Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Tkumpathenurpahl, Jan 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bitsandbytes

Newcomer

I haven't followed the in's and out's of this story over the years (the article links to a OCP article from over 2 years ago) but the following two paragraphs is what intrigue me which involve PS5 directly (if true)

If true then 2/3rds of RTG working on PS5 would explain why Raja did what he did with Polaris and why they haven't brought a new proper high-end GPU out for so long?

I'm sure not everything here is true but there isn't smoke without some fire too.

2. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Strange if thats happening in a growing pc gaming market. Pc gaming never has been as big as its now.
    Current gen can exist longer cause hardware doesnt advance as fast as in previous gens (ps2, ps3). Games still look nice 2018 on 2013 pc and console hardware.

3. dobwal

Veteran

The growth of PC gaming doesn’t change the fact that gpu design is not simply focused just on graphics anymore.

4. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

5. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Nah, that'd certainly impact Xbox One X sales. The question is did he get it wrong, or was he just wrong to say it?

6. SedentaryJourney

Regular

Time will tell. Microsoft are definitely trying to walk back the story citing a misunderstanding/mistranslation, and yet they're also chiefly responsible for a lot of the next gen noise this E3.

I get the feeling that they may actually be ahead of Sony in designing their next gen console and could potentially launch something in late 2019. Sony don't have the same pressing need to reset the generation so they can push their launch out til 2020/2021.

The only thing that isn't consistent with this theory is launching in 2019 with a Vega based console would basically kill any chance of MS retaining its performance lead for the launch phase of next gen, and Microsoft made a very strong promise during their press conference to retaining that advantage.

DSoup likes this.
  7. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I don't think Microsoft said anything that anybody who understands how consoles are researched, spec'd, designed and produced, didn't already know.

I doubt Microsoft's process differs great to Sony, who have explained a bunch on a few occasions (most recently Mark Cerny's 'The road to PS4' presentation at Gamelabs 2013) that research of the next-next-gen console begins before the next-gen console has actually launched, i.e. Sony began research for PS4 before PS3 was even on the market. Because even then they can seek a lot of dev feedback as devs will have been working on hardware (or target hardware) for a year or more.

Why did Phil Spencer say what he said? Only Phil Spencer knows. He does have a reputation for 'firing from the hip'.

8. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Yep

[​IMG]

Tommy McClain

ToTTenTranz, Shortbread and DSoup like this.
  9. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

My guess would be 2019 = xbox one x s . A smaller xbox one x with cost reductions in it.

10. Esrever

Regular Newcomer

the xbox one x is already small tho

11. turkey

Regular Newcomer

I would think that's a branding nightmare, I would assume they cost reduce but no name change or fanfare. I am not sure I see a redesign either, it's already small. Reducing the complexity of the cooling and hovis method as well as a cheaper Apu would be good for them. if they shrink the case it probably errodes these savings when the console is already small.

AzBat likes this.
  12. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

If you watch the next days episode of Inside Xbox where they talk with Phil Spencer, you will hear exactly why he touched upon next-gen development.

I think it was Monday, June 11th episode near the end.

#1552 BRiT, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  13. bitsandbytes

Newcomer

To clarify you mean tomorrow (14th)? Sounds intriguing.

14. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

I think it was Monday, June 11th. Its near the end of the episode from what I remember. Will try to fins it again when I get the time.

15. bitsandbytes

Newcomer

I found the video BRiT. He doesn't really say much. Just that he wanted to let the console fans know that consoles are important to them and another console is coming and that it being the most powerful is important to him/them.

Not sure that would warrant him saying that so publicly at E3 this year if it is really far off? Very odd!

16. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

What I heard or took from it, in addition to what you said, is also … Despite all the nifty video streaming and others saying consoles will no longer exist, that MS still values consoles and the console experience enough to continue developing them.

Lalaland, Xbat, AzBat and 1 other person like this.
  17. rokkerkory

Regular Newcomer

PS5 to have discrete Navi GPU?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...nys-playstation-5-vega-suffered/#60a34a7824fd

#1557 rokkerkory, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  18. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

[​IMG]

DSoup and AlBran like this.
  19. bitsandbytes

Newcomer

Do you think there is much/any truth to the story, Shortbread?

20. SedentaryJourney

Regular

It looks like there are two camps this E3. There are the companies who are eager to get the conversation about next gen started right now. Bethesda announced two next gen titles; Microsoft showed off a potential cross gen Halo, confirmed that they're far along in the design of an Xbox one successor, and closed out their conference with Cyberpunk 2077 which is confirmed cross-gen.

Then there's EA, Ubisoft, and Sony who are trying to keep the genie in the bottle. None of their conferences made any mention of next gen, even though I think BGE2 is definitely next gen exclusive.