Next Object of Desire

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
It was about time that the annual PDA/SmartPhone upgrade happened, and O2 / HTC has answered the calling nicely...
7288631217452618.JPG

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/4229.html
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000777057087/

It will be mine, oh yes, it will!

I really liked the Sony PDA they released about 2 years ago with the flipping/twisting screen/lid, it was extremely nice except for that it ran palmos... Don't really fancy that all that much.

This one you show doesn't look any special to me. What's so great about it?

Guden Oden said:
This one you show doesn't look any special to me. What's so great about it?

It has roughly every feature you could possibly have at the moment on a PDA/SmartPhone. Connectivity wise we have IR, BlueTooth, Wi-Fi, GPRS and G3; Phone wise we have Triband and 3G connections; the OS is the latest Pocket PC 2005/Smartphone, which includes push email and other additions such as Word/Excel being able to take native Word and Excel files and functionality (rather than converting them down and removing graphs and images). The biggest upgrade, though, that is has over my current XDA IIs is the resolution is now up to VGA 480x640/640x480, and these screens really do look great in comparison to the previous versions.

The design is prety cool as well - even with the clamshell fully closed (so the screen is facing the keyboard) it can still be used as a phone as there is a speaker in both sides, and for when the thing is being used in "laptop" mode they've even gone to the lengths of including stereo speakers!

That reminds me a lot of the sharp SLC-750/760 that came out a couple of years ago which ran linux. Same screen resolution, keyboard, pivoting and folding display, etc. Seems the styling is a little more chic though. :smile:

Nite_Hawk

digitalwanderer said:
Well I'm in love, it has a keyboard!!!! :D

That's worth gold! I used to have a Nokia 5510, which may be a bit big for a cell phone, but I loved it because of the full qwerty keyboard. Helluva fast to type SMS on.

Humus said:
That's worth gold! I used to have a Nokia 5510, which may be a bit big for a cell phone, but I loved it because of the full qwerty keyboard. Helluva fast to type SMS on.
Yup, that's what I was thinking...I could actually USE the keyboard on this one I'll bet as it looks like they're actually keys and not just a presspad or something.

I'm enthused, it looks all "Star Trek"-ish to me...I don't get that feeling as much as I used to. :cool:

Feature wise that thing is the sweetest phone I have ever seen. At almost 300 grams it's too big for me, though. Personally, if I'm going to have to carry a bag, then I might as well carry a laptop. Just got a good deal on a Nokia 6681 (£150 +VAT incl. shipping and a 512MB RS-DV MMC, no contract) and that's just about my size limit for a phone.

Granted that’s probably a matter of both requirements and preference, and if I saw someone brandishing such a ‘beast’ in real life I’d probably go green with envy… :cool:

Dave Baumann said:
It was about time that the annual PDA/SmartPhone upgrade happened, and O2 / HTC has answered the calling nicely...

It will be mine, oh yes, it will!

Can I have your XDA2s then? Give you, ooh, a graphics card for it :D

AlphaWolf said:
~500 euros with a subscription, ~750 without is what I have seen. It's europe only I think.
The unit is made by HTC, so lots of carriers pick them up. I've seen networks that are available in the US use HTC's previous PDA/Smartphone solutions.

Because I'm on a "I spend shitsloads of time on my mobile" tariff, I'll probably end up getting it for about £150.

Back