Nintendo 3DS Announced

patsu

Legend
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323e.pdf

Nintendo Co., Ltd.(Minami-ward of Kyoto-city, President Satoru Iwata) will launch “Nintendo 3DS”(temp) during the fiscal year ending March 2011, on which games can be enjoyed with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses.

“Nintendo 3DS”(temp) is going to be the new portable game machine to succeed “Nintendo DS series”, whose cumulative consolidated sales from Nintendo amounted to 125million units as of the end of December 2009, and will include backward compatibility so that the software for Nintendo DS series, including the ones for Nintendo DSi, can also be enjoyed.

We are planning to announce additional details at E3 show, which is scheduled to be held from June 15, 2010 at Los Angeles in the U.S.

EDIT: Changed to English release.

There were some "naked eye 3D display" a few years ago. For example, Sharp released a few of them when 15" LCD were still very popular :)
The ability to change view point using accelerometer is also a possibility. However, it's still better to have different visual for each eye. It'd be even better to combine these two.
A camera for finding the player's eye position is also a possibility.

There are phones in japan that have no-glasses 3d screens aswell. From what ive seen feedback hasnt been too positive as there are still a lot of issues but id expect Nintendo to iron many of these out. The no-glasses screens depend on the user viewing the screen at a specific angle, this works for portable devices because you tend to hold them directly in front of you. I doubt this would work with motion tilting for instance. I believe screen reselution has to be significantly reduced also.

how can it be done?
So Last Season Technique :LOL::LOL:
TV manfacturers have been experimenting it for few years, have seen one demo in Barcelona a/v conference. Don't know exact details but its like small crystals or reflectors turning in proper angles. Problem is it looks good for one person in a sweet spot so don't expect to see in a family living rooms any time soon. Then we must apply an unknown lag issue in equation.

This technique could work better in handheld devices, a relative fixed viewing distance and angle and one player.

Well this came out of nowhere.

If this does use a genuine 3D display, then excellent. To me, 3D makes a lot more sense as the form factor gets smaller.

Nintendo really are odd sometimes. Announcing new hardware in a badly formatted, ugly, single page PDF.. I can't help wonder if this was accidental?

Some commenters speculate this it works like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5QSclrIdlE

I wouldn't think so. The press release quotes "enjoy 3D effects without the need for special glasses". Given that effect can already be achieved on a DSi without the need for 3D glasses, would suggest this is more complex.

A camera for finding the player's eye position is also a possibility.

That's my guess. Finding the eyes with an IR camera + light is pretty straight forward (cat eyes :mrgreen:). Pretty much the Wii 'sensor bar' but in human form.
Perhaps it's something really sneaky, like two direction filters on the the screen with ultra fast/precise movement mechanisms - so it dynamically adjusts for each eye? Just a wild guess. I wouldn't expect it's fixed, given the DS works in landscape/portrait.

There are full size TV panels that allow up to and over 16 viewing angles to 'work' for autostereoscopic 3D.

In any case, a 3D touchscreen would be a rather bizarre experience.

This is not the first time Nintendo tried 3D. Remember the Virtual Boy? Nintendo has more experience than anyone when it comes to 3D tech.

bhq9mvmvwupqqm265.png

That said, this better be viewable in an outdoors environment with sunlight. Being able to SEE the graphics for a PORTABLE would be innovation enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
there are a lot of ways to get 3d without glasses:

1268587539844.gif

1268513757911.gif

Those are some pretty cheap examples, I am sure you could get better depth without the headache on a game engine.

there are a lot of ways to get 3d without glasses:

1268587539844.gif

Those are some pretty cheap examples, I am sure you could get better depth without the headache on a game engine.

That's no more "3D" than all the 3D games we've been playing for years... Or am i missing something?

Back