the point of my post. IOW don't worry lb, shooting a real rifle with a scope is not as difficult as you imagine, in fact it's in many ways easier than using a mouse and aiming for a group of pixels, that's why the Revolution's controller will not be an issue for games that require sniping. If you've ever played RE4 and used the sniper rifle, you'd be amazed at how close it actually comes to a real rifle/scope combo. Of course the intermechanics between user input and visual output are totally different because you're using a standard control pad with analog thumbstick, but if you replaced the control pad with a free floating point device, the resultant input to output immersiveness gets even more close to the real thing and it instantly becomes second nature. It would be nice if Capcom releases a version of RE5 using Revolution's DPD for aiming. :cool:

But snipers use some kind of support for help, u know, like the bit they attach to it when they lay on the floor... :oops: We could get add-ons like that! And lay in our livingroom :LOL:

Reminds me of the old Genesis and SNES shooting games, those were the good times!

london-boy said:
But snipers use some kind of support for help, u know, like the bit they attach to it when they lay on the floor... :oops: We could get add-ons like that! And lay in our livingroom :LOL:

Reminds me of the old Genesis and SNES shooting games, those were the good times!

Well real snipers use a bipod, we gamers only need our laps.:smile:

I would like if the controller lets you play or track exagerated gestures like the ones in the released video as well as controlling the action with smaller movements, like some of the impresions describe.

I dont trust the video much because i remembered the power glove comercial, in the comercial the kid swinged his arms as if the glove was tracking arm movements. The time i used the glove, the game was controled by moving the fingers.

It should allow that extensive range of tracking. I imagine the Rev controller is what the power was supposed to achieve but they didn't have the tech to effectively manage it back then.

Is too bad that, as always, we end up speculating.

I mean a very good deal of the implications of this controller are based in if it can track small or exagerated gestures as well as the speed of the pointer.

If it works like is suposed to, then theres a ton of aplications for the device.

Too bad a developer hasnt spoken openly about the controller. Im not talking the small snipets we got. I mean if the controller is already unveiled, a coment from a developer with some hands on time about how competent the controller can handle some of the existing genres (specially the ones that fit the controller) wouldnt jeopardize Nintendo's plan.

There's no technical reason to doubt the movie is indicative of what's possible. A basic triangulation of signal is easy and effective, and probably more accurate in principal to an analogue stick, and modern gyro's/accelerometers are very capable, as used in robots with exceptional acrobatic abilities. I'll be VERY surprised if the Rev control suffers from any major accuracy or tracking problems, short of interference on the BlueTooth channel

Well, if the controll can indeed keep up with the stuff the video shows, then Nintendos real problem will be where to stack all the cash they gonna make.

I mean everytime i show the video to someone not familiar with games they feel very impressed and conclude that it represents a more or less natural way to play. As for the people into games, they feel more than happy to take this console as a support one either for the 360, PS3 or both.

Sad that the magazine guys had so little time to test the thing, but i must admit i wasnt specting the controller to be showcased at TGS. The irony here is that it sparked a lot more questions than asnwers.

Looks pretty good to me and it will be interesting to see to what extent Nintendo are able to overcome the possible problems one or two posters in this thread have thought of.

Personally, I'm surprised nobody has thought of another possible use for the controller. If you were pissed-off after being beaten in a fighting game using the analogue attachment (against a real life opponent obviously) you could hurl the controller across the room like a bola in an attempt to wreak instant revenge! :devilish:

I think those concept mockups are neato.

Of course when I swap weapons, will I have to swap attachments? ;)

Back