Next Gen Killer Instinct?

I'm expecting Killer Instinct, a Banjo game and Kameo 2 all before the end of 2008. I think we can expect 1.5 games per year from Rare. There are almost 300 people there now.

I expect that Conker 2 will be the first game after Viva Pinata. Otherwise, what would be the point in making the remake on Xbox?

Johnny Awesome said:
I'm expecting Killer Instinct, a Banjo game and Kameo 2 all before the end of 2008. I think we can expect 1.5 games per year from Rare. There are almost 300 people there now.

That would be something special if they get it done. I had no idea they've grown that large. I hope they can keep a good grasp on the overall project with team sizes like that.

Alstrong said:
No more Mortal Kombat games... at least according to the developers. Armageddon is supposed to be the last in that universe, and that's not even a Vs. fighter.

It would be very un-Midway like for Midway not to milk the franchise for all its worth now that it's doing well again. I wonder what happened in the story that they decided to end it, since I don't think it'd be the first time if they decided to kill off all the characters or permanently banish evil.

I have only one thing to say about that. If Mario didnt have great gameplay along with the beautiful game world it wouldnt have been so popular and praised.

Honestly, I'd say Mario's world is only memorable because the games were so good. It's not that exciting of a world, especially the latest stuff in it, imo it seems like Pikmin is what occupied most of Miyamoto's creative time during the last generation.

I expect that Conker 2 will be the first game after Viva Pinata. Otherwise, what would be the point in making the remake on Xbox?

They may not have expected the remake to take so long, it was started on GameCube I believe and was first shown in 2002 for Xbox.
Not to mention I think Conker's voice actor Chris Seavor said he didn't want to do anything else with Conker for quite a long time.

Fox5 said:
Compare the amount of memory the N64 and the arcade system had. The N64 was absolutely anemic as far as memory went, I remember hearing some of the early demonstrations of what Ultra 64 would look like (that in reality looked much better than anything on the n64) were done on similar hardware, but with 64MB of faster ram than the n64 shipped with

The RAM the arcade had was for holding the graphics that it loaded off a hard drive. The only ROM chips on the board were 512KB for the main game program, and 4MB for the ADSP sound program and sound samples. All the graphics were loaded on a Seagate laptop hard drive(I own a KI2 arcade).

RAM wise, it had 8.5MB of total RAM(with 32K of that devoted to the sound system). N64(with expansion pak) had 8MB. Losing 512K makes N64 anemic?

If you remember right, the N64 version of KI2 had realtime 3d rendered versions of the levels, but the arcade version was pre-rendered.

Also, going from another angle, N64 emulation is slower than KI2 emulation.

Reznor007 said:
The RAM the arcade had was for holding the graphics that it loaded off a hard drive. The only ROM chips on the board were 512KB for the main game program, and 4MB for the ADSP sound program and sound samples. All the graphics were loaded on a Seagate laptop hard drive(I own a KI2 arcade).

RAM wise, it had 8.5MB of total RAM(with 32K of that devoted to the sound system). N64(with expansion pak) had 8MB. Losing 512K makes N64 anemic?

If you remember right, the N64 version of KI2 had realtime 3d rendered versions of the levels, but the arcade version was pre-rendered.

Also, going from another angle, N64 emulation is slower than KI2 emulation.

N64 only shipped with 4MB ram, for most games the 4MB expansion pack wasn't even a consideration.
Also, I don't think the n64 version of KI2 had 3d rendered backgrounds, I remember some scaling and rotation, but it seemed very mode 7ish. Though if the backgrounds were 3d, wouldn't that make them take up less ram?

The backgrounds were real time 3d in the N64 version(I have it also).

Having 3d backgrounds may take up less RAM, but requires much more processing power.

Also made a minor miscalculation, it's 8MB+32KB.

As an additional thought...the RAM chips on the arcade board are split into 2 banks. 16 32Kx8 chips, and 16 4Megx4 chips, so depending on how many bits are used by the CPU, it may be less actual RAM. For example, the sound CPU has 3 32Kx8 chips, but because the ADSP has a 24bit address bus, it only has 2KB of actual RAM.

TheChefO said:
True - hence "potential". Do you question Rare's ability to produce a great gameplay experience?
Nope. They have the ability. Its just that I dont know if they will put the right effort to show that ability

Nesh said:
Nope. They have the ability. Its just that I dont know if they will put the right effort to show that ability

Well thats very pesemistic of you. If you don't have a passion for what you're producing it will certainly show in the end result. I would hope they have a team that is passionate about their job, working on this title. If they don't, it will show and it will flop and they will have wasted their time and Microsoft's money. Personally I think they have a bit more pride in their work than that. We'll see.

Holy Sh!t! There's next gen KI game? I was a huge fan of the first one so I'm definitely looking forward to this - oh the memories that game brings back.

Rare's been teasing KI at every chance they get, but since they're all supposedly on Natal and we didn't see a single thing from them at E3, if it's even in development we probably wouldn't see it until late 2010. Though there is talk of MS making a bigger push for XBLA, with Shadow Complex as an example -- hold out for news at GC?

I'm not sure why but that suddenly put an image in my head of people doing "Saturday Night Fever" 70's disco dance moves to pull off combos in KI with Natal. LoL.

Regards,
SB

Ha!

Hey you know what, that could be a cool way to teach dance or other physical activities to a younger audience!

"I just got a 57 hit combo for doing the tango right!!"

Back