Ninja Gaiden 2

Two things strike me as odd, Itagaki was so incredibly bullish and proud over the graphics of his "Next project" before these images came out, saying that the game would be so good in every way that other devs would loose their will to work basically.

And these screens strike me as "bland", Another thing is that i was under the perception that Team Ninja was pretty much in controll of their products and projects so that they can release on the hardware on their choice, and i know Itagaki was very excited about the PS3.

If you are going to quote him, at least do it correctly

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ninja/itagaki-talks-motivation-cabbage-267005.php

I'd like to show everybody some of the new stuff that we've been working on in the near future. The only problem with that is that when the other developers see what we're doing, they're going to lose all of their motivation to create any game in the same genre, because there's no way they can beat it.

:LOL: Itagaki always has the best speeches. I can respect his comments on the # of enemies.

Does this mark the first time a console maker is publishing a game from a 3rd party that has the helms to do it's own publishing?

Does this mark the first time a console maker is publishing a game from a 3rd party that has the helms to do it's own publishing?

I think this is Microsoft's way of rewarding Itagaki for being one of the first to place faith in the Xbox brand and since NG2 is a first party title now, it will definitely get the budget, marketing, etc, it deserves. I'm sure Microsoft will put more money behind in contrast to what Tecmo would have done.

Itagaki was so incredibly bullish and proud over the graphics...

...i know Itagaki was very excited about the PS3.

Personally, I'm disappointed in the graphics shown thus far, but a few tweaks could change the look drastically. Model/geometry wise, they look great. I'm sure the animation will be near perfect as well. Just a matter of lighting, shadow, and potentially, introducing these guys (Team Ninja) to a few filters.

Itagaki, was very "meh" with ps3. Eventually, he pushed the NG porting off onto his protoge who did a great job with NGS.

I hope Itagaki realizes there is more potential in the box than just throwing a few million more polys at the screen with higher res, but if not, I'll still look forward to NG2. NG was such an awesome game and I hope NG2 can extend the same experience moving forward. Hopefully, less "fiends" and more Ninjas/military.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things strike me as odd, Itagaki was so incredibly bullish and proud over the graphics of his "Next project" before these images came out, saying that the game would be so good in every way that other devs would loose their will to work basically.

Actually he never even mentioned graphics. He said when devs saw 'what we were doing' they would lose faith in developing games in the genre.

So he's referring to gameplay more than anything it appears.

Ok, i'm taking alot of flak here, some deserved most likely. I didn't get the quote from IGN or an internet source but from an article in GameReactor, a swedish magazine. In the piece he voiced his opinion (i don't have the magazine anymore so i can't be exact) about Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and he said something along the lines of "We develop our games on the most powerfull platforms, and we have decided that we will bring Ninja Gaiden to PS3 because it IS one of the most powerfull consoles this gen" or something like that.

His other quote about developers loosing interest to work with games anymore because of his next game i simply assumed he was talking about Ninja Gaiden 2, as it hadn't been made public at the time i read the piece.

"We develop our games on the most powerfull platforms, and we have decided that we will bring Ninja Gaiden to PS3 because it IS one of the most powerfull consoles this gen"

And you took that to mean a compliment? 'One of the most' when you are talking about 3 and one of the others is the Wii, doesn't really sound like all that much of a compliment in terms of power.

I'm guessing MS is pressing this into its fold so they can promote a NG2 vs GoW3 battle in 2008. NG certainly was an amazing game which far too few people played, so this is a really positive way to get visibility those that may otherwise have let it slip under their radar.

His other quote about developers loosing interest to work with games anymore because of his next game i simply assumed he was talking about Ninja Gaiden 2, as it hadn't been made public at the time i read the piece.

I think he was talking about NG2 when he made that statement. What people are pointing out is that when he refers to the effect of "seeing' the game it isn't necessarily something that is going to be evident in screen shots.

An analogy might be a member of a sports team prior to the season saying, "Once the other teams see us play they will all just forfeit the rest of the season." And then someone taking photographs of them practicing and pointing out how their formations and players look the same as some other team so their team is nothing special.

Not that I consider that quote itself anything more than typical Itagaki bravado.

I'm really happy about this finally being official. NG was one of my favorites last gen and a game I still enjoy even now.

I expect a masterpiece and hopefully with the apparent noob crutches more people will be able to enjoy it this time. I was the only one among my friends who had the will to stick with the game when it was tough to finally become competent enough to fully enjoy the game.

Edit: Just saw the product details page at Xbox.com and it is supposed to be 30hrs! Anyone want to estimate how many gallons of virtual blood is going to be spilled in those 30 hrs?

Not too impressive.

Team Ninja seems to have tapped out. They could do amazing games on the Xbox, but cant seem to improve the visuals much this gen. Maybe it has something to do with the particular style they have.

I agree but only to an extent. part of the problem is HD graphics. they take A LOT of resources (CPU, GPU, RAM) just to get to HD resolutions before the developer even starts to improve the actual graphics. This is something we've seen time and time again with current-gen Xbox360 and PS3 games.

the video is CG but one question:

when will we be able to play in real time with those gorgeous graphic?

in 3-4 years on the next generation Xbox ? ;)

I'm guessing MS is pressing this into its fold so they can promote a NG2 vs GoW3 battle in 2008.

Nah, God of War is one of Sonys most (if not *the*most) powerful 1st party franchises.
If it was coming out in 2008, we'd be seeing as much of it as we're seeing of FF13/GT5..which are both coming 4th quarter 2008.
Plus God of War 1 and 2 have both come out in the spring, no?

Nah, God of War is one of Sonys most (if not *the*most) powerful 1st party franchises.
If it was coming out in 2008, we'd be seeing as much of it as we're seeing of FF13/GT5..which are both coming 4th quarter 2008.
Plus God of War 1 and 2 have both come out in the spring, no?
i'd say GT is Sony's most powerful 1st party franchise, its one of the best selling series of all time selling over 40m worldwide (GT1-4).

but i do agree, i think we probably won't see God of War 3 until 2009.

It looks pretty good on my book :)
Does anyone know if they are planning 60 fps on this title?
It would look really fluid on the decapitations!

Not even close.

You should check the sales figures, GoW hasn't really sold that many copies, and pales in comparison to FF, GT or GTA.

There's actually something like 50 titles that outsold God of War.
http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=&console=PS2&publisher=&sort=Total

I'm not sure how GoW2 sold, but I know it only did about 800k in it's first month in the US.

Well, he does say "first party franchises," and on that list it seems the only ones that rank around the same or higher (way higher, in GT's case) are GT, SOCOM, and--if you want to count it--Eye Toy: Play. (It was the initial pack-in, and none of the other Eye Toy titles show up on the list as support.)

It's not to say they don't give their all to promote all the second- and third-party titles that have traditionally been exclusive and remain so (even if just timed, nowadays), but it behooves them to push to a higher "ratio"--if you will--their first-party titles.

Back