Nintendo GOing Forward.

Its copyright infringement, not theft. The two are very different.

That said Nintendo has to protect their IP so fair enough though you could wonder how much if any damage such fan games really do. I mean you can play almost every game on a emulator but how many people do that?

Both are FREE fan love games that had taken years to finish.
Why had not Nintendo warned the developers years ago?
Metroid 2 Remake has been a really visible project at the retro/emu community for years.

They don't mind people making them. I think it's when they get largely successful that Nintendo move, or become actual products. In the case of AM2R, it was when it was released that Nintendo acted. Up until that point, they can't really stop someone making a private project for private amusement. And I don't think anyone's naive enough in this day and age to not be aware this can happen.

Talented devs shouldn't waste their potential doing fan-games anyway. Take all inspiration you want from your favorite games, but add your own ideas and twists to it, and create your own universe.

Talented devs shouldn't waste their potential doing fan-games anyway. Take all inspiration you want from your favorite games, but add your own ideas and twists to it, and create your own universe.
Exacty, if they really like game X or Y they can make a gameplay clone with different graphics (ie not Mario, Zelda, Metroid...), that will not infringe Nintendo's IP, and they can claim to be inspired by whichever game they like...

That assumes they just want to make a game. Chances are if they didn't remake the old IP, they'd lose interest in their own project. Not to mention visibility is zero for new IPs from unknown devs. It's actually better to rip off an IP during development, get a following, and then change the details to make it your own. But that's only when the company that owns the IP isn't making the game you want. Otherwise hands off other people's IP!

In addition to PS 4 Pro, Foxconn is the largest OEM for Nintendo NX, followed by Japan-based Misumi Electronics and Hosiden, the sources noted. Annual production of Nintendo NX is estimated at 9.5-10 million units, the sources said.

Looks like NX is beginning early stages of production.

Will this thing get the lastest AAA games?....or have publishers pretty much written Nintendo off at this point and resigned to develop for two consoles.

Actually come to think of it was there even a generation where publishers were regularly releasing their game across three console platforms?

PS2, Gamecube, Xbox is the only generation i can thing of where that sort of happened.

Will this thing get the lastest AAA games?....or have publishers pretty much written Nintendo off at this point and resigned to develop for two consoles.

Actually come to think of it was there even a generation where publishers were regularly releasing their game across three console platforms?

PS2, Gamecube, Xbox is the only generation i can thing of where that sort of happened.

Too early to say. We don't know what performance looks like yet. If its a hybrid that is Tegra based, then AAA multi plats are probably unlikely.

The most impressive thing in that list is how both the Wii and the DS almost broke 1 billion software titles sold.
Wow...

The 3DS is Nintendo's worst performing handheld to date, and the Wii U is their worst performing console ever.
The Wii U has performed worse than the Vita, which may not seem all that shocking until we take into account that the Vita got nearly zero 1st party commitment, whereas the Wii U had the blunt of Nintendo's workforce developing their most prized IPs for it.

I don't agree with this Daniel Ahmad when he says there isn't demand for dedicated handhelds, and much less when he suggests that core gamers now prefer app store games. Original core games in ios/android are non-existent and ports of games everyone has played can only get a fraction of the interest. Plus, lack of dedicated input sticks/buttons plays a huge role here.

Core gamers are simply fed up with the 3DS' 15-years-old-looking graphics and the Vita only gets indies, visual novels and a few localized JRPGs now.

IMHO there's a huge hole in the gaming market waiting to be filled, and Nintendo is in the best position to fill it unless they go full-greed on the processing hardware.

Are they? Personally I'm fine even with DS graphics. Handheld screens are pretty small and if you use them while traveling your hands will be moving while gaming as well making it more difficult to see what is going on. You can have a ton of details but I don't think that is necessarily going to make games any easier to play. IMHO simple graphics work best for a handheld.

Sony went with high end hardware and that probably didn't go as well as they hoped. Not saying a bit more power would hurt but price and battery life are very important as well I'd say.

Playing Patapon on Vita, the low res is very bothersome. Regardless of graphical prowess, I don't like sub 'retina' displays any more!

I'd hate the 400x240 resolution of the 3ds if it wasn't for the autostereoscopic display. At least for me, the visual depth greatly detracts from the aliasing issues. Unfortunately, the 3d screen is barely usable on the original 3ds, making it one of the worst handhelds ever created as far as I'm concerned. It's also uncomfortable as hell unless you've got baby hands, not to mention ugly as fuck. I rather like my new3ds though. System should have been like that on day1.

This also adds to my worries regarding the NX launch. Nintendo has quite the history when it comes to fixing their half-broken handhelds years post release.

This also adds to my worries regarding the NX launch. Nintendo has quite the history when it comes to fixing their half-broken handhelds years post release.

Or breaking their otherwise good handhelds, like the Gameboy Advance -> SP transition. Sure the backlight was a nice addition, but it certainly didn't justify taking away the headphone jack and destroying its ergonomics.

Well it looks like going mobile only won't work any time soon:

Nintendo's Super Mario Run, the portly plumber's first official outing on mobile devices, has been downloaded over 78 million times. Of those 78 million, 40 million were in the first four days of the game hitting the iOS App Store, while five percent (roughly four million people) paid the one-off £8/$10 fee to unlock the full version.

Super Mario Run's success has transformed Nintendo's mobile/IP licensing business, generating revenues of ¥10.6 billion (£75 million, $93 million) for the nine-month period ending December 31 2016, compared to ¥4.4 billion (£30 million, $38 million) in 2015, according to its latest financial report. Super Mario Run has since fallen off the App Store charts but is due for release on Android in March.

Despite Nintendo's promising start in mobile, Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima told reporters that Super Mario Run's conversion rate (that is, the number of players that opted to pay for the full version) fell below the company's double-digit expectations. Hopes are high for its next mobile game, Fire Emblem Heroes, which is due for release on Android and iOS on February 2. Its Animal Crossing mobile game has now been pushed back to "the next fiscal year," which could be as late as March 2018.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/super-mario-run-sales-nintendo-financial-q4-2016/

Meanwhile sales on 3DS are better:

As for the rest of the company, Nintendo reported a ¥64.7 billion (£456million, $569 million) profit on revenues of ¥174.3 billion (£1.2 billion, $1.5 billion) for the quarter ending December 31. Operating profit reached ¥32.3 billion yen (£227 million, $284 million). Profits were largely driven by the success of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon for the 3DS, which have clocked in combined sales of 14.69 million since launch in November. Super Mario Maker for 3DS has also sold more than one million copies since launch.

"Pokemon did exceptionally well," Kimishima told reporters. "But we’re also trying to sell more of other titles and weren't able to do that."

Both games helped drive hardware sales of the 3DS, which hit 6.45 million units for the nine month period ending December 31, a 10 percent year-on-year increase. 3DS software sales were also up for the same period, rising 20 percent year-on-year to 46.78 million units. Unsurprisingly, Wii U continued to slide, with hardware sales of 760,000 units (down 75 percent year-on-year), and software sales of 12.48 million units (down 45 percent year-on-year).

So Nintendo is not getting any reinforcement for the idea of going software-only on other devices than their own.

Back