Nintendo 3DS Announced

That's no more "3D" than all the 3D games we've been playing for years... Or am i missing something?

There is perception of depth in the gif. Check out the still shot for comparison:

captureil.jpg

The .gif images are the kind of 3D Nintendo is talking about, I suspect. You will get depth in the screen but you are not going to see the image fly out of the display at your face.

It will use a autostereoscopic display

This technology is already out there in mobile phones like the Hitachi Wooo H001

In conjuction with face tracking it may be possible to detect which 'zone' the players eyes are currently in and invert the output to each eye accordingly in software, rather than having to have some type of dynamic lenticular lense system.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is perception of depth in the gif.

It's a moving cupcake (or whatever it is)... The movement gives it the impression of being 3D, like all 3D graphics we have been seeing in the last few years. :???: But it's not 3D in the sense that i 'see' depth...

It's a moving cupcake (or whatever it is)... The movement gives it the impression of being 3D, like all 3D graphics we have been seeing in the last few years. :???: But it's not 3D in the sense that i 'see' depth...

Yeah, you got a point there. It's like saying Parallax Mapping is 3D. It just gives the illusion of depth and not really 3D. We'll have to wait for more info to find out more about how the 3DS does 3D.

Yeah, you got a point there. It's like saying Parallax Mapping is 3D. It just gives the illusion of depth and not really 3D. We'll have to wait for more info to find out more about how the 3DS does 3D.

The news report one linked says they are going to use Sharp's naked eye 3D display system, that is, the good old bumpy-film-over-an-LCD system.

Given the nature of the DS, how do you think they will deal with the landscape/portrait issue?

These types of displays usually only work on one axis, right*? Assuming the eyes are left/right of the screen? (Or am I completely wrong? :yes:)
*diagonal axis?

I think there are some possible solutions. The basic design is horizontal only (basically, even vertical lines are directed to left eye and odd vertical lines are directed to right eye). However, I think it's possible to deisgn a matrix system, that is, in addition to the horizontal design, it also has a vertical design (even horizontal lines are directed to "up" and odd horizontal lines are directed to "down"). Therefore, when the axis is changed, it can still handle 3D.

This kind of system is probably not very good for current RGB strip displays. It'd be better for a RGB mosaic arrangement (e.g. Bayer pattern).

STOP shaking my monitor !!

I'd like to see a 3D camera to go with it. ^_^
It would be able to do similar VR apps to iPhone Layar, PSP Invizimal, etc.

I expected Sony to bring out PSP2 with 3D first, but Nintendo lept ahead. Well played !

there are a lot of ways to get 3d without glasses:

1268587539844.gif

1268513757911.gif

Those are some pretty cheap examples, I am sure you could get better depth without the headache on a game engine.

I too was hoping PSP2 would be 3D. I hope this doesnt affect Sony's decision, unless it forces their hand to do it.

I don't see Nintendo using an expensive LCD and neither does arstechnica. They feel cost is what made DS a success, so they won't do it that way. They'll probably do it via eye-tracking.

And given Nintendo claims the point of the DSi XL was to let people watch you play, and those 3D LCDs are only viewable from a small angle, using one of those LCDs conflicts with their recent design decisions.

I'm really surprised Nintendo decided to pull a Sega. The DSi has only been out for how long?

This is not the first time Nintendo tried 3D. Remember the Virtual Boy? Nintendo has more experience than anyone when it comes to 3D tech.

I remember the virtual boy sucking, and blinding people. Yes Nintendo has some experience but is it good experience?

I don't see Nintendo using an expensive LCD and neither does arstechnica. They feel cost is what made DS a success, so they won't do it that way. They'll probably do it via eye-tracking.

A parallax barrier display is not costly to make though. It's just another film over the color filter, after all.

True, but wouldnt that ruin BC? You cant turn the film off

You can just use a higher resolution LCD (e.g. twice horizontal resolution) and display the same picture for both eyes. With NDS's resolution, it's not going to be very expensive.

I certianly welcome 3d with no glasses. However not sure how I feel about another new ds. This better bring some form of graphical leap even if it is just to gamecube level. I've grown tired of both handhelds (psp , ds) I just don't have the time to experiance these things as when I'm home I rather play on my consoles or pc and when I travel I'm normaly driving.

WTF am I kidding. I will have one of these day one just like with a new psp. But I do hope they have a DD only verison and that it has long battery life.

I remember the virtual boy sucking, and blinding people. Yes Nintendo has some experience but is it good experience?

You're gonna fall down a lot when you first learn to walk. Nintendo definitely learned a lesson from the virtual boy, and they've been secretly working on 3D for years now. It was only recently revealed that the Gamecube actually had 3D capabilities secretly built into it.

BTW, what about all those Tegra 2 rumors? They seem to have died down quite a bit. Anyone care to take a stab (or leak) what they might be using? Any internal rumblings and rumors on the GPU? It would be freaking hilarious if the 3DS GPU is a shrunken down Flipper considering they revealed the GC had 3D capabilities.

You're gonna fall down a lot when you first learn to walk. Nintendo definitely learned a lesson from the virtual boy, and they've been secretly working on 3D for years now. It was only recently revealed that the Gamecube actually had 3D capabilities secretly built into it.

BTW, what about all those Tegra 2 rumors? They seem to have died down quite a bit. Anyone care to take a stab (or leak) what they might be using? Any internal rumblings and rumors on the GPU? It would be freaking hilarious if the 3DS GPU is a shrunken down Flipper considering they revealed the GC had 3D capabilities.

I wonder at this point if the gamecube on 28nm (should be ready in 2011) would be small enough and power efficent enough as a mobile platform ?

Back