Nintendo 3DS Announced

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by patsu, Mar 23, 2010.

1. patsu

Legend

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323e.pdf

EDIT: Changed to English release.

2. Crossbar

Veteran

Here we go. We already discussed this as a possibility for the PSP2.

A bit surprising to see Nintendo taking the lead of 3D in the handheld space, but this is a testament that 3D will grow big within the next few years. You bet 3D will be a bullit point for Wii HD as well, maybe it will be called Wii 3D? :?:

3. patsu

Legend

It is a shame that US is in a recession when so many interesting systems are being released.

4. EvilOne666

Newcomer

o_0

5. V3

V3
    Veteran

Well it is doable, how well is the question. But this is predictable, I wonder if they have more up their sleeve. Like 3D touch features or something that would be very cool.

6. fehu

Veteran Regular

how can it be done?

7. N00b

Regular

8. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

There were some "naked eye 3D display" a few years ago. For example, Sharp released a few of them when 15" LCD were still very popular :)
    The ability to change view point using accelerometer is also a possibility. However, it's still better to have different visual for each eye. It'd be even better to combine these two.
    A camera for finding the player's eye position is also a possibility.

9. ShadowRunner

Veteran

There are phones in japan that have no-glasses 3d screens aswell. From what ive seen feedback hasnt been too positive as there are still a lot of issues but id expect Nintendo to iron many of these out. The no-glasses screens depend on the user viewing the screen at a specific angle, this works for portable devices because you tend to hold them directly in front of you. I doubt this would work with motion tilting for instance. I believe screen reselution has to be significantly reduced also.

10. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

I'm betting that they will just do some fancy head-tracking with internal camera.

This E3 will be legendary.

11. obonicus

Veteran

It'll be interesting to see what 3d ideas Nintendo has. Virtual boy titles?

12. whome0

Newcomer

So Last Season Technique :lol::lol:
    TV manfacturers have been experimenting it for few years, have seen one demo in Barcelona a/v conference. Don't know exact details but its like small crystals or reflectors turning in proper angles. Problem is it looks good for one person in a sweet spot so don't expect to see in a family living rooms any time soon. Then we must apply an unknown lag issue in equation.

This technique could work better in handheld devices, a relative fixed viewing distance and angle and one player.

13. Graham

Graham Hello :-)
    Veteran Subscriber

Well this came out of nowhere.

If this does use a genuine 3D display, then excellent. To me, 3D makes a lot more sense as the form factor gets smaller.

Nintendo really are odd sometimes. Announcing new hardware in a badly formatted, ugly, single page PDF.. I can't help wonder if this was accidental?

I wouldn't think so. The press release quotes "enjoy 3D effects without the need for special glasses". Given that effect can already be achieved on a DSi without the need for 3D glasses, would suggest this is more complex.

That's my guess. Finding the eyes with an IR camera + light is pretty straight forward (cat eyes :mrgreen:). Pretty much the Wii 'sensor bar' but in human form.
    Perhaps it's something really sneaky, like two direction filters on the the screen with ultra fast/precise movement mechanisms - so it dynamically adjusts for each eye? Just a wild guess. I wouldn't expect it's fixed, given the DS works in landscape/portrait.

There are full size TV panels that allow up to and over 16 viewing angles to 'work' for autostereoscopic 3D.

In any case, a 3D touchscreen would be a rather bizarre experience.

14. ShadowRunner

Veteran

Indeed, you could end up punching the stylus straight through the screen :lol:

15. DeadlyNinja

Veteran

This is not the first time Nintendo tried 3D. Remember the Virtual Boy? Nintendo has more experience than anyone when it comes to 3D tech.

[​IMG]

That said, this better be viewable in an outdoors environment with sunlight. Being able to SEE the graphics for a PORTABLE would be innovation enough for me.

#15 DeadlyNinja, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2010
  16. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

That's a bit of an exhaggeration.

17. 101998

Newcomer

there are a lot of ways to get 3d without glasses:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those are some pretty cheap examples, I am sure you could get better depth without the headache on a game engine.

18. DeadlyNinja

Veteran

I meant in the game hardware side of things.

19. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

That's no more "3D" than all the 3D games we've been playing for years... Or am i missing something?

20. Gubbi

Veteran

I'll bet It'll print money in 3D

Cheers