Nintendo 3DS Announced

Would you greenlight a 5M$ 3DS game for Fall 2011 release, "safely assuming" that the userbase will be big enough to absorb 700k+ copies?
I would. I think any top tech from this major players can expect a coupleof million units fairly early on irrepsective of later success or failure. 3DS isn't like a Gizmondo or a Jungle, just as PS3 wasn't a Phantom and any developer targeting release could expect a healthy million-strong install base wanting some AAA title to play. If you can design a compelling 'killer app' then the early adopters can be very lucrative, before all the competition moves in. Whether 3DS does well in the long run is a different matter, as competition in the handheld space has changed dramatically from what Nintendo has been used to. They still have their software advantage, but will that be enough to attract massive sales of another handheld, or will Joe Public look to Professor Layton and Nintendog clones on their iOS or Android devices?

3DS may be different from DS.

I wonder if the 3D screen is suitable for kids under 6. The bigger 3DTV sets all have obligatory "Not suitable for young children and pregnant women" warning.

I noticed DS and GBA are played by my friends' kids as young as 4-5.

Heh heh, usually I'd post some sort of summary on the linked content. Felt wrong to just link it.

I saw Ocarina of Time. Played the one Nintendo bundled with WindWaker (I think). I gave up early because it seemed like a time consuming game. If I get a 3DS, I'd certainly give it another go.

USA Today interviews Shigeru:
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2010/11/qa-mario-creator-shigeru-miyamoto/1

Q: So I assume we have not seen the last of Mario. Can you say anything about his future adventures on the Wii or Nintendo 3DS?

Of course, we are working on a Mario product for the Nintendo 3DS, I can tell you that. One of the things we have looked at, you know when you are in a 3D world but on a 2D screen it is difficult sometimes to tell distance, whether an object you are looking at is in the foreground, in the background, is the object above you? Sometimes it's a little bit harder. So it's going to be really exciting for us to make that easier for the player to understand using the Nintendo 3DS technology. And for the first time ever Mario will be on a handheld system with an analog stick for controls. That's new.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/24/nintendo_world_2011_named/

Nintendo previously shared high level details on its upcoming public 3DS demo event. Today, it got specific on the event that's now formally named "Nintendo World 2011."

Nintendo World will be held on 1/8, 1/9 and 1/10 in Hall 9 of the Makuhari Messe convention center just outside of Tokyo. Admission to the event will be free.

Details on the games that will be on display at the event will be announced later.

Nintendo World will be the public's first chance to sample the 3DS, which has previously only been available for play at trade events. The system is set for release on February 26.

Back