Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo up on PSN

Exactly, being a demonstration of the game, it is likely that the full version will be the same in those regards.

That demo was given to journalists a long time before it was on PSN...and during the time with journalists such as IGN, it was revealed that they were starting to get the game running in 1080p.

It is highly reasonable to suppose that the demo on PSN remained on a previous lower resolution, since they wanted it to be clean and a good representation, while they worked on getting the game engine running well at 1080p.

Whereas your argument seems to run on emphasising linguistics...

Well, the output is 1920x1080@60fps.

Where can i read about the rendering is done in 960x1080, and then scaled horisontally? Is it done for cheap AA ?

It's FUD, you won't find anything about it. The devs said "full 1080p" and everyone knows that the 960x1080 scaling, if used would look like crap (see RBS:V 1080i discussions) and NGS looks fantastic.

Exactly, being a demonstration of the game, it is likely that the full version will be the same in those regards.
likely, but not surely. its possible they didn't quite achieve the performance at 1080p that they would have liked at the time they released the demo, so instead, just rendered it at 960x1080p for the demo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the full game. It's definitely not 1080p native. It is upscaled.

Anyway it still looks very good. In game has some jaggies sometimes. But the cut scenes look almost CG perfect. They probably went for 30fps + AA for the cut scenes.

I don't know why they had to make the game so extremely hard. Itagaki is obviously a sadist. The game would have more mainstream appear if it were not so ridiculously hard. And then the hard core players who wanted a challenge could just dial the difficultly up.

Maybe I am getting too old for this shit (28). I was able to beat the game. But I am sure my overall opinion of the game would actually be better if it was not so damn brutal and hadn't forced me to replay certain sections of the game over and over and over.

Some of the spacing between save point seems ridiculous. And considering this is like the 4rd release of the same game, you would think they would have gotten that kind of stuff ironed out. But from what I hear, they keep making the game harder with each iteration and keep tweaking the AI to make it more difficult.

Anyway it's still a really good game. I just don't under stand why they are intentionally putting this franchise into a box and not letting it be more casual friendly. I'm not advocating dumbing down the game. I'm just saying that in Ninja Dog mode, pretty much anyone should be able to beat it. And this game is so hard that even on the easiest mode that it is pretty much impossible to beat unless you are a pretty hard core gamer with a lot of patience not to mention dexterity. This is why God of War will always be so much more popular than Ninja Gaiden.

Photo comparison of the modes

720p
720plz7.png

1080p - ignore the fact it's a little fuzzier than the 720p shot. Look at the stairs to get an idea of the size of the rendered pixels
1080puw4.png

In game cut scene
img2944hj7.png

Same scene zoomed in a bit
img2945pu2.png

1080p - ignore the fact it's a little fuzzier than the 720p shot. Look at the stairs to get an idea of the size of the rendered pixels
I don't know if that's what you mean by size of the pixel, but it is easier to check line segmentation on the edge of the second step and it is exactly same as the 720p (good shots indeed).
That also means they are not using horizontal scaler. My vote is on software/RSX.

And regarding difficulty, I have been wondering that myself as well. Maybe they think, on easy the game turns to a boring button basher, especially with few enemies at once.

Not every game needs to be a cakewalk. Ninja Gaiden is hard but fair. It does not let you screw around a lot though and you need to focus on what you are doing unlike in many other "button mashers". There is room for easier games and there is room for Ninja Gaiden.

That demo was given to journalists a long time before it was on PSN...and during the time with journalists such as IGN, it was revealed that they were starting to get the game running in 1080p.

It is highly reasonable to suppose that the demo on PSN remained on a previous lower resolution, since they wanted it to be clean and a good representation, while they worked on getting the game engine running well at 1080p.

Whereas your argument seems to run on emphasising linguistics...
Nah, my argument is based on logic. As they couldn't keep the demo from loosing vsync at 960x1080 it is highly unlikely that they could ever manage to get the finsihed game running at playable framerates while pushing twice the pixels as the demo. Besideds, when has there ever been a demo rendered at a different resolution than the full game?

I don't know if that's what you mean by size of the pixel, but it is easier to check line segmentation on the edge of the second step and it is exactly same as the 720p (good shots indeed).
That also means they are not using horizontal scaler. My vote is on software/RSX.

And regarding difficulty, I have been wondering that myself as well. Maybe they think, on easy the game turns to a boring button basher, especially with few enemies at once.
It does look the same in those shots, but comparing with the demo the 1080 line output does show slightly higher resolution which looks like 960x1080 to me.

The game most certainly isn't rendered at 1920x1080 though, no matter how much some people want to belive it is.

Back