Next-gen software and services *spawn

Xbox Live introduced universal chat in 2002. If you wanted chat that was guaranteed to work, you paid the $50 a year fee.

Xbox Live supported voice chat in 2002 but it was optional and not very well supported initially. Later on, maybe 12-18 months on, Microsoft mandated voice chat support for all Xbox games. There was plenty of issues regarding game specific implementations as well because voice chat was in it's infancy on consoles. Sony actually pipped Microsoft by a year, their PS2 network adaptors included voice chat - I remember playing SOCOM on it. Not a universal solution, though. What we have seen, unsurprisingly, is that with each subsequent iteration, the implementing of the technology has gotten better.

It's not that, it's just the implication that Sony are evil and charge for everything but MS are this wonderful company that do everything for free...which company has (and makes) the most money?

MS is bigger as a whole yes, but the gaming devision is smaller then sony's i think. Both companies are greedy but i think sony could have had BC with about every PS so far on ps4, we get remasters instead. It's called the generation of the remasters for a reason.

Let's not go down this road because the PS2 came out a while before Xbox

No idea about 360/ps3 as said, during 6th gen online was better on xbox. Sony also let you buy memory cards, mulittaps, hdd and network adaptors.

MS is bigger as a whole yes, but the gaming devision is smaller then sony's i think. Both companies are greedy but i think sony could have had BC with about every PS so far on ps4, we get remasters instead. It's called the generation of the remasters for a reason.
Company is company, you can't split it out to suit your argument.

No idea about 360/ps3 as said, during 6th gen online was better on xbox.
I should hope it was better, one was free...and as I already said, it was very niche anyway - why do you think no-one complained out of the 155m units sold!?

Sony also let you buy memory cards, mulittaps, hdd and network adaptors.
I'm unsure what your point is here or even which generation you're talking about? For PS2 you could install any HDD you wanted (if you wanted to, it was not a requirement) with Xbox you had in internal HDD but still could buy memory cards. With PS2 the TV and power leads did not require changing going from PS1, you could literally swap the PS1 with PS2 without changing any leads...also the controllers and memory cards worked (for PS1 games).With PS2 you had the multitap if you needed more than 2 controllers to input, and as I said, network adapters were not that important that gen.

As for PC, I can only talk from my experiences, and where I tried online a few times on PC, it was a nightmare.
I don't recall many issues, but I did own the sidewinder game voice so maybe that resolved the issues? It was a Friday night blast on Ghost Recon (the original)...I didn't play anything else online.

PS4 is the first console I've owned where online is robust and seamless. For £40 a year, including a couple dozen games, to not have to deal with those online headaches, it's worth it.
As I said before, I didn't have many issues with PS3, and it's not that I think it's not worth paying for a premium service (as such) - it's just that all these little bits add up, and it all started way back before it needed to (IMHO). I wish there was a fairer system in place, I don't play online much - hell my 2 boys are PC online for hours a dat - all totally 'free' but I have MS, Sony and Ninty wanting a yearly sub, which whilst not much it all adds up. I barely play online yet I'm having to pay these subs! For others who play online a lot I can see there's a lot of value...I just wish it was a bit more centralised (for want of a better word).

On the one side you could do MS Rewards and then get all of Game Pass Ultimate for free which includes online services and hundreds of games for console and PC.

At least in the US.

why do you think no-one complained out of the 155m units sold!?

I bought the PS2 launch day (own 7 now), i would never complain about the PS2 as it has the best library ever, both the PS3 and PS4 are very far from that. Nothing to do with it's online or expensive addons.

For PS2 you could install any HDD you wanted (if you wanted to, it was not a requirement) with Xbox you had in internal HDD but still could buy memory cards.

Yeah you could install any HDD i know, but you still had the buy it though. With the xbox one wasn't forced to buy mem cards, on PS2 you had to, and still need to, it's nearly impossible to save or play anything for that matter, and you needed more then one, much more then one. The multitap also had to be bought to play 4 player splitscreen, which still was a thing back then.

With PS2 the TV and power leads did not require changing going from PS1, you could literally swap the PS1 with PS2 without changing any leads...also the controllers and memory cards worked (for PS1 games).With PS2 you had the multitap if you needed more than 2 controllers to input, and as I said, network adapters were not that important that gen.

It did not require changing perhaps but they where included in the PS2 package, as it should. Dunno how you compare that to the og xbox as it was the first xbox ever launched. Network adaptors werent that important cause the PS2 didn't have much online, opposed to the xbox which had a broader online part.
The ability to use PS1 controllers/mem cards was part of the BC thingy, which the xbox impossibly could have since it was MS's first console.

Regarding PC online, it's by far the best, i think atleast, it's free and Steam does everything one can ever need, for steam and non-steam games. Before steam there was Xfire (and others) which were very good for the time, xfire could create lobbys and one could launch everyone to the same server, voice chat, group voice/chat, screenshots, video's, ingame browser, even profile pages with updates on who is playing what/uploaded screens etc. Thought it was a excellent program, xfire got killed off (by steam?), steam got all what xfire did and much better now imo, so i won't complain.
Xfire came along 2004/2005 somewhere, or before? Before that things weren't as great but i never had real trouble playing BF1942, Quake 3, UT99 etc online with friends.

On the one side you could do MS Rewards and then get all of Game Pass Ultimate for free which includes online services and hundreds of games for console and PC.

At least in the US.
yes, without it I wouldn’t have XBlive because I get next to zero value from it.

I bought the PS2 launch day (own 7 now), i would never complain about the PS2 as it has the best library ever, both the PS3 and PS4 are very far from that. Nothing to do with it's online or expensive addons.

Yeah you could install any HDD i know, but you still had the buy it though. With the xbox one wasn't forced to buy mem cards, on PS2 you had to, and still need to, it's nearly impossible to save or play anything for that matter, and you needed more then one, much more then one. The multitap also had to be bought to play 4 player splitscreen, which still was a thing back then.

It did not require changing perhaps but they where included in the PS2 package, as it should. Dunno how you compare that to the og xbox as it was the first xbox ever launched. Network adaptors werent that important cause the PS2 didn't have much online, opposed to the xbox which had a broader online part.
The ability to use PS1 controllers/mem cards was part of the BC thingy, which the xbox impossibly could have since it was MS's first console.

Regarding PC online, it's by far the best, i think atleast, it's free and Steam does everything one can ever need, for steam and non-steam games. Before steam there was Xfire (and others) which were very good for the time, xfire could create lobbys and one could launch everyone to the same server, voice chat, group voice/chat, screenshots, video's, ingame browser, even profile pages with updates on who is playing what/uploaded screens etc. Thought it was a excellent program, xfire got killed off (by steam?), steam got all what xfire did and much better now imo, so i won't complain.
Xfire came along 2004/2005 somewhere, or before? Before that things weren't as great but i never had real trouble playing BF1942, Quake 3, UT99 etc online with friends.

My point with the leads was that going from Original Xbox to 360 you had to completely start again, nothing worked. Even going to PS3 I could use either a standard HDMI cable or my old PS2 cable...withe 360 I had to shell out £50 for a half decent lead even though I already owned one for the original Xbox, the shortages were so bad.

As for your PS2 memory card comment, I only ever had 2, you’d have to play a hell of a lot of games and have multiple game save to need more!

I think we’re just going to have to agree to disagree and move on.

My point with the leads was that going from Original Xbox to 360 you had to completely start again, nothing worked. Even going to PS3 I could use either a standard HDMI cable or my old PS2 cable...withe 360 I had to shell out £50 for a half decent lead even though I already owned one for the original Xbox, the shortages were so bad.

Ah ok, well like i said i didn't get in on 7th gen cause it wasn't worth it to me. Anyway using svideo for the ps3 wasn't all that great i can imagine, even though it's nice it's possible.

As for your PS2 memory card comment, I only ever had 2, you’d have to play a hell of a lot of games and have multiple game save to need more!

Depends on what game you saved, somehow just one GTA save took almost half my 8mb memcard, no idea why but it was absurd for the time, as bigger memcards for the time, the 64mb non-sony ones werent that reliable. While some games didn't take much space at all, 8mb wasn't very much, and yes the PS2 had a monster library no console will ever come close to, was kinda hard to not-own many titles on that console, which lasted quite long.

Offcourse now theres the ability to export savefiles to the HDD/usb, but that's now :p

Ah ok, well like i said i didn't get in on 7th gen cause it wasn't worth it to me. Anyway using svideo for the ps3 wasn't all that great i can imagine, even though it's nice it's possible.

Depends on what game you saved, somehow just one GTA save took almost half my 8mb memcard, no idea why but it was absurd for the time, as bigger memcards for the time, the 64mb non-sony ones werent that reliable. While some games didn't take much space at all, 8mb wasn't very much, and yes the PS2 had a monster library no console will ever come close to, was kinda hard to not-own many titles on that console, which lasted quite long.

Offcourse now theres the ability to export savefiles to the HDD/usb, but that's now :p

For both PS2 and Xbox I had a component leads, hence my anger at having to shell out £50 for a lead for the rip off core and being happy I could utilise my current PS2 lead.

Regarding the memory cards, I didn’t play GTA so maybe that’s a factor, but did have a shedload if games and only had 2 cards...but then, if I finished games I generally deleted the same files if I needed space.

Back