Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
he price of a RTX 2070 means it not a mid range GPU. To me at least. Bloody thing cost what a high end card cost when PS4 came out.

Yes they are too expensive for what you get, its a 2018 mid-range GPU. Ram and GPU prices are way too high now, wonder if that affects console manufacturers too?

Its mid-range in performance for a 2018 released new architecture GPU. With the top end being at 14TF, the 2070 does about half that. No difference with PS4's 7870 level of performance for its time.
By no means would i personally call the 2070 a monster two years away from now.

What does play a bigger role for gaming, CPU or GPU, i mean what should they spend the most on?

I'm no expert, I just know that people saying '2x the X isn't enough for next gen' are wrong!

From what I can gather the CPUs this gen are holding devs (and game development) back. Having a more powerful CPU will obviously help with that. Also (from what I can gather) it's about getting the balance right, it's no good having too much power in one area. Then of course there has to be adequate RAM and bandwidth. I suppose (if I were to boil down your original question), in a PC you probably spend more on the GPU, but my comment was more about how weak this generations CPUs are compared to what is likely in next gen consoles.

Anyway, the other factor is that the TF number is just one factor of the GPU - there will be other improvements, along with potential tweaks that Sony/MS will have made for specific tasks.

Anyway, I'm well out of my depth here...*runs away*

advances in GPU would be more significant than CPU (provided all this arrives for next gen)

Mesh Shaders are different from draw calls, so, removing CPU there (nvidia only)
GPU side dispatch save on CPU as well, looking at culling etc. (exists already, but not supported due to AMD and PS4 not having it)
Physics and all that modelling can be done on GPU, and if available tensor cores. (maybe available for all)

Next gen should be very GPU heavy, there's no reason to rebalance it in favour of more CPU.

advances in GPU would be more significant than CPU (provided all this arrives for next gen)

Mesh Shaders are different from draw calls, so, removing CPU there (nvidia only)
GPU side dispatch save on CPU as well, looking at culling etc. (exists already, but not supported due to AMD and PS4 not having it)
Physics and all that modelling can be done on GPU, and if available tensor cores. (maybe available for all)

Next gen should be very GPU heavy, there's no reason to rebalance it in favour of more CPU.

Interesting, so you think next gen will launch with similar 'weak' CPU like they did this gen? If so does than mean another gen of 30fps/frame drops? I'm disappointed, I was hopeful of a good CPU upgrade.

Correct me if I am wrong but when you talk about balance are you talking about allocated die space for each?
For instance, the PS4 has significantly more die space allocated for the GPU than the CPU. But in the several months old Digital Foundry video about the possible hardware in Sony's next-gen machine, they said something to the effect of a Ryzen CPU could potentially be as small as the PS4 Jaguar

Or are you not talking about things such as die space and more the overall design and intention of the system? Like the PS3 was heavily CPU focused.

Correct me if I am wrong but when you talk about balance are you talking about allocated die space for each?
For instance, the PS4 has significantly more die space allocated for the GPU than the CPU. But in the several months old Digital Foundry video about the possible hardware in Sony's next-gen machine, they said something to the effect of a Ryzen CPU could potentially be as small as the PS4 Jaguar

Or are you not talking about things such as die space and more the overall design and intention of the system? Like the PS3 was heavily CPU focused.
correct die space.

Interesting, so you think next gen will launch with similar 'weak' CPU like they did this gen? If so does than mean another gen of 30fps/frame drops? I'm disappointed, I was hopeful of a good CPU upgrade.
not necessarily. We use the CPU a lot today for a variety of graphically related tasks. And as we move away from that, the CPU frees up to do other things.
I believe it will be a Ryzen CPU, but I don't see them allocating more silicon die space to it than GPU space in accordance to ratios of this generation.

You've not seen a GPU driven title, or we've not seen one with mesh shaders either. Believe me when I say this, graphics code eats up a majority of CPU.

not necessarily. We use the CPU a lot today for a variety of graphically related tasks. And as we move away from that, the CPU frees up to do other things.
I believe it will be a Ryzen CPU, but I don't see them allocating more silicon die space to it than GPU space in accordance to ratios of this generation.

You've not seen a GPU driven title, or we've not seen one with mesh shaders either. Believe me when I say this, graphics code eats up a majority of CPU.

Yeah, I can understand that. So more gets shifted over to the GPU freeing up the CPU to do the CPU specific tasks. I guess because at the moment the CPU 'TF' is so low then the effect of moving these tasks over to the GPU has a much more positive effect on CPU than negative effect on the GPU? So the efficiencies/added features on GPU are going to be the biggest gain next gen. I guess the bandwidth and RAM is the potential bottleneck next gen? RAM largely due to cost?

If I'm totally off just tell me and I'll step back ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back