Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by TheAlSpark, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

The way I see it is that MS wants to cover all customer profiles. Those willing to pay less and those willing to pay more.
    The hyprid cheaper console might be able to provide the same experience as the expensive one for those that have the internet that can support it.
    On the other hand I wonder if the hyprid will provide an experience equal to PS5 while the more expensive will be assisted also by hyprid streaming immediately or later to outperform the PS5.
    The first sounds like a more achievable and less complicated solution.

edit: I dont know how Sony will provide a similar offer I dont see them having the infrastructure (and if they rent it will be more expensive for them). MS is literally thinking out of the box or at least they have the means to expand faster than Sony does. Ken Kutaragi once envisioned the Playstation becoming a service that can be provided by other media devices. But MS seems more capable and managed to even expand on competitive platforms which is a very powerful strategy. I dont know how can Sony compete the PC space and the console space simultaneously. Game pass and streaming won't just be on consoles. It will become a PC, TV and mobile service.
    PS Now has been a mediocre experience and market performer. Maybe they will revamp it during the PS5 announcement. But if they continue like this it will be evaporated l

#881 Nesh, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

The hybrid solution would be one heck of a gamble at this point though without the market being tested first. The tech hasn't even been rolled out for field evaluation! Worst case, there's an expensive console very few buy because it costs so much, and a cheap console no-one buys because the hybrid streaming doesn't work as well as hoped and they want the responsive experience of a proper console. If I were in charge, I'd want a 'normal' option, a normally priced console to serve the normal market. It wouldn't have to win as that's a tall ask, but it'd be wanted to shore up XB fans for the next five years of transition to Live as a gaming platform on any device, by which point MS would want tens of millions of PC owners locked in. That's worth way more for them and where I expect their console hardware choices to be determined, in serving that goal.

snc likes this.
  3. seahorsesaw

Newcomer

Yes, it's called the Schrodinger (X)Box. It's both a Playstation and Xbox depending on when and how it is observed.

HBRU, Nesh, turkey and 2 others like this.
  4. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

It would appear as though Thurrott and myself are on similar wavelengths, but coming at the same solution from different angles. He has more connections than I do here, so his take is likely the correct one here.
    https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/200140/microsofts-evolving-gaming-strategy-takes-a-giant-step-forward#

An interesting thing happening here because, Xbox binaries come with compressed audio and PC binaries usually come with uncompressed audio, thus the large install file sizes.

DavidGraham and AzBat like this.
  5. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

There's a few things I wouldn't mind hearing about in build 2019 regarding OS side of things :
    One core
    C shell
    Game OS
    UWP progress and road map
    Intelligent delivery coming to pc
    Fast start coming to pc
    Win store

XO is a custom win 10 system.
    Next gen and Windows will not be like that, will be modular based, and Xbox modules will be shared with win 10.

6. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Just listened to brads video.
    He's really hyped about it like it's going to expand the Xbox ecosystem and make it easier for devs thereby explosion of games and market share.

The problem is that isn't the reason people didn't play games from windows store.
    Build should be interesting none the less

Edit :
    Xbox gamepass comes to pc, play XO versions of your games on pc

#886 Jay, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  7. turkey

Regular Newcomer

A friend of a friend's dog told me that was because they are time slicing the GPU again for Kinect 3 :yes:

function likes this.
  8. chris1515

Veteran Regular

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...ces-spicing-2019.91830/page-213#post-18292022

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...ces-spicing-2019.91830/page-213#post-18292757

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...ces-spicing-2019.91830/page-213#post-18293886

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...ces-spicing-2019.91830/page-213#post-18294050

On resetera, Albert Penello who retired from MS a few months ago, gives some very interesting information about console launch and he gives some hints about Sony and MS choosing AMD and the approximative size of console APU 350 mm2 and en eventual 1080p console next gen

EDIT: This is the second time he explains the problem of HDD 2,5 and BR drive with less economy of scale because consoles are nearly the only place where they are used and probably the reason of the SSD choice and a sku without BR.

#888 chris1515, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Heinrich4 and iroboto like this.
  9. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

I can’t beleive there is some guy still chasing him about Scorpio being a response to 4Pro and having 18 months lead time.

Goodness. Yea, let’s re-vector the whole thing based upon a random unverified pastebin.

Albert provides a lot of good information and should keep most people more grounded about what’s coming.

There was a question that if everything is locked up so early how do you ensure you can beat your competitor in power?

Lol. You don’t. There are no guarantees. This is business.

And at the very least, with MS specs being leaked out everywhere, how come Sony can’t respond to these “credible” leaks and build a stronger console for next gen? For some reason only MS is allowed this line of reasoning.

Anyway, I digress.

Imo With limited silicon you need hardware accelerators, not more flexible compute. Team hardware RT.

AzBat and BRiT like this.
  10. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

JeuxVideo details the possible specs of the next generation of Xbox consoles.
    [​IMG]

They would be shown at E3 2019.

11. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Personally I don’t see MS investing in 2 different Tflop level skus.

One performant sku. One streaming sku.

A high priced performant sku that will serve the gaming market and anyone in the need of Azure cloud GPU features. Since the hardware will be shared across businesses and be part of multiple revenue streams outside of gaming, it makes it easier to drive up unit volumes. Thus, allowing way more users (Anaconda users, Lockhart users and Azure users) to help drive down BOM.

One streaming sku that’s probably ARM based with a tad bit of memory to handle mobile type media apps like Netflix or Hulu. I see MS selling it for $150-$180 dollars with a year’s worth of Live and Game Pass included.

Streaming can act as an extender of performant sku with the ability streaming locally or stream from the cloud if main console is in use.

It’s ultimately one device powering the graphics of the next gen Xbox market. It’s more about segmenting just the userbase versus segmenting the userbase as well as the hardware base.

#891 dobwal, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  12. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

He did mention that supposed one year delay of PS5 launch could lead to spec changes, maybe in the realm of a slight clock bump. But the main thing is we don't know the price and performance target Sony has set out at the beginning, common logic tells me Sony wanted a $399 console and be content with 10 TF but the hopeful side tells me they wanted at least twice Scorpio tflops and be more bold with a $449-$499 launch.

Heinrich4 likes this.
  13. Metal_Spirit

Regular Newcomer

I would also prefer the Bold option. 10 Tflops seems like a very small generational jump given the specs of the One X. In terms of Marketing, something bellow 12 Tflops can just seem lie very little. Regardless of the results produced, 10 Tflops would seem like a 66% jump from previous generation, and if Microsoft manages 100%, they would shure promote that. And I bet that would be a very efecctive marketing weapon.

lefantome and Heinrich4 like this.
  14. fehu

Veteran Regular

What about "20TF*" ?

*half precision

milk likes this.
  15. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

*nudge*

It'd be nice to have a decent tech discussion instead of wishlists over and over again like riding the village flopcycle.

So are we looking at:

Navi ALU (as in the patent) = 2 MUL + ADD (3 flops per ALU)
    GCN ALU = MADD (2 flops)

I believe the patent also goes into the number of tex units per unit as well, though my brain isn't quite fully operational buttAl station this morning.

ergo, a compute unit

GCN CU = 4 x (16 x MADD)
    NaviCU = 4 x 16 x (2 MUL + 1 ADD)

#895 TheAlSpark, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Heinrich4 likes this.
  16. Heinrich4

Regular

Ahamm ( 10TFlops FP32 and 40 Tflops ML ;) ...)

17. DrJay24

Veteran

You think a TF number is a marketing weapon? I think the games will sell the system, not technical specs. Most people don't know what a TF is.

milk likes this.
  18. fehu

Veteran Regular

And many people don't know what ram is, or what frequency means.
    A bigger number is a bigger number.

Cue moderator's hammer.

lefantome likes this.
  19. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

And that's why next gen play station will be PS5. 5>4. That's all they need. Notice One < 360, thus the low sales. Big mistake.

Michellstar and London Geezer like this.
  20. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

on the other hand if you sort something alphabetically the ones starting with number come first, and since the numbers are ordered from smallest to biggest, we can assume same goes for letters, which means One > 360 o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.