Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [pre E3 2019]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by TheAlSpark, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

Burning a couple of more watts is not going to kill any kind of system budget. The biggest impediment would be yield or cost for the higher binned modules.

2. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Samsung said their 20gbps test was bypassing the actual dram, because current process cannot yield a fast enough dram array. Not even for a test chip. So they only tested the interface.

Maybe 18gbps needs to wait for process improvements to get a reasonable percentage of chips passing that speed.

function and BRiT like this.
  3. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

-nevermind, misread-

4. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Invest in ECC. :V

function, Kaotik and Tkumpathenurpahl like this.
  5. rokkerkory

Regular Newcomer

Do you guys think the bare min will be 16GB for next-gen lower end models or will it match X's 12GB? Obviously the speed/bandwidth will be faster than the X.

6. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

Ok, this is tricky. They actually didn't announce the mass production of 18Gbps GDDR6 in January 2018. They only announced mass producing 16-Gigabit GDDR6 and only talked about 18Gbps speeds available eventually.

That's their actual announcement:
    And then in the article they talk about the max available speed [eventually available].

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...6-gigabit-gddr6-for-advanced-graphics-systems

The anandtech author (and everybody else) got tricked by the dubious wording. But I think they actually started mass producing those speeds relatively recently, I read an article about it, but I can't find the source anymore.

#726 Globalisateur, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    BRiT and function like this.
  7. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Such optimism :V

bye

vipa899 likes this.
  8. MrFox

Legend Veteran

AlBran is trying to tell us something...

Don't break nda, we can figure it out!

Heinrich4 and milk like this.
  9. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Thanks for clearing that up!

10. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

It may be more complicated than optimum power/performance since using the same chiplet also gets them a major bidding competitor: AMD's own much more lucrative products.
    A chiplet that performs well at low power could go into semi-custom products that might be in the teens for margins, or go into a server SKU that sells for an order (orders?) of magnitude more.

So maybe they can buy the most mediocre-clocked ones that are just okay for power?

It looks like half of Vega20's area is everything but graphics, so a good chunk of xGMI, infinity fabric, and high-end controllers could be removed.
    If the GPU's are backwards-compatible at a hardware level to the Sea Islands architecture--and the customized ones in the consoles in particular, it might have an area cost that Vega 20 didn't have.

That looks like an expensive lateral move. The amount of bandwidth cannot significantly change for consistency reasons, but the standards likely don't behave identically in ways that may cause games to diverge in performance between consoles. At least for mainline consoles, the core elements are something the vendor has to commit to.

11. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

... so you're confirming 16 GB on a 256-bit bus, clocked at 14 gb/pin, so they can match clocks with dev kits running with more memory in clamshell mode?

Right, I'm off to the bookies!

12. MrFox

Legend Veteran

Yeah I'm having too much fun "exploring" fringe possibilities, but before the crazy leak talk, most predictions have been narrowing it down to almost a concensus somewhere around 10TF and 16GB/256bit.

It seems to be at a nice "knee" of the diminishing returns from raising the BOM. Anything more gets expensive really fast for not much more performance. And anything less means next gen isn't exactly worth spending hundreds of millions developping a new platform.

But... We also thought 8GB for the ps4 would be too expensive, so I don't know if such a surprise is possible again.

(the reason something is a surprise is because the chances were slim)

#732 MrFox, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    vipa899 likes this.
  13. shiznit

Regular Newcomer

Let's remember that current gen came in at low-mid PC specs of the time, with the exception of a relatively large pool of memory enabled by low pricing which may not be as favorable again (and MS still dropped the ball). This time we're getting lucky with the CPU chiplet but I wouldn't expect an expensive GPU/RAM combo.

Heinrich4 likes this.
  14. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

PS4 GPU was between a 7850 and 7870. That’s not low-mid. Only enthusiast GPUs were above it (7950, 7970).

The rumored forthcoming Navi 10 and Navi 12 are in that tier, with Navi 20 to follow later.

chris1515 and BRiT like this.
  15. shiznit

Regular Newcomer

290x (and 780 Ti) came out in the same month. Plus the massive CPU deficit.

Heinrich4 and vipa899 like this.
  16. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

And a lag of some features is to be expected given when the design is finalized. I don’t think anyone would dispute the CPU claim, which is why I didn’t address it. I also don’t think anyone would dispute that Zen 2 should be a huge leap forward, and actually relevant to current desktop CPU performance.

17. shiznit

Regular Newcomer

Let's assume $400-450 is the price target. Let's also assume that 350mm of 7nm die in 2020 likely costs more than 350mm of 28nm in 2013. You may be able to balance that by decoupling and binning the CPU chiplet, which also improves yield on the GPU die. Vega 20 is 330mm without the chiplet IF link a console version would need. Without density improvements on Navi, at best you're looking at 75% of Vega 20 die size, and 75% of the frequency (< 150W console TDP). That could be < 8 TFLOPS, and definitely < 10.

I'm not even factoring in the larger memory costs, or the need for NAND.

Heinrich4 and vipa899 like this.
  18. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

The memory costs won’t be larger if they only go with 16GB.

19. msia2k75

Regular Newcomer

I follow your line of reasoning, but, sincerely, if Sony releases a lower than 8tf next-gen machine, next year.... then better not releasing anything imo.

Heinrich4 likes this.
  20. Barrabas

Newcomer

Looking at the latest consoles from Sony and MS (PS4>PS4 Pro> ONE X) you get 30-35 % increase in TFLOPS each year. I just cant see going from ONE X 6 TFLOPS to 8 TFLOPS in 2-2,5 years. I think we will see 10+.

Heinrich4 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.