Nintendo 3DS Announced

You can just use a higher resolution LCD (e.g. twice horizontal resolution) and display the same picture for both eyes. With NDS's resolution, it's not going to be very expensive.

Then the vertical pixels need to be twice as large, or twice the the vertical resolution as well.

It'd need 2, 512*384 LCDs!

You're gonna fall down a lot when you first learn to walk. Nintendo definitely learned a lesson from the virtual boy

So the sum of Nintendo's experience with 3D is, don't stick kids faces 3 inches from the screen.

and they've been secretly working on 3D for years now. It was only recently revealed that the Gamecube actually had 3D capabilities secretly built into it.

Link? Not to prove your point, but because I'm a fan of gamecube and am genuinely interested in that

BTW, what about all those Tegra 2 rumors? They seem to have died down quite a bit. Anyone care to take a stab (or leak) what they might be using?

Given they said it will be BC with DSi/DS. That means it has the same 2 ARM processors DSi has, at a faster clockspeed. Do you really see them using those 2, and Tegra? I'm sure the way Tegra accesses it's ARM is different from how DS accesses it's.

I don't see PSP2 or 3DS using an exotic new processor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neo , the ds is'nt exactly a power house beast. a shrunk down gamecube / wii should easily emulate the ds .

Link? Not to prove your point, but because I'm a fan of gamecube and am genuinely interested in that

It was only recently revealed. It was in the 3rd quarter financial results briefing for the fiscal year ending March 2010 Q&A right in the official site. It's the second question.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/100129qa/03.html

To tell you the truth, GameCube is secretly designed to load graphical circuits which display graphics for right and left eyes respectively, for a future possibility of realizing 3D gaming experience. So actually we have had interest on this technology, but I have some doubt about everyone needing glasses to play. Also, we would have to consider the impact on a human body if we develop 3D games as full-scaled as current video games, which takes much longer than 2-hours movies. If we design games that the players can enjoy only for two hours, that would mean less value for the price. To wrap up, we have interests but are also aware that there are so many hurdles to overcome, thus we don't believe every kind of game will become 3D environment in no time.

http://kotaku.com/5500166/report-nintendo-3ds-also-has-3d-joystick-force-feedback--more

Nintendo's fifth generation version of its wildly popular Nintendo DS hardware, the Nintendo 3DS, comes with more than just the power to display 3D images. It also comes with a new joystick and force feedback, according to one report.

Fortunately, that report is from the typically reliable Nikkei, who writes that Nintendo "plans to give the new system a 3-D joystick and a force feedback mechanism that will let players feel the collisions of a game character."

dino.gif
this one looks damn cool

Ah, because I'm in a rush ? Didn't know Nikkei has an English article.

The Japanese media can make mistakes too, like the Iwata interview misquote. ^_^
The best source is Nintendo directly.

dino.gif
this one looks damn cool

You should see the actual VHS box. It's a 3d hologram kind of thing, so not only is there parallax effects, but the T.Rex actually pops out and breaks through the logo. I bought it day one when the Lost World VHS came out. I was so proud.

>_< Should post a youtube video instead of these shaking cam 3D images.

I could notice a Sony Bravia flickers in their early 3D demo @ 120Hz. It's rather uncomfortable. The latter SonyStyle demoes (like last week) are much more solid. Very cool to see the polar bear swim underwater and close up.

EDIT:
In my view, ideally, the control should be a 3D pen, not 3D joystick. They only need to track the tip of the pen (Don't worry about pitch, yaw and roll), like how Sony tracks the light ball. With rumble in the base unit, we can toy with collision between the pen and the in-game objects. The camera would be useful for other gameplay mechanics mentioned above.

It was only recently revealed. It was in the 3rd quarter financial results briefing for the fiscal year ending March 2010 Q&A right in the official site. It's the second question.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/100129qa/03.html

I think this was actually discovered quite by accident when people experimenting with the Dolphin Wii and Gamecube emulator discovered how incredibly well and glitch free the games ran in stereo while using Nvidia 3D stereo glasses. (Even most PC games exhibit numerous glitches when running 3D stereo, save for those intentionally programmed to take advantage of it like Resident Evil 5.)

Sony responds :D

"I think it remains to be seen where Nintendo goes with 3D on a portable," he added. "Having been in the portable space for quite awhile, I think it's an interesting move but one I'd like to see where they go from a demographic standpoint. 8 and 9 year olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now."
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1079408p1.html

Still firmly seated in 2005. And I wonder if that's the same research that made them release the PSPgo.

Not everyone's convinced about 3d gaming, though. They certainly weren't when it came to consoles, is it a revolutionary concept on handhelds?

Well, I hope all portable devices, including iPhone, iPad, PSP, Zune, can display 3D where it makes sense. Once Nintendo lays down the road, the cost and robustness of the solutions will make it more feasible for others to come in. For a PSP, it doesn't really matter if it's for gaming or not. I use it mostly for media stuff anyway.

Would be keen to see the quality of the 3D screen.

Koller said:
8 and 9 year olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now

If this is true, that means Nintendo is (also) going after your mature audience pie, Sony. ^_^
I think 8-9 years old are very savvy in technology applications. They may not understand what's under the hood, but they can certainly appreciate it.

I don't know how well this 3D is gonna take off. It might do well, but I don't see it over taking LCD TV sales for a while. The cost is just way to high for most people.

Up to the content provider and manufacturers to push. Blu-ray is doing not so bad going after DVD, 3DTV can be LCD TV, LED TV or better.

Cost will come down over time. The first question is is it good enough ?

Not everyone's convinced about 3d gaming, though. They certainly weren't when it came to consoles, is it a revolutionary concept on handhelds?

I'm actually more optimistic about 3DS than anything I've seen from Sony - because, on one hand, glasses suck, and buying a new TV sucks even more - while, on the other hand, the one place glass-free stereoscopy can work is on a handheld where, if done right, you would subconsciously adjust the angle and distance from the screen to keep your eyes in the magic spot.

And the whole thing feels very Nintendoish. Why did nobody think of that before? The Sharp phone is about as relevant prior art as the Microsoft Sidewinder thing was for the Wii. It will be hard to get right, and their games will be head and shoulders above the rest.

Why did nobody think of that before?

We spoke about it in the 3D gaming thread:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1384523&postcount=294

He also mentioned that mobile devices will use autostereoscopic display since the user can tilt the handset easily to adjust viewing angle (Not sure about glare though). No glasses will be needed there. Hopefully those work come to fruition soon ! (He was working on a cellphone autostereoscopic display)

In the above case, I believe the special sauce is in the display glass. You need to look at it from a very narrow angle, which may be ok for a small handheld.

Back